Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Planning a Trip to Florida - Need Advice & Suggestions

Taking into consideration hot and cold weather, hurricanes, red tides, alligators, anacondas, mosquitos and giant bugs, crowds (e.g., spring break), high cost of tourist attractions, crime, and other negative detractions, what are the best times to visit Florida? (Good grief, I think I may have just talked myself out of this trip.)

Never having been to Florida, we have been considering a trip for several years. However, there always seems to be something on the news to discourage us from going. Now that watching a space shuttle launch is no longer on our bucket list (missed it), and that about the only things I think I'm interesting in seeing are Ernest Hemingway's old haunts in the Keys and Epcot/Disney World, is a roadtrip justified? Or, should we just fly there (from Arizona), rent a car, and stay in hotels for a week or two?

I welcome any advice and/or suggestions...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
No take your Airstream, tour the complete state and then upload your impressions and campsite reviews to Google Earth (like you did in the west).

See now you have a purpose. not just some holiday....lol
Once done, please send it over to me as you did in the past.

But what ever you do watch out for the herd of Canadians that invade Florida every winter....lol they can be down-right hostile!

Cheers
Doug
Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Just stay in Arizona. You probably will not like green grass, rolling hills with trees, crystal clear springs, and pristine white sand beaches. You will miss the dirt blowing in your ears.

Key west is a long haul. I like the idea of just flying there if you want to go. If you fish, dive, drink beer, and have a whole bunch of money to spend at it Key West is your place. I bought a poor drink and watched the sun set and went home. Read the Old Man and the Sea again and go to Marco Island instead.

I spend 3 months a year in Dade City and like the rural areas in central Florida. Horse and cattle farms and orange grooves ( at least for a while). There are a whole lot of old folks to deal with when you try to eat out though.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Actually, my wife and I are pretty adventurous, and have survived camping in remote sites with wild animals, earthquakes, volcanoes and calderas, and all kinds of snakes, creepy-crawlies and bugs, on our roadtrips in the Rockies and the West. So, we figure Florida will just be a different kind of adventure. However, we have never encountered hurricanes, alligators or spring-breakers.

If you could pick a month or two when the weather is relatively calm (especially, no hurricanes, tornados or hail), when would be the best time to go? We planned on visiting Florida this past spring, but the black ice and tornadoes in the southeast delayed our departure so long that we couldn't make the round-trip and return to Arizona in time to meet other commitments.

Last year, I bought the old classic movie, "The Old Man and the Sea"; and Hollywood just doesn't have any actors like Spencer Tracy anymore. We just want to see some of the places associated with Hemingway.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:07 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We're going in October and staying through January. This will be our first extended winter in the Airstream. We're starting out in Gulf Shores, AL and working our way east. I don't like to stay in one spot more than a week, so we're planning on moving about every 7 days trying out different state parks and private campgrounds. I use RV Park Reviews a lot for recommendations. We'll probably hit Disney for a few days. If you look at their calendar, they price Ft Wilderness according to the demand. We're looking for the cheapest days possible knowing that's when there will be the fewest people in the theme park. Naples is one of our stops. My kids have rented a house on Marco Island for a week after Christmas so we'll be close to them for a few days. The state parks on Key West are almost impossible to get into. If someone knows a trick on how to book a site at Bahia Honda State Park, please let me know. I go into Reserve America 11 months to the second their calendar is open, and everything is booked already. After Florida we're drifting over to LA and doing the Mardi Gras caravan with the Airstream folks. A few weeks after that, we're doing the LA Bayou caravan. After finishing up in LA, we're heading to Texas and places west. Time frame? Haven't figured it out yet. 6 months? Year?
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
if you've got the flexibility, the "shoulder seasons" of October & November and April & May are very nice, decent weather and fewer snowbirds. April & May will be hurricane free, guaranteed. October & November is in the peak hurricane season but these things aren't like tornadoes that spring up without warning.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I vote for flying there, too.

You can probably get a cheap flight into/out of Orlando, rent a car, and make the absolutely beautiful drive down thru the Keys to Key West. Explore that area, and come back up.

The drive down is worth the trip, and you'll want to stop a lot. Easier without pulling a trailer.

Another time, when you want to explore the east coast, come thru the panhandle, which is also beautiful, see St. Augustine, etc., and move north.

Maggie
Old 08-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
How long is this trip going to last and how much of it do you want to spend getting there? The best time to go to FL is in the winter months if you don't like heat and humidity. October is not a bad time either but it will still be a bit warm. You don't want to be down there at spring break or around Christmas time. Also the complete summer vacation season would be a bad time. Camp Wilderness at Disney is supposed to be real nice for camping.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Whether you go to the Keys or not is up to you. I vote yes and think it's worth it. If you are retired military you can camp very reasonably and stay at the Navy base there. Great place. If not, yes, camping in winter season can be $$$$$$. Whatever you do you must include a few days around the Everglades. The national park and the surrounding area is a must and you'll love it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Having lived for some time in AZ and FL I can tell you that there is a world of difference as far as terrain and weather. You're already used to urban sprawl so the city centers and traffic will feel the same.

If you have the time (4-6 weeks) taking the trailer would be worth it as there is a lot to see and do on the way and you should allocate time for getting there and back. If you don't have the time then flying is an alternative. But Florida is as long as TX is wide and driving from motel to motel may keep you from experiencing alot of the remote and historical spots. Key West has a lot of history as does St. Augustine and Tampa. There are a lot of nice campgrounds in north and central FL and most have hookups. There are many neat coastal towns that share a refined elegance and backwoods "cracker" style.

Crowds start arriving from Thanksgiving and stay til Easter but January and February are best between Christmas and spring break.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
WOW - This sounds like one heck of a trip. you should start a blog so we can follow along!

Cheers
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroedlow View Post
We're going in October and staying through January. This will be our first extended winter in the Airstream. We're starting out in Gulf Shores, AL and working our way east. I don't like to stay in one spot more than a week, so we're planning on moving about every 7 days trying out different state parks and private campgrounds. I use RV Park Reviews a lot for recommendations. We'll probably hit Disney for a few days. If you look at their calendar, they price Ft Wilderness according to the demand. We're looking for the cheapest days possible knowing that's when there will be the fewest people in the theme park. Naples is one of our stops. My kids have rented a house on Marco Island for a week after Christmas so we'll be close to them for a few days. The state parks on Key West are almost impossible to get into. If someone knows a trick on how to book a site at Bahia Honda State Park, please let me know. I go into Reserve America 11 months to the second their calendar is open, and everything is booked already. After Florida we're drifting over to LA and doing the Mardi Gras caravan with the Airstream folks. A few weeks after that, we're doing the LA Bayou caravan. After finishing up in LA, we're heading to Texas and places west. Time frame? Haven't figured it out yet. 6 months? Year?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have a place in Marathon in the keys. Over the years we have been to every nook and cranny in that fine state and a lot of it camping or sailing. As someone suggested, fly into Orlando or like we prefer, Miami and rent a car. On the east coast campsites can cost as much as a motel room. West coast is not as bad. You will never see it all in two weeks so prioritize what you want to see. The Keys always have a breeze so anytime is good except when it really blows. Oh yah, carry a walking stick so you can move the critters off the trail.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

We tried to get into Bahia Honda on the keys for the longest time too. I was just perusing the site one day and found 4 days open in mid/late May this past spring. We found it to be too hot and sticky for us at that time of year and were disappointed in Key West - lot of tourists and cruise ships. Maybe we didn't search enough for the remote areas and there are quainter areas - I don't know.

I love the Ft Wilderness campground at Disney. Expensive, but worth it. Because you're staying on property, you can take advantage of the extra early and late hours in the parks for Disney guests only. We bring our bikes and bike to the campground boat launch for the boat to the Magic Kingdom or hop on the Monorail to get to the transportation center to hop a bus for the non- monorail parks. Much more enjoyable than using the bus system in Ft Wilderness. Their bathrooms are immaculate and air conditioned

Last time we were there we dud the Segway event at the campground. It was expensive ( there seems to be a theme here) but fun and worth it for us as we had never ridden Segways before.

My favorite months in Orlando are October, late April and early to mid May

Hope that helps!
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
As someone who has lived here for 3 years, I would highly advise you to avoid this state at all costs, and pretend it doesn't exist at all. Nothing to see here.

Snowbirds start arriving from Thanksgiving and stay til Easter but I feel from December till February are best. The weather is nice an cool over here on the gulf coast. We pretty much leave our heat & AC off and have the house fully open most of the winter. It's the only thing I do like about Florida.

What I don't like is the urban sprawl. I also didn't enjoy Disney. Let me just put it to you this way, everything is over priced and with an annual attendance of over 47 million, an average of 130,000 people visit the four Walt Disney World theme parks each day. Over one-third of those visitors will be in the Magic Kingdom.

So just picture yourself walking around with 130,000 people. Pass.

Ok, maybe I'm a bit pessimistic about this state. I can't wait to leave personally.

As soon as you escape the urban areas, there are nicer smaller areas of Florida. The Key's are beautiful. Lots of smaller beach towns and beaches.

Personally I think the gulf coast side is prettier.

Actually I think you'll enjoy visiting. We visited Florida and family about 3 times, and everytime we had a restful peaceful time. We thought we could live here. But living here has been different from visiting.

I need mountains and country. And I have to drive over an hour just to see some trees.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Went there every summer as a child. Been back several times since then. It keeps getting progressively worse.
STAY AWAY!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am from FL and probably would not go there that much if it were not for my folks living there. I prefer the northern part of the state best. It is not as zoo like as central FL and further south. There are some nice state parks. If you hit the parks during the week things are much more calm. All camp grounds and theme parks are going to be a zoo on the weekends. St Joe State park in the panhandle is a must see and we also like Manatee Springs near the gulf further south is nice. There are some county parks that are hidden gems. We went to Ft Desoto in St Pete and were not real impressed.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #17
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
You never said how long you will have for the trip... If you have the time, bring the 'Stream. Start in the panhandle, beaches there are the prettiest sand in the state. St Georges Island or St Joe's State Park are nice. Come over into North Central Florida and check out the springs along the Suwannee and Santa Fe rivers. Ichetucknee Springs is a fun river to float down on an inner tube if its warm, or canoe if it's cold out... Go on over to St Augustine from there. The old fort is pretty cool, and Anastasia State Park is another nice stay at the beach. Or, if you'd prefer to camp right on the beach, Beverly Beach RV Camptown at Flagler Beach, just south of St Augustine, is my favorite. You back right up to the beach, and it's not a touristy area... You'll have a little drive back up to St Augustine to see the fort, and it's a little pricey, but it's RIGHT ON THE BEACH! If you see a guy sitting by a '74 Sov, drinking a Corona, that's probably me. Stop in and say "Hey!" From there, ease down to Daytona Beach, just because, while you're down here, you might as well be able to say you went to Daytona Beach. After a half hour on the beach, take out for Ft Wilderness. As others have mentioned, it's pricey, but a really nice campground, with plenty to do without even going in the parks... but I just have to go in the Magic Kingdom while I'm there. Plan on two days in the park so you don't have to kill yourself trying to see everything in one day. After that, mosey on down to the Keys. Plan on staying a week and relax and enjoy. I'd make my way back up the west coast after that. Some beautiful sunsets to be had out over the gulf...

As for time of year, October through February, unless you just enjoy muggy and hot... Snow birds really aren't as bad as all that, we just like to complain about them. I pull The LoveStream at 55, so the snowbirds have something to complain about. Most private campgrounds raise their prices during the winter months though. State Parks down here have never disappointed me, and they are relatively inexpensive, if you can get in...

Hurricanes give us so much warning that you should have no issue at all with it, except that it might cut a vacation short, or change your route a bit...

When you get into Central FLorida (I-4 corridor from Daytona to Tampa/St Pete), it's going to get crowded. Pay attention to what time of day you're getting on the highway, and avoid rush hour traffic.

On your way back home, stop in and pick up a couple of these grumpy Gus' (Gusses...Gus's?) that don't like it down here, and deposit them back over the state line.

Or, you could fly into the Keys, and be like every other tourist ever... your call.

-Red, thinking of getting a job on the tourism council...
Old 08-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have both been here all of our lives. We have lived in Miami, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and the Central Time Panhandle. We have both traveled the state extensively during our working years. This is our assessment of a visit to Florida.

By all means, come in your Airstream. Nice private campgrounds abound in all parts of the state. The Florida State Parks are some of the finest in the country. In recent years many of our state parks have added sites with three point hook-ups. Our roads are very good. Don't be afraid to use Florida State Roads. They are very well maintained.

The thing to keep in mind about a Florida visit is that are are two Floridas. There is a winter season Florida and there is a summer season Florida. The winter season Florida is generally everything from Orlando and south. During the winter, this area is generally slammed with snow birds and tourists. The summer season Florida is the northern part of the peninsular and the Panhandle. The campgrounds and beached here are generally more crowded in the summer months. Orlando is like New York City; it is always crowded.

In our opinion the very best time to visit Florida is in October. Most hurricane activity is over, although, historically, there have been some severe hurricanes in October. The weather has cooled off somewhat, but the ocean and gulf water temperatures are still warm from the summer. In the morning, there is a slight coolness in the air and the humidity is south of 80%. The summer season crowds have gone, and the snow birds have not yet made their migration.

The best way to see Florida is in an Airstream. Trying to see Florida by flying into Orlando and renting a car is a pretty tall order unless you just want to see the Orlando area. Florida is a very large state. From Orlando, it is 400 miles to Key West, and it is 450 miles to Pensacola. By car it is further from Pensacola to Key West than it is across Texas on I-10.

There are so many things to see and do in Florida that it would take it would take at least several weeks to cover the state.

By all means, do visit Florida and try to see the whole state, no just Orlando as many folks do. I know that I am starting to sound like paid advertising. So, I will stop here and leave you with a couple of pictures of the beach in the Florida Panhandle near Destin.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-02_19-11-40_HDR.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	220182   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-27_17-52-40_HDR - Copy.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	220183  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Consider time at Fort Clinch State Park, the northeastern-most tip of the state. Beach and river campsites, beach, fishing pier, Fort, and super clean facilities. Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I pray reincarnation is not true...I never want to have to go back to Disney World again.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote