Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Theodore Roosevelt
Glacier
North Cascades
Rainier
Olympic
Crater Lake
Redwood
Lassen Volcanic

Lewis and Clark aside, this list is appealing on its own. North Cascades looks particularly interesting from what little I can see about it so far (IMO, the NPS webpages are not terribly informative). The terrain looks inviting, the lakes and peaks might make for some fun photography. Anyone with experience care to weigh in? On any of the listed parks for that matter (or places that I should have on the list).
I can't speak about TR NP (never been there), but all the rest are beautiful, especially if you get off the beaten track. Visiting them all would make a very full summer. Most of North Cascades NP is accessible only on foot. That makes it even more special. You could easily spend all winter researching them.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I agree with Doug&Maggie; read Undaunted Courage. It's excellent. River Horse sounds great also. I think I'll pick it up. This is a trip my wife and I will probably take one summer soon.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
our trip this summer

Hi Rodney,
Larry and were on the road for 3 mo. this summer going thru the N.tier of states from OH to WA and then to the SE islands of AK. The back across to home in OH. We did alot of the Lewis and Clark interpretive centers and stuff along the way. There are lots of trails and parks that lay claim to the L&C trip. The only park that has an actual forensically proven camp of the L&C expedition is Lolo SP. They have found actual evidence from the encampment that they have been able to link to the men camped there. They dug up latrines, fire pits and the camp layout. It can be accomplished in a couple of hours. Small park but no camping there.
You will want to see Glacier NP about mid July. This year the snow was finally off of Going to the Sun Rd. about July 6th and they had plenty of construction on the road so the wait time was sometimes annoying. But that is THE most beautiful place! Construction will continue for the next three years. Road repairs can only be done during its brief summer.
We found lots of evidence of claims of L&C but as far as we know Sacajawea never owned a hotel. The names are used prolifically!
You will be pleased with a great digital camera! Larry took over 5000 pictures and we are still reviewing them. Photo opportunities abound!!
PM us if you want our list of places visited!
If you decide to drive through NE Ohio make sure you stop in for a visit. We are just sw of Cleveland, and about 3 hrs. from JC.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Theodore Roosevelt
Glacier
North Cascades
Rainier
Olympic
Crater Lake
Redwood
Lassen Volcanic

Lewis and Clark aside, this list is appealing on its own. North Cascades looks particularly interesting from what little I can see about it so far (IMO, the NPS webpages are not terribly informative). The terrain looks inviting, the lakes and peaks might make for some fun photography. Anyone with experience care to weigh in? On any of the listed parks for that matter (or places that I should have on the list).
We have made stops in all of these parks except Lassen Volcanic, and they are all beautiful.

Glacier is spectacular, but the hordes of people there in August made it more annoying than enjoyable. Be prepared for that. There are many national forest sites in the surrounding area, though, which were mostly ignored by the hordes and much prettier.

I think you can't go wrong with this trip, whatever you decide to include. Such beautiful country to see!

Maggie
Old 10-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #25
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Don. Without your refrence I don't think the title would have clicked with me. But I remember it being a great read. I'm not in the habit of re-reading books a 2nd. time but maybe I should. And begin with that one.

Thanks again for reminding me of the title.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Roger,

Since I live in Lewis and Clark country I keep my copy of "River Horse" in my AS when I travel along the Columbia and Snake Rivers. Not just for Heat Moon's comments but his quotes from Lewis' and Clark's journals.

DonS

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #27
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I tried to read Blue Highways (Least Heat Moon) but found it uninteresting. Is this book more of the same, or is it different in some way?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Rodney,

I've read Blue Highway a couple of times, but I liked it. I guess if you didn't like that book you may not like River Horse because he sometimes gets bogged down in places. I've had a problem with a couple of his other books: Prairy Erth, and Roads to Quoz, both of which plod along at a slow pace.

DonS
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #29
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks again Don for the reminder. I just ordered a copy of River Horse and Blue Highway from Amazon. I rarely read a book a second time but I think this is one that I may begin with.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
(Yeah, one has a rapport with Moon and Pirsig, or not).

My initial thought was to add something different to the mix.

The L&C expedition was scientific. The take, today, from my perch is: weather anomalies and water resources (and/or capital projects, such as the Keystone XL routing); air route maps, rail maps, etc. A look at the overlay since then. Visible or not.

There is an abundance on sites dedicated to maps. This is one that ran a good long while:

The Map Scroll

See also links.

Compare/contrast is not really the point. More of, to what good use was it made? were one Jefferson himself.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #31
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Persig, I like.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote