Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Preferred fuel stop.

I own a 30 ft flying cloud. I usually travel the interstate. At times it is difficult to find a fuel stop that will allow easy ingress/egress. When towing what is your preferred type fuel stop for re-fueling? Does anyone carry a five gallon plastic container filled with extra fuel for emergency just in case you can't find a suitable fuel stop?
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Unless you are on that last leg going north to Cartwright Labrador, 430 km, there is no reason to carry extra fuel.

I think you be hard to find any exit from the interstate system that was no easy off easy on and almost every one has some form of fuel stop. Now that said you will pay extra at any exit stop off the Interstate system. I have found fuel $.30 a gallon cheaper just 1/2 mile past the station just off the Interstate. At 40 gallons per stop I will drive that 1/2 mile.

Get Gas Buddy app for your phone. It gives prices and map direction.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
We carry a copy of "NEXT EXIT". It is arranged by State; then by interstate no. It lists RV friendly gas stations in "Red" and other RV friendly places like Cracker Barrels, etc also in "Red" and tells which side of interstate they are on. Probably the most used purchase for our airstream travels. It is a "MUST HAVE" as far as the "navigator's seat" is concerned.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
There is an iPhone App called iexit. Perhaps it is developed by same company as the book, but it is free and does that very thing. Of course you have to have cell phone service, so the book might be a good backup.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We usually fuel up at the truck stops. Not my favorite place, they are usually very busy and I don't want to hold up the working driver, but at 57' total length, pretty much a must. plus we need diesel, which even further complicates fueling. A necessary evil.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjcjr View Post
I own a 30 ft flying cloud. I usually travel the interstate. At times it is difficult to find a fuel stop that will allow easy ingress/egress. When towing what is your preferred type fuel stop for re-fueling? Does anyone carry a five gallon plastic container filled with extra fuel for emergency just in case you can't find a suitable fuel stop?
I do carry a back up can just in case, however I use a steel safety can. The plastic aren't.

I look for large name brand stations, quite often they incorporate a truck stop. Depending on the rig I may need diesel or gas. In my part of NC; Loves, Hess/Wilco, TA and Davis get my vote. Lots of resources out there, GasBuddy is a good one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I do carry a back up can just in case, however I use a steel safety can. The plastic aren't.

I look for large name brand stations, quite often they incorporate a truck stop. Depending on the rig I may need diesel or gas. In my part of NC; Loves, Hess/Wilco, TA and Davis get my vote. Lots of resources out there, GasBuddy is a good one.

Aaron
Where did you but the steel safety can? How much?
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Sjcjr,
To keep gas for my mower, etc, I use a 5-gal steel safety can from Gemplers.com Its Eagle brand and has a plastic funnel that fits on the spout. It is available in red, blue, or yellow for $44 plus shipping.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I just bought one of those as well. I had it with the stupid safety spout on the newer plastic fuel "cans". You can also buy them at Lowes and Tractor Supply.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
I do not carry extra fuel for my tow vehicle because of the possibility of contaminating the fuel with dust or dirt and the considerable trouble and expense involved in replacing fuel filters on modern tow vehicles.

Then again I have room for 38 gallons in the factory tanks.

Easy is in the eye of the beholder. Too, fuel station layouts do vary regionally. I can get my 30' trailer in and out of all but the smallest gas stations as long as the islands aren't saturated with cars. Sometimes, rarely, I need to get out and look, or use a spotter.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Truck Master Fuel Finder's web site usually has a "street view" of the fuel stop...the fuel stops listed are usually truck stops...the site has a section where you can enter your beginning and ending locations and it will list the fuel stops along the way whether or not interstate routes. also you can use the street view function in google maps and get a good idea of the entrance/exits of fuel stops.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Where did you but the steel safety can? How much?
I buy mine from Airgas Safety, but any good industrial supply house should have them... $45 range for a 5 gallon. I buy the JustRite brand, they are all steel, the Eagle have a plastic handle that doesn't last as well.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 05-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
I put a 90 gallon tank in the front of the bed of my TV - 15-1700 miles between fuel stops. Got tired of getting stuck in small gas stations made for cars and dealing with cars in the stations. Now I have plenty of time, and no pressure, to find a good pull through gas stop. Best thing I ever did!
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have been lucky enough that most of my trips don't require me to stay on the interstate 100% of the time. I am sure those exit apps can help. Looking at the gas stations from Google earth can help as well. The stations with the pumps parallel to the road are the ones you want. Those are much easier to get in and out of. The ones with the pumps facing the store don't want anything pulling a big trailer. I don't do truck stops. Also if you have a choice between one with a long line that is ten cents cheaper than the one across the street pick the one with higher prices and less traffic. It is worth $5 not to have to deal with penny pinchers that don't mind waiting 30 mins to get gas.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
I have an extended main tank on my F350, IIRC my total capacity is now 58 gallons of diesel. I still carry a 5 gallon can...

In all my years of traveling I have only used my emergency can for myself once, for others quite a bit more often.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
The Fuel Station Next to the Cracker Barrel Restuarant.

The Cracker Barrel Restaurant chain has done a great job of locating their sites at easy on/off interstate intersections. The food is consistent, and there is usually a choice of fuel options close to the restaurant.

Even if we do not choose to eat when we stop for fuel, the atmosphere of a "mom and pop" operation far outweighs the baroness and industrial atmosphere of a truck stop environment.

Many, many times older couples have approached us at neighborhood gas stations and reminisced about memories of an Airstream lifestyle of years ago. Never happened at a larger commercial truck facility.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
With the B190, which ran on gas, while towing a car, I couldn't back up, yet I never had any issue getting in or out of any gas station. There were a few I avoided due to obviously tight lots, and once or twice I had to wait for someone to move, but, generally, no problem.

With the trailer, since we have a diesel truck, I use the truck pumps. My tank is ~35 gallons, so any delay to the truckers will be short - certainly less than it would be for another truck in front of them. And the truck pumps have higher credit card limits and larger nozzles. Finally, if someone wants to start counting "minutes of delay incurred to another motorist," truckers slow down my commute every day where there is a hill on the beltway, so they're probably still way ahead of me. I'm not complaining - just pointing out that sometimes we're going to have to wait for one another even when no one is doing anything wrong.

I've also used some regular gas stations with our 30' trailer, and I haven't had a problem yet. And now I can back up. (I still watch for and avoid tight stations, though.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #18
insearchoffun

Currently Looking...
Mesa , Arizona
After running out of diesel in my F250 in Amarillo, had to purchase a plastic 5 gallon diesel container. Yellow Briggs Stratton. Works pretty well, but had to re-read instructions on the safety nozzle to get it right. Real trick getting the diesel engine started again. The Miles to E dash warning LIED big time. Fortunately, we were only a block for the Flying J.

Flying J (alias Pilot) offers a free RV traveler's card that gives a discount (3 cents). I've also found that I get the cash price even when using my credit card.

After the running out of fuel experience, decided to avoid doing it in the future. So for peace of mind and additional miles between fuel stops, invested about $1800 (installed) on a 50 gallon in-bed tank. It automatically transfer fuel to the main tank as needed, and gives you a constant readout of gallons in the main and aux tanks.

Finally, Gas Buddy is a great app that gives a cost per gallon where you are on any place you're going. Flags that station that is 20 cent/gallon less. Caveat of course is being able to get you rig in to the pump. I have a 30' Classic and generally don't have too much trouble. Just always be extra cautious and recruit some help for extra eyes.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My 2012 Cummins diesel manual explicitly limits bio-diesel to 5% or less. That restriction cuts out Pilot/Flying J and Loves which have placarded their diesel pumps with "may contain up to 20% bio-diesel". What a rip-off. Premium prices for a fuel mixture with substantially less BTU energy per gallon then straight diesel at the same or lower prices at Chevron or Shell which have not posted they are selling garbage from the diesel pumps.

To get traveling stop location choice, I swapped the 34 gallon stock fuel tank for a Titan under bed 56 gallon tank. That is more fuel range than my body will tolerate without a stop anyway.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
When I had my F350 Diesel. I put in an 90 gal bed tank from Northern Tool. It was about $700 with shipping and a hookup kit and fuel filter. I still have the tank. My Excursion has a 44 gal tank but it is gas. I hated having to search for diesel so I bought the tank. I hate truck stops. Truck stops seemed to be designed to waste your time.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote