Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Planning a trip to Az in the fall

Hi there,

We are beginning to plan a trip with my 80 year young mom to join us. Boondocking is out of the question with her. So.. i was thinking about this place Grand Canyon Railway RV Park - Williams, Flagstaff, Northern Arizona RV Parks

Has anyone been there? Is it feasable to ride the train one day as well?
Thinking about a few day trips without the trailer to show her the sights.
We want to stay someplace nice this time with all the amenities.

Thanks for your feedback

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Vin...we have made the Grand Canyon Railway trip from Williams...we did it the day before the Four Corners Unit Labor Day Rally held in Williams this past year. We did not stay at the Grand Canyon Railway Park RV park, but we saw it... It is right at the railroad station within walking distance, as is the hotel and a couple of restaurants. It is also close to downtown which is full of interesting places to dine and visit. The RV park is basically a paved parking lot, but it is well done and clean, and has full hookups...and is certainly close enough to everything. There's even a pet hotel.

We stayed at The Canyon Motel RV Park for the rally. The Canyon Motel and RV Park - Route 66 - Williams, Arizona It's interesting because it has a number of railroad cars that have been converted to motel rooms, and there are some vintage bungalows for rent, too. The RV portion of the park has full hookups but is pretty basic in terms of ambiance. It's only a few minutes from town at the east end (which is not a big place, so you are close to everything no matter where you stay). You can see some pictures of the RV park we stayed in at our travel log for that trip. (Link to the travel log is below.)

The trip to the Grand Canyon on the trail is an all-day affair if you make the trip up and back the same day...2 hours up, 4 hours at the Canyon itself, which is plenty of time if you are limited in how far you can walk/shuttle... and 2 hours back on the train. Frankly, we were exhausted by the time we got back to Williams. We have done it now and I doubt we will do it again. Next time we will probaly try to actually camp at the Grand Canyon or go to the North Rim...but then we have both been there several times, so it's not a ne thing for us. If you haven't seen the GS in person you definitely should.

If you want to do the train, we'd suggest an upgraded package for comfort's sake. You ocan view the different packages available on line. If you want a more in-depth visit to the Canyon you might want to consider a train package where you go up one day and come back the next with a night over with a meal at one of the big hotels at the GC. You can also easily drive from Williams to the GC if you'd rather do that.

So where else are you going to go in AZ?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thumbs up

Thankyou.

Great information. This trip is all about my mom so i doubt we will be doing too much walking. Im in the planning stages right now so i just know that the destination if the Grand Canyon and what happens in between is a mystery. Would be great to meet up a fellow airstreamer along the way. Since its fall it might be a bit cooler than what you experience in august. Just starting to think about it now and maybe make a reservation.

Thanks again.

Vin

Old 01-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Another place you might want to visit is Meteor Crater. It's about 30 miles East of Flagstaff on I-40 and has a very nice RV park. From there you can visit the crater or drive down the road to (standing on a corner in) Winslow, Arizona. In Winslow you can visit the La Posada Hotel which was originally a Fred Harvey Hotel. The Painted Desert and Petrifired Forest are other day trips as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
GD

2007 27' Classic FB
1960 17' Pacer
Bozeman , Montana
If you go towards Petrified Forest, it is worth the trip to Show Low to stay at Fool Hollow lake. We happened upon the lake last summer on our trip home. Great concrete interior roads with spacious spots. Keep me posted and if the timing is right, we will try to make it to the lake. I have a boat so if you are interested in fishing, that might be possible.
gduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Sounds nice. How far is this lake from the Grand Canyon area?

Vin

Old 01-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Such a nice son! We loved Arizona, the Grand Canyon, Momument valley, however that is a ways up north. Lots to see and do! Enjoy and I would not worry about reservations now, travel people are staying more still. Even rallies seem to have less rigs. WE are going to our lst rally in Feb and this year 40 rigs last year 100. maybe there will be last minute folks for the HObo rally in blythe.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We ditto gduff's rec for Fool Hollow Lake State Park...it's minutes from Show Low, AZ in the White Mountains...on 260 east of Payson just about 1 mile from the junction to Show Low...or south from I-40 at Holbrook...one of our favorite places....beautiful in the fall and full hookups! Arizona State Parks: Fool Hollow Lake: Home
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We ditto gduff's rec for Fool Hollow Lake State Park...it's minutes from Show Low, AZ in the White Mountains...on 260 east of Payson just about 1 mile from the junction to Show Low...or south from I-40 at Holbrook...one of our favorite places....beautiful in the fall and full hookups! Arizona State Parks: Fool Hollow Lake: Home
Thankyou for the link. It does seem quite beautiful. This could be a nice stop over for a couple of days. I hope i can secure two weeks off work so we can take more time to enjoy the sights.

Thanks Vin

Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Vin;
If you are going to be in the Williams, Flagstaff area in August around Labor Day, watch the Forum for the Four Corners Unit Labor Day Rally. We were in Williams last year for Labor Day and it was a blast. Was fairly cool with rain and unfortunately some wind but there were several trailers there. It won't bee too long before it is posted on the Forum.
Hope you have a good trip.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thank you Bob.

I will watch for it to be posted. I would be fun to tie the trip into a rally. We are not members of WBCCI and im not sure what the rules are regarding a quick overnight stay but it would great fun to see that many airstreams assembled in one place.

Thanks for the invite.

Vin

Old 01-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Hi Vin,

Lots of places to see in AZ. You might consider making a reservation at the RV park at the South Rim. It is an easy drive from Williams/Flagstaff. You won't have the time pressure of catching the train. Leave the TV with the A/S and ride the shuttles in the park. It would also allow you do do a "loop" (in from the South and out the East entrance) and see some of the indian ruins East of the Grand Canyon.

Michael
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Vin;
You do not have to be a member of WBCCI to join our rally. Last year at the Williams Rally we gained a few new members to the Four Corners Unit. We have several members that are residents in California, Colorado, New Mexico, Florida, just to name a few. We rally to have a good time and lots of friendship. Would be glad to have you.

Bob
4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
Hi Vin,

Lots of places to see in AZ. You might consider making a reservation at the RV park at the South Rim. It is an easy drive from Williams/Flagstaff. You won't have the time pressure of catching the train. Leave the TV with the A/S and ride the shuttles in the park. It would also allow you do do a "loop" (in from the South and out the East entrance) and see some of the indian ruins East of the Grand Canyon.

Michael
Thanks Michael,
I think its time for me to get a map and start piecing in all these details to see what it looks like. When you refer to the RV park at the south rim are you talking about the Grand Canyon Railway park?

Thanks Vinnie

Old 01-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Hi Vinnie,

There is a large camp ground and an RV park w/hookups at the South Rim (in the park) . Go to www.nps.gov and click on the Grand Canyon. The website will have all of the information about the sites and reservations.

Michael
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thankyou Michael,

I will check that out. The South Rim seems to be the popular choice. Its been years since i have seen it and the rest of my family will be blown away as this will be their first trip to the Grand Canyon. Thinking of October but the discussions lately might be leaning more towards May.

Vin