Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2024, 08:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nashville , Tennessee
Point to point travel - Storage and other questions

We live in Nashville but we love using our Airstream out West. The only issue is the wasted time of driving back and forth. It usually takes at least 3-4 days to do so, so a total of 6-8 just getting back and forth.

Our idea now is to travel from point to point and leave our AS (and truck) in storage as we move about the country. Fly home, fly back.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

What are some issues that I should be looking out for?

What about storing the truck? We have a Ford EcoDiesel.
cjsigmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 08:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsigmund View Post
We live in Nashville but we love using our Airstream out West. The only issue is the wasted time of driving back and forth. It usually takes at least 3-4 days to do so, so a total of 6-8 just getting back and forth.

Our idea now is to travel from point to point and leave our AS (and truck) in storage as we move about the country. Fly home, fly back.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

What are some issues that I should be looking out for?

What about storing the truck? We have a Ford EcoDiesel.
Guess you need to consider "where" out West your wanting to store these expensive AS and TV...if you don't keep them covered where your storing, there are several concerns to keep in mind; keeping the batteries charged being only one major concern. If fully enclosed, best option, but costly. We travel to from TX to WY/MT each summer and are gone for 4-5 months, leaving our GLE350 in the garage. We plan our trips to take advantage of areas we like, and stay a night or sometimes 2 in locations along the way we enjoy. If your in a "hurry" with limited time, I can see where 3-4 nights might be an issue for some. But, worrying about your "investments", without being able to check on them yourself due to distance is a consideration for sure. We came home this past September, and the GLE had dead battery. Pain to change out in this car, as it also has a small backup battery under the rear seat. AAA got us going, but still, something to think about when leaving vehicles for long periods. Also, if not well protected from theft, there is that concern. My buddy has a Mini Winnebago 25' TT. He keeps it where we keep ours, in a "secure" gated covered RV parking area, with surveillance cameras, close to where we live. He was gone a month, and when he came back, someone had removed all 5 wheels/tires and left his unit on blocks! Surveillance camera did not catch it, due to angle of his rig and two larger rigs on either side. He had off road type 15" wheels, so likely they just wanted the tires, but easier to take the whole wheel assembly. Lot owners thought he had removed the wheels to do some work for some reason and never questioned it was on blocks for a few days. Not a common occurrence, but stuff happens.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I always have a handful of "Projects" that are half finished or in the planning stage. I want to re-do the rear camera, measure the propane lines and replace before it's needed, or add a gas strut to an overhead cabinet. My unit is in a covered storage 30 miles away, and it's a pain.
I can't imagine it being 2000 miles away.
I also enjoy going to it and not taking it out, just relaxing.
I'm envious of the people who have a Barn/Garage and it's at home.
You'll be watching the weather to see if it froze and you wonder if there's a broken pipe.

You'll be trading those 3-4 driving days for 3-4 'getting ready' days.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:23 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Fly in, rent a car, get a room, visit your sites, fly home. No muss, no fuss.

Raises a question, tho. Why did you buy the Airstream in the first place if you don’t like the traveling aspect of it?
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
Fly in, rent a car, get a room, visit your sites, fly home. No muss, no fuss.

Raises a question, tho. Why did you buy the Airstream in the first place if you don’t like the traveling aspect of it?
ohhhh; the question we all are thinking!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 04-14-2024, 10:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
It's an interesting thought experiment. Like most of the responders here I can't see that it makes much sense in terms of finding a secure location and just the sheer hassle. It might make a little sense if you stop at an RV park, store it there, go home for a short period of time, mow the grass, etc., and then fly back and resume the trip for a month or so. First, I'd try and find more interesting stops between Nashville and out West somewhere (there are a lot of them, even in Kansas).
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:37 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
People do it. A lot.

This turns out to be pretty common. A fairly large group of people who go to the same area summer after summer often store their units locally over the winter. Mostly, these folks have a single campground they use. While I haven't heard of anyone who travels about once west doing that it could be done.

In theory, if you had a good storage place you could trust near an airport it might work out. It would add dramatically to your camping on site time if it worked. For someone with limited time to travel, it is an interesting idea. That said, in addition to the cost, lack of accessibility to your AS, and so forth already mentioned, one suspects that shuttling between airport and Airstream would be a PITA.

If you do try it, report back so we can hear about it.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Good question and nothing wrong with considering other options. If you are working I certainly understand. If retired, I also understand.

When I was working my wife was not. One time I was out of town on business. I prepacked most stuff in the RV and flew out to meet my wife and kids w/n a day of our first stop of a 6 week trip.

2nd option - take longer trips and drive longer days to get there. That way the 6 travel days don’t seem so bad and could be cut to 4. We could make the Grand Canyon from Charlotte, NC in 3.5 days so you could make it in 2.5 from Nashville.

3rd option - Purchase a full time spot somewhere out west with reasonable year long weather. Keep your RV and TV there and fly back and forth like you want. Battery tender on your RV and truck.

4th option - sell your RV and rent one for your western trips. Or, keep your RV and rent one for the far away trips. We have rented RV’ s for Alaskan and New Zealand trips even when we had an RV at home.
GOUSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:19 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2023 16' Basecamp
Grapevine , TX
My wife and I found a lot of places in the new mexico angel fire area that had covered storage with tall and large roofed buildings for RV and TV storage. We looked at this area because it was 8 hours from 12 national parks or monuments and many state parks.
GVBasecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:25 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Wilmington , NC
Stored Out West 3 Times

We have stored ours two or three months each, once in Arizona, once in California and once in Montana. We live in North Carolina. The main issue is finding a suitable storage place. That can take a lot of effort as they are mostly full. We are kinda picky, however.
Bob Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:46 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2023 22' Bambi
2024 25' Trade Wind
Durango , Colorado
4 Corners region work?

My husband and I are in the same boat but backwards traveling to the south and east to visit the sea during colder weather here. Most of our trips have started with packing the Airstream in a snowstorm and broom'ing several inches of snow off the PV panels on the roof just prior to pulling onto the county road to start our trip. We have loved our 3 or 4 days to "there" but have seen much of the in between over the years, and, sometimes, you just want to be "there" already!

Let me say I have no connection with this business but I was researching for some personal storage needs and had found this local business months back. It is a storage business that has great reviews on both Chamber of Commerce [CoC] and Google and it's located in Durango which is the 4 Corners region, SW Colorado. The name is Armadillo Storage and you can find the website and see some reviews the CoC website so you can make your own decision.

I don't know much more about them but it could help you maybe for a 3-season year of travel if you planned out your trips. Durango has a nice airport and it would be just a short ride to the storage yard south of town.

Durango also has some great RV parks in beautiful locations while you get your rig ready for travel and its very central to great journeys.

Best of luck with a decision!
Maggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:37 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
We do exactly what you’re asking about. It works very well for us. We have the same issue as you - but an order of magnitude worse. It’s weeks of driving for us to get to places we want to go in the lower 48 from Alaska. Instead of driving down and back each time, we’re gradually seeing the country with point-to-point trips.
We’ve stored the truck and Airstream at all sorts of places around the country. Sometimes we store them together and use Lyft to get to the airport and other times we have stored the trailer one place and stored the truck at a long-term airport parking facility. Private airport parking places can have quite reasonable long-term rates. For the trailer, we’ve stored it at boatyards, regular storage places (we always get covered), people’s garages, a repurposed indoor horse arena, and it’s currently in an underground mine. Neighbor.com and stowit.com are good sites for finding private storage rentals. Our favorite storage places were through those. Standard commercial storage yards are our least favorite, although most are fine. Indoor storage is by far the best and what I focus on finding.
It does take quite a bit more planning and coordination to do point-to-point trips where you’re always storing at a new place and flying home. You can’t transfer things between house and trailer so you want the trailer to be fully, independently stocked. We try to keep a separate set of everything in the trailer, including clothes, so we minimize what we have to haul back and forth. You also need to time your perishables consumption to minimize the amount you have to toss at the end of the trip since you can’t just bring it in the house.
Overall the downsides are manageable and for us being able to see the whole country without extra weeks of driving each trip is more than worth the hassle of finding storage places and getting to airports.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
We do exactly what you’re asking about. It works very well for us. We have the same issue as you - but an order of magnitude worse. It’s weeks of driving for us to get to places we want to go in the lower 48 from Alaska. Instead of driving down and back each time, we’re gradually seeing the country with point-to-point trips.
We’ve stored the truck and Airstream at all sorts of places around the country. Sometimes we store them together and use Lyft to get to the airport and other times we have stored the trailer one place and stored the truck at a long-term airport parking facility. Private airport parking places can have quite reasonable long-term rates. For the trailer, we’ve stored it at boatyards, regular storage places (we always get covered), people’s garages, a repurposed indoor horse arena, and it’s currently in an underground mine. Neighbor.com and stowit.com are good sites for finding private storage rentals. Our favorite storage places were through those. Standard commercial storage yards are our least favorite, although most are fine. Indoor storage is by far the best and what I focus on finding.
It does take quite a bit more planning and coordination to do point-to-point trips where you’re always storing at a new place and flying home. You can’t transfer things between house and trailer so you want the trailer to be fully, independently stocked. We try to keep a separate set of everything in the trailer, including clothes, so we minimize what we have to haul back and forth. You also need to time your perishables consumption to minimize the amount you have to toss at the end of the trip since you can’t just bring it in the house.
Overall the downsides are manageable and for us being able to see the whole country without extra weeks of driving each trip is more than worth the hassle of finding storage places and getting to airports.
I can see your use model, coming from Alaska and that does make sense for sure. I have talked with some folks from Europe last year in Glacier who kept their SOB TT and TV in Washington storage somewhere in Seattle area.

We are retired now, but even when I was still working, we looked forward to traveling/camping from home to our MT destination; looking for new routes and places to see...even that can get old after a few trips, so I get it. We now try to only go 250-350 miles a day now in our trips from TX to WY each year....still, look ahead at our routs and try to find "new" interesting places we have not been to... including restaurants! We have also some locations we try to stay each trip for a night or two, like Moab, Capital Reef, Zion, etc. Hardest/most "boring" for us is, getting out of TX!