Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Please help me find fun camping in Oregon!

Hi! I live in Portland and would love to find a place to go for an easy trip to take the girl out for her first time of the season. I don't want to venture too far, but would like to find something that feels like I am 'camping'. It doesn't seem like it should be too hard
Thanks, Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Pam, Our favorite place to camp is Vernonia, both the city park and Airport park for boon docking. We hope to get out to both parks this summer. The city park has full service and is just 2 blocks from the grocery store so no worries about stocking the refrigerator.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Camping Around Portland

Not sure how far you want to travel but Island Cove Park at Sauvie Island is a nice little RV park with several Airstream always parked there. We have also camped at an RV park on the Washington side of the columbia at Hood River. The drive down highway 14 to Hood River is beautiful. And of course if you like the beach Cape Lookout State Park in Tillamook is not that far.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
There's a nice park in Hood River County (county park) called Toll Bridge Park. We lived about a mile from this park for almost 40 years and in nice weather it is beautiful. When our house sold last fall we camped there for almost 2 weeks while we finished up cleaning out our house and shop. Lots of tall fir and cotten woods. River right close by. Lots of hiking close by. Nice little town near by, Parkdale, with a nice little store if you want something in the grocery or hard ware line. We were up there about a week and a half ago and it was beautiful.

Anne Marie
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
You can take it from your neighbor in Virginia - Ft Stevens SP is the bomb. Mouth of the Columbia, shipwreck, bombed in WWII, Lewis & Clark site.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Pam;

I agree with Pat. Fort Lewis, a little west of Astoria is a great site. You can go on line under Washington and Oregon State Parks and you will find several up along the Columbia Gorge as well as up and down the entire coast line. We try to get up in that area whenever we can. We were in Astoria a couple years ago and stayed at Ft. Lewis.

Happy Camping

Bob
Four Corners Unit/CAC
TAC CO - 7
WBCCI # 10105
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Yes, Fort Stevens! It's a ways to drive but so much to see and do around there. Some pics and links to the park at fort stevens | 'STREAMING

Closer to home is Timberlake Campground, on the Oregon side of the Gorge near The Bridge of the Gods. Not very rugged--nicely groomed, close to civilized things like Maryhill Museum and Skamania Lodge--but a beautiful drive and easy to get to (leroy’s place | 'STREAMING)

Let us know where you went! I'm always looking for new spots close to Portland for a quick overnight getaway. This is a good topic : )
RG Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
thanks!

Thank you all for the replies! Looks like I have some investigating to do...

I would really like to find some place to go where everyone is not right on top of each other. Is that a realistic dream? A little bit of outdoor heaven in my Airstream...
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Hi, Pam!

You're getting some good suggestion here! We're at the Nehalem Bay State Park campground this weekend, and think it's just beautiful. Just a short walk to the beach, but the camp sites are behind a sand dune so it cuts down on the wind. We also like Ft. Stevens, and Silver Falls State Park is a short drive from Portland that has some beautiful hiking trails around the waterfalls. I've also heard that Champoeg Park just south of Wilsonville off of I-5 is a nice one, but haven't been there myself. Good luck & happy camping - we'd love to see pictures too!
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
If you feel like taking a longer drive, we recently stayed at Tumalo State Park in Bend. Very nice park and helpful park hosts. Enjoy.
Bill&Dalene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Here's another choice, about 3 hours east on I 84. Boardman Marina and RV Park right on the Columbia River (541-481-7217). Large grassy sites, well kept, clean, full hookups if wanted, rest rooms, showers, dump station. Mostly back-ins, but a good number of pull-thrus. They take reservations, but I've never found it necessary midweek. Watch the tugs and barges travel by and maybe the sternwheeler, too. Well east of the mountains, so you are in a different world than the valley.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
One of my favorite quick weekend getaways is Spruce Run Campground, located about 5 miles south of MP 20 on Hwy 26, on Lower Nehalem River Road. It's a nice campground that has several sites that back right up to the river and there's a small lake just two miles up a logging road that is stocked with trout! It seems to fill up quick in the summer, but if you go on a nice weekend in late fall or early spring, there's always sites available.

My second choice is Nehalem Falls Campground if Spruce Run is full. This campground is just 14 miles down the same road as Spruce Run. Unfortunately a bridge got washed out a few years ago, so you now have to backtrack all the way to Hwy 26 and come at it from Hwy 53; doubling the mileage and time it takes to get to Spruce Run. The advantage is this campground doesn't see near the visitors as it used to because of the washed out bridge, so finding a site here is a pretty good bet.

Enjoy!
'?? AS 25FB?
Portland, OR
OBS F250 is offline   Reply With Quote