Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2021, 07:57 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
That is another reason to stay out of CA.... the recommendation and necessity of installing bullet resistant materials!
Recommendations and necessities are two different things.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
That is another reason to stay out of CA.... the recommendation and necessity of installing bullet resistant materials!
how heavy would the bullet proof material be for covering Airstream?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Maybe a tent on the sidewalk...many do
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Places to long term park in Los Angeles

Let the record show that we live well south of Los Angeles and Anaheim area and stay out of LA as much as possible...the hassles and crime make it too risky to visit.

There’s not much going on in LA that’s worth a visit right now.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Let the record show that we live well south of Los Angeles and Anaheim area and stay out of LA as much as possible...the hassles and crime make it too risky to visit.

There’s not much going on in LA that’s worth a visit right now.
There's a nice campground in Valencia called Valencia Travel Village north of Los Angeles, well away from crime ridden city of Los Angeles.

https://valenciatravelvillagellc.com/

click on the website. It may be possible that the campground open in defiance against the governor.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 01-06-2021, 06:47 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
The FBI list the possibility of being a victim of crime in LA at 1 in 33. Exactly the same for East Lansing MI. Just another reason to stay out of that city.
Funny but I can think of more reasons to go to LA if I had to choose.
Interesting statistic..... but even more interesting is the fact that it is extremely rare for our local news channels to report a shooting in East Lansing ...or for that matter, any of the surrounding cities, including Michigan's Capital city of Lansing! I understand shootings in LA and its surrounding cities is a daily and nightly occurence!

East Lansing's amenities are just as fine as LA's.... and even more so without all the lead flying around!!!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
There's a nice campground in Valencia called Valencia Travel Village north of Los Angeles, well away from crime ridden city of Los Angeles.

https://valenciatravelvillagellc.com/
Thanks for that campground idea.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
From what I understand during my search for camping reservations, several counties accept camping reservations for minimum one week or two weeks of camping. it may work for you if you stay there for a long term

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 01-06-2021, 08:40 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f38...es-212756.html
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
Great thread including the street views!

[Click on the orange arrows in the quotes to see the posts in that thread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
The City Of Angels is pretty much a chaotic free-for-all street camping area these days. There are a wide variety of rigs on the streets from very-scary-disgusting to horrible not-so-bad. Downtown people actually pitch tents on sidewalks and build crazy structures. There are huge piles of trash in some places closer to downtown. It's like a sci-fi movie about the future gone bad.

Anyway if you look at a map of the City of Los Angeles there is an area called the LA Strip that is several blocks wide that runs for miles from downtown to the LA Harbor. So its far enough from the Heart-Of-Darkness downtown to be a possible overnight stay while passing through. This would be the area where the strip intersects the 405 freeway. People put up cones and run generators and just camp out.

Look at a satellite shot of West Del Amo Blvd. between Hamilton Ave and Vermont and you will see all the rigs. This area has a Torrance address and is really Los Angeles. Only works for the fearless adventuresome Walmart-on-steroids-emergency-cheeper-than-dirt camping crowd.

But it is boondocking.
Happy trails,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF street view 7 JAN 2020.png
Views:	30
Size:	1,002.6 KB
ID:	386439  
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnsilver View Post
Looking to find a clean, safe campground in LA area for long term parking. We will be moving out there in March. Appreciate recommendations!!!
Are you still following your thread OP?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:19 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks for the photos of Street RVing. That’s what San Francisco Bay Area City’s look like with un limited Street RVing. Just remember what they say “So Goes California, So Goes the Nation”. So I guess in a few more months you can Street RV any where. There are a few nations that we stay away from and now we are adding States to that list. Top of the list California
Old 01-14-2021, 10:25 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqez435 View Post
I have lived in SoCal all my life ( since 1952). Grew up not far from LAX and there used to be a large area by Hollywood Park race track where some would live in RVs on the “low down”. Now it’s gone as they built SoFi Stadium. I have known that there are some storage yards that would allow people to live in an RV on the property in exchange for being a sort of on site security. I’d suggest contacting as many storage lots as possible to see if they might go along with this idea. Another idea is to contact construction companies as many have on site security living on property while construction is underway. I have personally known several people that have parked their bumper pull trailer on site and were paid to live on site as night security. Though I lived in LA County most of my life I dislike driving into the “South Bay” area or downtown. It is actually scary to see the homeless all over as well as all the trash. Traffic is even more scary and when I must tow my trailer through LA I am forced to travel at o’dark:30 to avoid normal traffic. BTW Jim Rockford’s trailer parked on the beach near Malibu was only a prop for TV. Though there are a few RV parks scattered around LA they are VERY expensive and extremely difficult to get a reservation. The only county RV Park I know in LA is at Dockweiler Beach. It is expensive, difficult to reserve, under flight path of jets leaving LAX (noise) and as stated in prior posts currently closed due to Covid. One might have better luck looking at the Long Beach or San Pedro area or as stated before Canyon Country, Antelope Valley, Lake Los Angeles or Saugus areas.
Thanks, in a nutshell .. LA is like 3rd world hell with multi-million homes for the uber wealthy ..
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:37 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Places to long term park in Los Angeles

It’s also “like living in a bowl of granola. What ain’t fruits or nuts, is flakes”—George Carlin.

Yup. We live far south and well inland of LA. And minimize visits.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote