Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
SJ1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gwinnett County , Georgia
Question Quiet Campground near Nashville?

Am meeting some friends near Nashville, the end of June. We picked Nashville due to it being equidistant travel for all. We would like a recommendation for a quiet campground, just east of Nashville.

We don't intend to go into Nashville itself, just looking for quiet, pretty campground. We will take a few strolls and will need to do a bit of grocery shopping. No need for amusements or attractions.

This site shows Anderson Road and Poole Knobs at Percy Priest being available the dates we need.

Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov

We'll be in a '62 Overlander, and need water, electricity, and sewer.

Any recommendations or warning about these two campgrounds, or others?

Thanks very much!
SJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Don't know what days you need, but any of the COE parks around Nashville are very good. The problem might be getting a site over a weekend as most are full with reservations already. During the week might be a possiblility. The other thing is the need for sewer. All the COE's have dump stations but not all have sewer hookups. Our favorites are Cages Bend in Hendersonville and Cedar Creek in Mt Juliet. If you didn't mind being further east, the nicest one in my opinion is Defeated Creek in Carthage, Tn (not really close to Nashville) and they do have some full hookup sites. Good luck.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Cedar of Lebanon

We did a tour of Nashville on the Grayline (bus). We did not want to be in Nashville. We went to Cedars of Lebanon which is about a 20 min. drive east of Nashville. Very clean park, lots of shade and pretty. It is off of Rt. 231 just south of 40. We were there in April and it seemed quiet.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
SJ1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thank you very much for the recommendations and descriptions. They all sound lovely. I will check with the campgrounds about sites which include sewer hook-ups for the dates we need.

I appreciate your help.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
In addition to those sites previously mentioned, we like Seven Points, a Corps campground on Percy Priest Lake. They do not have sewer hookups but a dump station is available.

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
SJ1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Debbie, thanks for the recommendation. I've read nice things about Seven Points. If I'm ever in a trailer that has black and gray tanks, it'll be on the list.

Defeated Creek is unfortunately booked, so am still looking.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
There are three private campgrounds in the Opryland area. I'm not sure if they are open since the flood but if this is something that you may be interested in I will be happy to see what I can find out. Just let me know. Another place that has not been mentioned that I have been told is pretty nice is the KOA in Lebanon. Sorry that we are unable to offer you a parking place.

Debbie

Debbie
Old 06-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
SJ1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Debbie, thanks for your post. We would like to stay as far away from Nashville itself, as we can. This trip is just for quiet visiting. I'll look into the KOA. Thanks for your kind thoughts about the parking place. I just noticed that you're in Nashville. We are looking forward to camping.

Anyone have a report on CountrysideRVResort in Lebanon?

Countryside Resort - Camping in Tennessee: Front Page
Old 07-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
SJ1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
We ended up camping at Countryside and had a very pleasant stay. The owners and employees were friendly and helpful. The bath house is the cleanest I've ever seen, and nicer than the hotels I've seen in the last twenty-plus years.

The freeway noise from I-40 is audible in the campground, but as it is constant, rather than quiet and then suddenly loud, we didn't find it a disturbance.

We used 30-amp electric, but they have sites with 15 and 50 as well. We had a pull-through site which was fairly level. The sites are small, but, have room enough for another vehicle in addition to the tow vehicle and trailer. The sites have picnic tables and a metal fire pit. There are many shade trees on the sites and some lovely groves of trees in the campground, which were filled with thousands of fireflies in the late evenings.

We didn't use the pool, the golf or other sports "things", or the WiFi. The office has a small store with some RV supplies and parts, and a few grocery staples. There was always someone in the office during the posted office hours.

The campground is well maintained. It's now on my list of places I'd visit again.

Didn't see any other Airstreams there, but did see a beautiful Sovereign parked at a house in the area.

Hope that's enough of a report to give someone else an accurate impression.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
reviews

That sounds like a great place to visit. You may consider going to the reviews section on this forum and put in a CG review for this place. More folks will be able to take advantage of your review and benefit from it. Thanks for the response.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Nashville Campgrounds

My daughter just moved to Nashville, to be in an anesthesiology residency program at Vanderbilt. We are also looking for a nice, dog friendly, quiet campground close to Nashville. We want to enjoy nature, not the city. Is Countryside Resort the only one with full hook-ups? Are there any campgrounds closer to Nashville?
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
SJ1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loudruff, thanks. Will do.

Kristi, someone in Nashville would most likely have more info. I picked Countryside because we wanted to be away from the city. There are some long-term/permanent residents.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
Kristi,

I am aware of three private campgrounds in Nashville -- all in the same area -- on Music Valley Drive (near the Opryland Hotel and Camping World). I am not sure if our recent flood created problems for them. They are: Two Rivers Campground, Nashville KOA, and Jellystone Park; I think they all have web sites. They are not particularly convenient to the Vanderbilt area but I do not know of anything that would be. I would estimate a 30-45 minute drive(more in rush hour), depending on traffic. Hope this helps -- anything that I can help you with, just let me know.

Debbie
Old 07-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Campgrounds near Nashville

Here is the list so far, for other people interested in camping near Nashville. Over the next four years, I am sure we will have an opportunity to visit each and every one of them. Thanks for the information.
Two Rivers Campground, Countryside RV Resort, Nashville KOA, Jellystone Park, Seven Points, Cedar Creek, Cages Bend, Defeated Creek.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote