Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Airstringers

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Irving , Texas
Port St. Joe, Florida

We are thinking about traveling to Port St. Joe, Florida. I saw online there are 4 different RV parks there. We would really love to hear from previous campers that could give us any information about this area. We have heard it is beautiful.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well I have been to the State Park there several times and I think they have the prettiest pristeen beaches on the Gulf. There are no drunk partying yahoos like on most beaches.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Yes, we have been to St. Joe State Park many times. It is a great park with close access to the beach ( beyond the dunes ) and plenty of good bike riding and kayaking as well. Very peaceful. If you love oysters there are a few places around. Our favorite is the Indian Pass Raw bar. Just ask, every knows it there. Worth the drive.

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
KAYAKAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Have been to the State Park at St. Joe's numerous times. Two halves to the campground (two camping loops). One half is very open. Not many trees. Benefit is that you get more breeze, and more sun along with it. More breeze and sun means less mosquitoes and more sunburn. The other half has a lot more trees and vegetation. Sites have more "separation" to them (vegetation between them) and feel a lot more private. Downside, it can get muggy in there in the summer, and bring mosquito spray and a Thermacell... the mosquitoes can get pretty vicious. I prefer the shady side.

The beaches are incredible. White sugar sand, not very many people, and as Perry previously posted, the party animals beach-go somewhere else. Port St. Joe is my second favorite camping location, only because the dunes separate you from the ocean view.

Hope this helped. -Red
Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here are a few photos from St. Joe State Park. I like St. Joe because of the Dunes and the other things to look at besides a naked beach. St. George is the place if you just want sand and nothing else. It is on the east side of Apalachicola. St Joe is on the west side. Fort Pickens and the Gulf Islands National Sea Shore are nice beaches as well of you only want beaches. Here are some photos from St. Joe.

st_joe_state_park_fl Photo Gallery by Perry at pbase.com

Perry
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Panama City , Florida
I live the next county over & I can tell you this, we loved camping at St. Joe State Park. If you want a carnival atmosphere, come to my county, it is the reason we always picked camping at the St. Joe State Park or I wish I could remember the name of the cute little quirky other RV park we used to stay with.

The advantage to the peninsula is you can stay on the bayside or the gulfside, no carnival atmosphere & you actually get to enjoy sand dunes & not condominiums. Being born & raised in my current county, I have watched in disgust the signs on the beautiful beaches go from "Please don't pick the sea oats" to "Private Property of whatever condiminium".
nobodysbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Airstringers

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Irving , Texas
Port St. Joe, FL

Thanks for all your comments, you have been very helpful. I think we are going to go ahead and plan our trip! WOOHOO!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
Pictures of park and each campsite.

This site shows photos of each campsite there. It should be helpful in determining a site to reserve.

St Joseph Peninsula State Park Campground - Photos, Information, and Reviews

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Which campground at St Joe do you want to stay at? I am pretty familiar with the sights in the Shady Pines loop.

Perry