Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Protection for Front of AS

Looking for information/advice of types of added protection for propane tank cover, stainless steel wraps and plexiglass window stone guards while traveling the various type of road conditions from the lower 48, to and from Alaska. I've read about Airstreamers using yoga mats or thick cardboard to ward off damage from road rash. If using yoga mats, what is the best solution to securely attach to the plexiglass window guards? Concerned about using card board due to it getting wet. Would like to see photos of what others have done, if possible.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Saint Robert , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Looking for information/advice of types of added protection for propane tank cover, stainless steel wraps and plexiglass window stone guards while traveling the various type of road conditions from the lower 48, to and from Alaska. I've read about Airstreamers using yoga mats or thick cardboard to ward off damage from road rash. If using yoga mats, what is the best solution to securely attach to the plexiglass window guards? Concerned about using card board due to it getting wet. Would like to see photos of what others have done, if possible.
I recently purchased a product called Rock Tamers, it slides over the hitch receiver and provides protection to front of the camper. They act as mud flaps, similar to semi-trailers/18 wheelers. I'm very happy with product.

http://www.rocktamers.com
W4NT3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Saint Robert , Missouri
Here's it mounted on TV, haven't adjusted length yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1490.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	263360  
W4NT3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
We use the Rock Tamer system also and would not tow without them. I mounted mine on the ProPride Stinger and it works very well.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Anyone use a canvas cover?

In the marine environment, canvas is used to protect the boat (particularly finished wood trim) or enclose areas of the boat from bad weather. I have wondered whether a piece of gray canvas might work on the front of an Airstream.

The canvas could start at the belly pan joint on the sidewall and angle up to the window (or possibly cover the window), go across the window, then down to the belly pan on the other side of the trailer, with the bottom of the piece following the belly pan line around the front of the trailer.

To make this work, there would have to be fasteners along the edge of the canvas.

Has anyone tried (or seen) this?

Hank
Old 05-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Try Googling "Towtector." I'm very happy with mine, as it completely protects the stone guards and everything else on the AS front. A friend put me on to these, after he towed his trailer from Colonial to Arizona, without a single rock ding on his stainless rock guards or elsewhere on the TT.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankAm View Post
In the marine environment, canvas is used to protect the boat (particularly finished wood trim) or enclose areas of the boat from bad weather. I have wondered whether a piece of gray canvas might work on the front of an Airstream.

The canvas could start at the belly pan joint on the sidewall and angle up to the window (or possibly cover the window), go across the window, then down to the belly pan on the other side of the trailer, with the bottom of the piece following the belly pan line around the front of the trailer.

To make this work, there would have to be fasteners along the edge of the canvas.

Has anyone tried (or seen) this?

Hank
IMO as rocks hit canvas covers, still would damage as canvas does not offer protection, has to be something hard. Canvas would not offer any more protection than a piece of newspaper.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Don't bother putting a bunch of stuff on the front of your trailer. All it will do is cause problems of chaffing etc. Been to Alaska twice in the past 10 years, roads are fine. Would recommend "mud flaps" for the tow vehicle though, keep the stones down.
IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
ENKAY Rock Tamers took me to Alaska and back, 12,000 miles with no dings. Still none today after 5 more year of US Highways. They cost less than one new rock guard.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Installed large mud flaps on my F250 for last summer Alaska trip and had no dings on front of Airstream.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Installed my mud flaps on an a 1 1/4 " angle iron under my bumper , they are extended 2" to the outside of the rear tires, works great and they didn't cost $150 either.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Interesting how Airstreamers want to protect things on the AS that are there to protect it. Bumps, dents and scrapes mean you travel. Shows character. You can do what you want.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I used CLEARBRA on the front aluminum. Call any new car dealer and ask them who they use. I have used it for years on my cars and trucks. Works like a charm! It will cost $100-$200 to do the tanks cover and the aluminum behind it. I have Rock Tamers too.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Looking for information/advice of types of added protection for propane tank cover, stainless steel wraps and plexiglass window stone guards while traveling the various type of road conditions from the lower 48, to and from Alaska.

Concerned about using card board due to it getting wet.
For temporary, lightweight, and low-cost, try duck-taping bubble wrap to the front of your Airstream, in however many layers you feel you need. When enough bubbles get popped by flying stones, replace it. Buy it by the roll so you have some in reserve.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Don't use bubble wrap on your stone guards or trailer

DO NOT USE BUBBLE WRAP OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT ON THE FRONT OF YOUR AS TRAILER. The bubble wrap will etch its pattern on the front of whatever you put it on, trust me as it happened to me. The vibration of the wrap against the metal will etch the pattern in and you will spend a hell of a lot of time trying to buffer it out. Leave everything off the front of your trailer and put big mud flaps on the truck. Especially big if you have a Hensley hitch as there is more room from the back of the truck to the front of the trailer for stones to fly bounce up.
IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGLG View Post
DO NOT USE BUBBLE WRAP OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT ON THE FRONT OF YOUR AS TRAILER. The bubble wrap will etch its pattern on the front of whatever you put it on, trust me as it happened to me. The vibration of the wrap against the metal will etch the pattern in and you will spend a hell of a lot of time trying to buffer it out. Leave everything off the front of your trailer and put big mud flaps on the truck. Especially big if you have a Hensley hitch as there is more room from the back of the truck to the front of the trailer for stones to fly bounce up.

Hi, I did use bubble wrap on my trailer and it does leave marks. I had mud flaps on my Lincoln too. I still got rock dings although not as many as I would have gotten without the bubble wrap and mud flaps. I also got a spider crack in my rock guard and a few rock chips in my Lincoln windshield. We were in the peak of road repairs with many truck loads of gravel being laid down. If you can go after the majority of the road work, you might not need any protection. If going again, I would use the rubber mats or go at a later date. On our way back home the roads were finished and beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4539.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	263417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4538.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	263418  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:52 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGLG View Post
DO NOT USE BUBBLE WRAP OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT ON THE FRONT OF YOUR AS TRAILER.
I stand corrected.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:47 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Airstream Logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4NT3D View Post
Here's it mounted on TV, haven't adjusted length yet.
Then you can spend another $60 or so and replace the Rock Tamer logo with Airstream logo. The mounting holes line up perfectly and it looks cool, but it's not cheap, nor is shipping from the Airstream Store. Just did it last week and love the results. Sorry, I don't have pictures.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I did use bubble wrap on my trailer and it does leave marks. I had mud flaps on my Lincoln too. I still got rock dings although not as many as I would have gotten without the bubble wrap and mud flaps. I also got a spider crack in my rock guard and a few rock chips in my Lincoln windshield. We were in the peak of road repairs with many truck loads of gravel being laid down. If you can go after the majority of the road work, you might not need any protection. If going again, I would use the rubber mats or go at a later date. On our way back home the roads were finished and beautiful.
What kind of tape did you use? Any problems with it coming loose with wet weather?
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
What kind of tape did you use? Any problems with it coming loose with wet weather?

Hi, I used a red plastic tape which comes off clean and leaves no glue or marks. It's called stucco tape. It did come loose when wet so we replaced it, as it came loose, with duct tape. Duct tape was very difficult to remove.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote