Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
-- snip -- but they were unusual years. -- snip -- visitation drop to a more normal level -- snip --
Now that is almost enough incentive to try another visit. The folks we talked to said that normally after Labor Day the park had lower occupancy. They said the reason we saw so many visitors was because all the fires pushed folks to Yellowstone when the others closed. Yes, might just work. Just might be a fantastic opportunity.

Be sure to report how it goes. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Good point. When Glacier was pretty much mostly closed, we got a lot of "drop-ins".
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Wow! Beautiful scenery, loads of hiking opportunities, abundant wildlife, fishing, kayaking, rafting, great bike trails, fablous restaurants in town, art galleries, waterfalls, local music scene, hot springs...

What a boring place to be with not much to do.
If you read my post before condemning me, I loved Jackson, and Jackson Hole. My, "There they are." comment was aimed more to the fact there are no roads to drive up over the Tetons. I'd recommend driving into Idaho and exploring the back side too! Check out the Moose reserve (although the only moose I saw was when I didn't bring my camera.)
There's lots to do, but the Tetons are so vertical, if you plan on driving over them, you won't.
Here I was:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tetons.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	302338  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Yellowstone!

Try to do the Yellowstone trip BEFORE July 4th. We absolutely enjoyed our visit during the cool (chilly) and uncrowded June. Did Montana and then stopped back to Yellowstone on the Fourth, and the crowds had landed. Traffic jams, crowded lodging, few animals, and it got hot and sweaty during the day.
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Lander , Wyoming
287 between Rawlins and Lander crosses the Oregon Trail and the Pony Express Route, which is pretty cool if you enjoy studying American history. First, north of Rawlins 287 crosses the Great Basin, an area that drains to no ocean. You will cross the continental divide twice, both entering and exiting the Basin. After Muddy Gap the road passes Spilt Rock, which was a landmark the wagon trains could see for over 50 miles as they came west. Soon the Sweetwater River parallels the road, which the pioneer trails followed. At Sweetwater Junction the Oregon Trail crosses the road and continues west over the divide at South Pass on Highway 28. Watch for the Ice Slough, which is a marshy area along a stream in which the pioneers actually found ice buried under the peat in the middle of the summer. There is a rest area at Sweetwater Junction, and inside is a bulletin board showing places nearby where you can still find wagon ruts, old pioneer campsites, etc.

Lander is indeed a pretty cool town. It’s a great place to stop for lunch and walk around the shops on Main Street. Butch Cassidy lived in Lander before he was put in prison in Laramie for stealing horses.

Before you get to Teton NP you will cross Togwotee Pass (pronounced Toe-gut-ee). Keep an eye out because the Pass is a great place to see wildlife, including grizzlies.

Before you make the trip I recommend you download the WYDOT app for road conditions. Wind and weather can impact various Wyoming roads at almost any time of the year. Believe the app if it says a road is closed to light, high profile vehicles due to high wind. WYDOT does not exaggerate conditions. Even though Airstreams are very aerodynamic, you do not want these winds rolling for trailer.
Wetfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Wetfeet - what a great description of the 287 route. I have done it a number of times from Rocky National, and knew some of the history, however, never in that depth. I will definitely check it out on our next trip thru. Thanks.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetfeet View Post
Before you get to Teton NP you will cross Togwotee Pass (pronounced Toe-gut-ee). Keep an eye out because the Pass is a great place to see wildlife, including grizzlies.
SPOT ON! I will never forget cresting the Togwotee Pass & pulling over with my family to watch a grizzly & two cubs. Then it happened...As several people watched from a safe distance, a small car pulled up to within 50’ of the grizzlies. The female driver exited with camera in hand and her leg in a CAST! She limped closer and snapped photos within 40’ as I videotaped a possible Darwin Award winner
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote