Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Question About Texas Coastal Exposure

First time poster here, so please be gentle.

While we are not new to RVs we are new to Airstreams. We will be picking up our new 31D within the next few days. So, here's my question: What do you think about keeping a new AS on the Texas coast for 6-8 months at a time? The other TT we had was a fiberglass unit, and after a total of 9 months in the area, within a 2 year time frame, it seemed like the salt air was beginning to take a toll on the exterior surfaces. Not only the fiberglass, but the other surfaces as well. Are we crazy to spend this much money on something that will be spending long periods in those conditions? Will an AS hold up to those conditions any better?

We appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Eric
AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, we live four houses off the Gulf of Mexico in the western Florida Panhandle. We have had our 25FB, which we bought new, for four years. Even though we have traveled extensively with our Airstream, it has spent 2/3 of its life in this rather harsh environment.

Our Lucy has some seam corrosion, but nothing that we haven't seen on inland units. We just keep Lucy clean when we are at home, and she seems to have done well.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Thanks, Brian.

Sounds like you guys are in a better area of the gulf coast than we are.

We will do our best to keep the outside as clean as possible. I'm sure that will make a huge difference. Honestly, we didn't do as good as we should have keeping the other unit clean. I guess we were spending too much time fishing.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
We stayed 5 days in Galveston State Park in '05. Had a great time. However, we had corrosion on the door hinges, the door grip and around the battery compartments.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
a friend of the family's has their AS in the keys and they say you must have your AS clearcoated. thats all ive heard. we're 4 blocks from the beach in NJ, but we wont be keeping it here b/c of parking issues (we dont have a driveway and parking it on the street isnt happening).
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
a friend of the family's has their AS in the keys and they say you must have your AS clearcoated.
So, does that mean the outer "skin" is just plain aluminum? There's nothing on it? If that were the case, it seems like the "skin" would oxidize no matter where the trailer is. Although, the salt air would definitely speed up the process.

Also, I suppose waxing the finish more often would help.

Thanks, everyone, for the input!

Eric
Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Yours is a new trailer so the panels were clearcoated by the aluminum manufacturer before they were assembled by Airstream.

I lived for a year on a sand spit in the mid-Pacific (Kure Loran Station). When the wind blew, everything got a nice salt bath. Salt and water makes a delightful electrolyte and we got very creative with anti-corrosion.

After a big blow, we rinsed everything with as much fresh water as we could afford (we caught rainwater and had a small reverse osmosis unit). Then. we liberally applied Corrosion-X with a tank sprayer to everything. It displaces water and leaves a film that seems to keep oxidation down. Worked pretty well. There are other products that do the same thing (Boeshield, Fluid Film).

I live in Miami about 1.5 miles as the pelican flies from Biscayne Bay. Lots of salt air. We just rinse rinse rinse after a big easterly (or a visit to the Keys) and so far, so good.

The solution to pollution is dilution and as much as I like conserving water, I like conserving aluminum and steel more better.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
We always without fail would hit the carwash as soon as we left the sand on the Texas coast. Very important was to wash the undercarriage where sand and salt stick
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Airstreams are a sweet trailer to tow. Why not bring her back to Keller when you're not actually enjoying the coast? Wash thoroughly when you get back, and corrosion should be kept to a minumum.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
The solution to pollution is dilution and as much as I like conserving water, I like conserving aluminum and steel more better.

mike
You have no idea how close to home that hits. I am a plater (metal finisher) by trade, and have been for 27 years. Can I use that quote at work? BTW, I could not agree with you more!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Airstreams are a sweet trailer to tow. Why not bring her back to Keller when you're not actually enjoying the coast? Wash thoroughly when you get back, and corrosion should be kept to a minumum.
The other concern I have is just how well this thing will pull. Our TV is a 2008 Tundra 5.7 with the tow package. I now it's not the ideal set-up, but we really don't plan to actually tow it that often.

It will spend most of its time on the Texas coast. We try to make it down there every other weekend for about 6 months straight during the summer and fall. Then we will bring it back closer to home for the winter and early spring.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Tundra

My Buddy works for Toyota and pulls his Overlander with a Sequoia. You probably won't even know it's behind you with the Tundra. Get the proper equalizing hitches/sway package and you'll breeze down the highway
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Our Dodge Ram 1500 tows our 22' Safari easily, even in strong crosswinds. Nicest towing trailer I've ever pulled.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote