Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Planning Advice - Maine to Chicago

I'm doing some more arm chair planning as we gear up to go fulltime next year. We plan to spend next summer and early fall in the northeast, Maine mostly, which is one of our favorite states of all time. We need to stop in and see relatives in the Chicago area in mid to late October. Looking at a map, I see 3 basic routes: 1) stay in the US, south of the Great Lakes and drive thru New York, PA and Ohio, 2) go into Canada staying north of Lakes Ontario and Erie and drive through Michigan or 3) go into Canada staying north of all the Great Lakes except for Lake Superior and drive south through Wisconsin.

We love natural scenery and wildlife and prefer state and national parks over commercial campgrounds. From this perspective, one of the Canadian routes seems best but when I look at the rates for Canadian parks, they seem ridiculously high especially when you add in the daily use fee per person. I'm curious to see what others have to think about these routes and what your experiences were. Are there any must-see sights along the way and is there any low or no cost boondocking available?
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I just know when you hit Ohio and get to cleveland you get smacked with a bunch of tolls ($$$$$$). We went south to Hwy 20 south of Cleveland and took it to Illinois. We really enjoyed that part of OHIO it was a great drive. We came out to I57 and headed to Chicago.

Brian
Old 09-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Keep on mind that lots of campgrounds in Ohio, Pennsylvania, NY will begin closing in October.

If you need hookups, plan accordingly.

Maggie
Old 09-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I just know when you hit Ohio and get to cleveland you get smacked with a bunch of tolls ($$$$$$). We went south to Hwy 20 south of Cleveland and took it to Illinois. We really enjoyed that part of OHIO it was a great drive. We came out to I57 and headed to Chicago.

Brian

OK, I'm trying to figure this one out. The only toll road I know of in northern Ohio is the turnpike. Stay off of it, and it's free!

Also, if you want to stay in the Cleveland area and explore the south shore of Lake Erie & the islands, you've got some great camping options!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, Ohio state parks are very nice, also take Passport America Sun-Thurs.

Maggie
Old 09-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
Maine - Water or Mountains?

If you want to see some beautiful scenery in Maine, you can't miss Acadia National Park. If your rig isn't too big, Blackwoods Campground in the national park is great. There are many commercial campgrounds outside the park that are very nice. US 1 runs up and down the coast and is very scenic. Of course, where we live in Boothbay Harbor, you'll find a great place to explore lighthouses, islands, fishing, and of course lobster! There are also many great state parks inland where it really becomes a wilderness. Baxter State Park is one of the best. Have a great trip!
2023 GMC Denali 3500
kdinnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Try to avoid Acadia during July and probably August, if you can, or be prepared to be shoulder to shoulder to the unwashed masses. Not really unwashed, but really masses.

Crazy, crazy busy during those times.

Maggie
Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
courtesy parking

And if you decide to go through northern Ohio, you can courtesy park with us. We have full hookups and are just off of the highways. We are about 25 mi. sw of Cleveland. You can "pm" us when you are coming this direction.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
My wife and I met Larry and Lou at the first TAC ralley and they let us Stay at their house on our drive back. It was great and they were wonderful people. We left their house and took 20 the rest of the way to Illinois. Larry and Lou again thanks for letting Adrienne and I stay at your place. This is my last year teaching and hopefully we can make it back to Ohio. You folks live in a beautiful State.

Brian
Old 09-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Thanks

Thanks for the kind words, Brian. We would love for you to come back to our driveway! Happy trails!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
You can't beat Michigan's U.P. for scenery in early October. There are many, many camping options and many state campgrounds are open all year..lot's of boobdocking too. Traveling from east to west, there's the Soo locks, then Tehguanamem(spelling?) Falls, then Picture Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore, then the beautiful shorline of Lake Superior through Marquette, then on to Porkupine mtns. From there you can continue on to the Apostle islands and/or go south through Wisconsin. Sounds like a great adventure. One thing you will like about the UP is the lack of tourists and crowds, and the friendly locals.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Try to avoid Acadia during July and probably August, if you can, or be prepared to be shoulder to shoulder to the unwashed masses. Not really unwashed, but really masses.

Crazy, crazy busy during those times.

Maggie
We been many, many times and always go after Labor Day. Kids are back in school, the weather is cool, bugs are gone and the park is much less crowded. Bargains can often be had since the retailers will be closing for the season soon. I agree it's the best time to go.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdinnar View Post
If you want to see some beautiful scenery in Maine, you can't miss Acadia National Park. If your rig isn't too big, Blackwoods Campground in the national park is great. There are many commercial campgrounds outside the park that are very nice. US 1 runs up and down the coast and is very scenic. Of course, where we live in Boothbay Harbor, you'll find a great place to explore lighthouses, islands, fishing, and of course lobster! There are also many great state parks inland where it really becomes a wilderness. Baxter State Park is one of the best. Have a great trip!
We been countless times. Maine is our favorite state and Acadia our favorite park. We retire next summer and Maine is first on our list of places to visit as we begin our fulltiming lifestyle. Previous visits were never more than a week and we always stayed in inns or hotels. This time will be staying a month or more and camping in our new AIrstream. We can't wait.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
You can't beat Michigan's U.P. for scenery in early October. There are many, many camping options and many state campgrounds are open all year..lot's of boobdocking too. Traveling from east to west, there's the Soo locks, then Tehguanamem(spelling?) Falls, then Picture Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore, then the beautiful shorline of Lake Superior through Marquette, then on to Porkupine mtns. From there you can continue on to the Apostle islands and/or go south through Wisconsin. Sounds like a great adventure. One thing you will like about the UP is the lack of tourists and crowds, and the friendly locals.
I've always read good things about Michigan's U.P. I remember seeing some beautiful photographs of fall foliage from this area which made me want to go there and see this for myself. Right now, I'm leaning for taking this route.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fergus , Ontario
The Ontario parks do not have per person charges unless you are thinking of day use parks only. You pay one camping fee per night and have use of all facilities, trails, beaches, etc. Showers are free and water fill-up and dumping stations are included. Look for radio free campgrounds if you want to stay away from the rowdies.Old Quebec City and Montreal are worth seeing. Ottawa is very nice and has biking trails everywhere. Algonquin park is our gem with moose often seen by the roadside and trails everywhere. Lots of canoeing.
We pay around $45 Canadian/night in a provincial park for a 25' trailer and the fee only includes electrical. We think this is expensive but the lots are usually a good size. People start booking online in February for the summer to get the best spots. The online service rates every site and shows a photo. You can only book 5 months in advance.
You can camp for free on Crown land but you will have no services. Most of these areas are in the north and accessed via gravel lumber roads. See if you can find the areas on the Internet. Caution: if you camp beside a road being actively used by lumber trucks you will be covered in dust (unless it rains) and you have to be very careful driving during the day Monday to Friday as the trucks drive fast and often take your side of the road on a curve.
Happy planning!
curioscat is offline   Reply With Quote