Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Home Depot typically carries a large assortment.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
In my experience, the replaced rivets do not fail again.

Just be careful when using your pop riveter - the tip will try to slide on the final pull, and will scratch your panel unless you are prepared.

No biggie, anyway. Pat
Yes, this. I learned quickly to place a wide band of painters tape over and around the old rivet to prevent the rivet gun from jumping on the final pull when the shank snaps and scratchs the surrounding area. Only takes a few seconds to put on the tape. The scratch will last forever. Fortunately, mine is inside the cabinet above the stove.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
Good chance that Walmart rivets are not correct. If you really want to do this yourself, better to research the right rivet and get them from a source recommended here. But the more important point is the rivet involved here merely attaches the interior skin. There are others holding it in place. There is no great urgency to replace the rivet.
I think my post is in regards to researching the right rivet. That is why I mentioned what was written in the Bambi owners manual regarding two different rivet lengths. The manual says body diameter 1/8”. And the Hyper Tough rivet set has 3 different lengths or 1/8” diameter. Notwithstanding the quality of the HyperTough brand, do you happen to know which of the two lengths I mentioned in my post is the correct length for Bambi 20’?

Others have posted to go to a “big box” store and buy a rivet gun, without actually referencing any particular brand. Do you have a particular brand you would recommend? If so, I may try to find it when I spend a couple days in Cheyenne starting tomorrow.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsasf View Post
I think my post is in regards to researching the right rivet. That is why I mentioned what was written in the Bambi owners manual regarding two different rivet lengths. The manual says body diameter 1/8”. And the Hyper Tough rivet set has 3 different lengths or 1/8” diameter. Notwithstanding the quality of the HyperTough brand, do you happen to know which of the two lengths I mentioned in my post is the correct length for Bambi 20’?

Others have posted to go to a “big box” store and buy a rivet gun, without actually referencing any particular brand. Do you have a particular brand you would recommend? If so, I may try to find it when I spend a couple days in Cheyenne starting tomorrow.
Any rivet gun will work if it will reach the location. It's the aluminum rivet of the right size that is critical. Plus, you may need to drill out the old rivet if part of it is still there. Search here for more guidance. I am not familiar enough with it to provide that guidance.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:15 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I got this rivet tool because the head swivels, handy for curved surfaces and tight spaces. It stays in the camper.
https://www.amazon.com/Marson-39005-...ap_m_rp_1_1_sc

Also got this lifetime supply of rivets. I keep a small supply in a ziplock in the camper. Normally us the 1/8" diameter by 3/8" long rivet to replace the popped ones. The 5/16" long rivet works too. In a couple instances, I've aeen where the old rivet somehow worked and wore its hole into a larger diameter. The 3/16" diameter rivet fit and has held up since. No need to overthink riveting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L116P8...asp_dp_primary

Also, as mentioned above, a cordless drill with a 1/8" bit is often needed to remove the rest of the popped rivet. The cordless drill is also useful for raising and lowering the stabilizers (with correct socket attachment).
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:57 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I got this rivet tool because the head swivels, handy for curved surfaces and tight spaces. It stays in the camper.
https://www.amazon.com/Marson-39005-...ap_m_rp_1_1_sc

Also got this lifetime supply of rivets. I keep a small supply in a ziplock in the camper. Normally us the 1/8" diameter by 3/8" long rivet to replace the popped ones. The 5/16" long rivet works too. In a couple instances, I've aeen where the old rivet somehow worked and wore its hole into a larger diameter. The 3/16" diameter rivet fit and has held up since. No need to overthink riveting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L116P8...asp_dp_primary

Also, as mentioned above, a cordless drill with a 1/8" bit is often needed to remove the rest of the popped rivet. The cordless drill is also useful for raising and lowering the stabilizers (with correct socket attachment).
Thank you. This is the most useful information yet. The rivet gun you reference is the one AS Store sells, unfortunately, since I am on the road for 30+ days I will not be able to get it. Some have referenced any rivet gun from big box. I looked at Lowe’s online (for Cheyenne) and the only ones under $100 were made by Arrow (in the $20-35 range) but they had many bad reviews and people showing photos where the frame broke after just a few rivets. The one I bought at Walmart is very solid and I will test a few “in the air”. I did bring a cordless drill and my drill bits and have already drilled out the old rivet with the 1/8”. Thats was easy. I was just uncertain about length for new one and seems based on your experience, as you noted, either the 5/16” or 3/8” should work. Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #27
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Why not simply order rivets from Airstream? Pretty inexpensive, you get the correct sizes and they also have 'solid' rivets on some of trailers, especially in the showers if it has an aluminum wall. Solid rivets are totally sealed on the bottom. You don't see the bulb of the mandrel.

Also don't get a cheap rivet gun. The gun needs a strong grip on the mandrel when it is pulling. To many cheap guns start to slide on the mandrel or break off early leaving a loose rivet.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Why not simply order rivets from Airstream? Pretty inexpensive, you get the correct sizes and they also have 'solid' rivets on some of trailers, especially in the showers if it has an aluminum wall. Solid rivets are totally sealed on the bottom. You don't see the bulb of the mandrel.

Also don't get a cheap rivet gun. The gun needs a strong grip on the mandrel when it is pulling. To many cheap guns start to slide on the mandrel or break off early leaving a loose rivet.
Travelling was already underway, on a 30-50 days trip, on a new AS. Did not expect rivets to pop so soon. Anyway, yes AS sells the rivets and they tell you how many of each size as I recall. But when the Bambi owners manual also lists the rivets for interior, exterior and belly and they show two different columns for each of these with two different lengths are we supposed to just guess? I’ve sent email to AS CS support asking how am I supposed to know which one. Are there two sizes in regards to whether on the side wall interior, the roof interior or the curve between the side and roof? Anybodies guess I suppose. I did write softwar user documentation in the past and I have written many technical specs and contracts. It is not difficult to be thorough and clear, if you want.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #29
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
You really only need the two interior lengths. Most of the time you will use the shorter of the two lengths. At points of overlapping panels use the longer ones.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote