Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #41
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by daymonjones View Post
I am so envious, my fantasy is to tow to Fairbanks.
That's the beginning—lots of places to see wherever there are roads. Fairbanks is a central point to rest up, re-provision, wash off the vehicles, rest some more, go to the museum, plan more. Fairbanks is a pretty unimpressive city though the University museum is good. The best commercial campground is Santa Land, about 10 miles east of Fairbanks in North Pole. They had a truck wash there, but I don't think it was free. About 3 blocks west of Santa Land is a good Chinese restaurant.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We made the trip 3 years ago....as far as phone service, we have Verizon, and for $20.00/month, you can get coverage in Canada. We had service in most towns, but sometimes in the boonies, lost it. In Alaska, the same deal, only for a couple days we were out of range...
Good experience!
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
We have a 'legal' question: our Texas car inspection windshield sticker is expiring in August 2013. As we're planning to be on the road, starting May 2013 until the summer of 2014: how do we handle the (soon to be) expired sticker?

We called the DPS in Austin, TX and they told us that we could get a ticket if we drive around other states with an expired sticker ... but how do we get our car inspected in Texas when we won't be anywhere near Texas?
For the record, our official address, while we travel, will still be in Texas.
jornvango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornvango View Post
We have a 'legal' question: our Texas car inspection windshield sticker is expiring in August 2013. As we're planning to be on the road, starting May 2013 until the summer of 2014: how do we handle the (soon to be) expired sticker?

We called the DPS in Austin, TX and they told us that we could get a ticket if we drive around other states with an expired sticker ... but how do we get our car inspected in Texas when we won't be anywhere near Texas?
For the record, our official address, while we travel, will still be in Texas.
Howdy!

Inspection sticker should not be a problem. We fulltime and ours expires on occasion. We have it inspected upon our return to Texas. Now registration is differant, you should renew it during your travels. I understand you can now renew your license plates online.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #45
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Escapees may help you. I believe they help people register their vehicles in Texas, so they must have a method to solve this problem. They'll also hold mail (and forward too I think) and do other things for people on the road for a long time. The alternatives are to register the vehicle in another state where you have friends or relatives and they don't have inspections, or check with other RV organizations since this is a common problem for RV'ers. NM registration fees are pretty low and maybe you have someone there who can help you establish residency.

I doubt any cop far from Texas would know about the sticker, but why take a chance? I think this is simpler to solve than it looks at first.

Gene

Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
An TX inspection can be done any month. As many times annually as one wants. Only the registration is month-specific.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #47
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Now I remember, the OP would be gone more than a year and would need a second inspection while far from Texas. The problem is states think you should live in them and not be on the road all year, but some people really don't live any one place. For those, there are solutions as I suggested above.

You can also establish residency in some states with only a maildrop which will forward mail to you while on the road at predetermined locations. Private mail offices do this. Escapees is an organization that makes it easier to do the same thing. In some states, this is OK, or used to be before it became hard to get a driver's license or vote in some states.

Gene

Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
THanks, Gene, missed that. Seemed too easy.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Last day at work today.
Final trip to San Antonio scheduled for tomorrow to drop off some stuff.
Heading out on Sunday!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Jornvango,

Good Luck and Safe Travels! Going to Alaska with our AS is one of our bucketlist trips. Like everyone else, I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #51
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Looks like you left today and your adventure. I hope you have a great trip. Did you sell your house? Arrange for mail drops, various renewals and all the other stuff that tends to tie us to a specific place?

It is only May and don't be surprised if you run into snow, even before you get to the Canadian border. A combination ice scraper/snow brush and is good thing to have.

Let us know what you see and take plenty of photos.

Gene

Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Yes, we sold our house in Austin. We left on the trip yesterday around lunch time.

We slept at San Angelo state park last night in the North section. Very quiet and we saw some prairie dogs; didn't know they lived in this area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-103006095.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	619.3 KB
ID:	185265

Currently driving north of Big Spring, TX. Heading towards New Mexico.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
We are also on our way. Currently on Victoria Island, BC. Will. Catch the ferry in prince Rupert may 18. If anyone sees us stop by.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #54
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
tbaugh, are you taking the the Alaska state ferry? Be aware that they load and exit from the side, not the front and back like most car ferries. That means you have to back into the narrow lanes or maybe even up or down the ramp. Practice backing. I've had different guys directing traffic on the boat tell me completely different things at the same time. Be prepared.

The ferries are nice, but loading is crazy.

Gene

Old 05-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
Yep, I was aware of that. I hope I'm good enough. Have been on the road since jan and have had a lot of recent practice. I hope they have patience though. Thanks for the thoughts. We have been planning this for a long time.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #56
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornvango View Post
Yes, we sold our house in Austin. We left on the trip yesterday around lunch time.

We slept at San Angelo state park last night in the North section. Very quiet and we saw some prairie dogs; didn't know they lived in this area.

Attachment 185265

Currently driving north of Big Spring, TX. Heading towards New Mexico.

Have a great Trip !! If you going through New Mexico, you may want to consider a couple of days in Taos ..great place
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Eagle River , Alaska
Good luck on your trip north! More than two weeks ago, I drove from Alaska to Arizona to pick up my Airstream, and just spent time in Grand Canyon and Zion National Park on this return leg. I'm now in Seattle getting the Airstream ready for the long haul up the Alaska Highway. I will have logged more than 9,000 miles by the time I get home to Alaska!! I've driven the Alaska Highway 18 times, so let me know if you have any specific questions. Be well, be safe, and happy travels ... maybe we'll see each other on the road!!
borealis2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
I started a trip blog. It's available by clicking here: Roadtrip RaKeT

P.S. Prior entries on the blog are in Flemish / Dutch ... in case you're wondering if you had too much to drink. All entries for the Alaska trip are in English
Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Have a Great trip !!
We will be headed up through the the Rockies " US and Canadian" next week, then on to Alaska .
Have not driven up since 1970 and looking forward to a bit more paved roads
than were there 43 years ago. See ya along the road !
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

According to DriveBC, the government site for road conditions:

Flooding Highway 37 Both directions - The Hwy is closed in both directions 12 km north of Dease River Bridge because of flooding. (80 km north of Dease Lake). Water levels remain high. No estimated time of opening. Detour not available - alternate route via Alaska Hwy. Next update at 10:00 am May 31st. Updated on Fri May 31 at 6:29 am PDT.
----------------------------

If one is northbound on the Cassiar, it would take some pondering to decide whether to turn back or wait it out.
From Dease Lake it is only a couple of hundred kilometres, maybe a two hour drive, to the Alaska Highway.
But to backtrack south on the Cassiar, then east on Hwy 16 to Prince George, then north to Dawson Creek, and finally northward on the Alaska Highway would be about 2,350 km, likely a four day drive
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote