Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #21
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
CA is still a great state

OP was looking for RV parking but thread drifted to bashing CA.
To the OP as others have said you need to provide more details about your intended stay and then you canget some useful advice.

For all those bashing CA yes we do have challenges and some negatives. Despite that many of us are very happy here in CA. I am not a native CA and have lived in other states so it is not that I just don't know anything else.

Just trying to add some balance. Every state has pros and cons. I have friends in NYC and Boston and Chicago who think these are the best places to live in the world. There are always tradeoffs.
kenfconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfconnor View Post
OP was looking for RV parking but thread drifted to bashing CA.
To the OP as others have said you need to provide more details about your intended stay and then you canget some useful advice.

For all those bashing CA yes we do have challenges and some negatives. Despite that many of us are very happy here in CA. I am not a native CA and have lived in other states so it is not that I just don't know anything else.

Just trying to add some balance. Every state has pros and cons. I have friends in NYC and Boston and Chicago who think these are the best places to live in the world. There are always tradeoffs.
NYC , Boston, Chicago? No way! Everybody knows New Castle Oklahoma is the cultural capital of the USA. I’m pretty shore they even have a Dairy Queen.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:46 PM   #23
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
I need to add New Castle, OK to my bucket list!
Old 01-04-2021, 12:08 AM   #24
ASTRID's Owner

1999 25' Safari
Running Springs , CA
Try Hollywood RV Park

We spent a few nights there during the summer. Pleasant, slightly kitschy place, but the have long-term rentals there. It never freezes, as far as I can tell. There is a certain amount of city noise, but Trader Joes is not far, and you can walk to the nearest drug store and grocery.
gjsittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsittler View Post
We spent a few nights there during the summer. Pleasant, slightly kitschy place, but the have long-term rentals there. It never freezes, as far as I can tell. There is a certain amount of city noise, but Trader Joes is not far, and you can walk to the nearest drug store and grocery.

New Castle, OK?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:46 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
New Castle, OK?
I think they meant the Hollywood RV park.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
I think they meant the Hollywood RV park.

Lol. I was getting excited about OK, I’ll have to keep driving around that state until I run out of things to see elsewhere (for the time being)

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:54 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
My bad. Apparently New Castle does not have its own DQ. You will have to drive 14 miles to Norman OK for that.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:00 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
As the crow flies, Newcastle is 11 miles south of I-40 in the middle of Oklahoma City, so, I've been within 11 miles of it... and there's more than a DQ in OKC....
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
As the crow flies, Newcastle is 11 miles south of I-40 in the middle of Oklahoma City, so, I've been within 11 miles of it... and there's more than a DQ in OKC....
Yep...and there is more than cesspools in LA.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
True... I spent a few weeks up in Hueneme, got to visit Malibu and Rodeo Drive, see Hollywood and Beverly Hills. There's a wide variety there, that's for sure....
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Boy, these things do drift down to dirt! I thought my post was the best recommendation so far, https://www.airstreamlosangeles.com was very convienient and helpful, feedback?
nduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:49 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by nduncan View Post
Boy, these things do drift down to dirt! I thought my post was the best recommendation so far, https://www.airstreamlosangeles.com was very convienient and helpful, feedback?
You told him where to store his trailer. He wants a place to camp in his trailer. Apples and oranges.

Real problem is that he has not come back to answer the question that could help him. Where is his workplace. L.A. is so big that without knowing where he needs to be. This is all just bandwidth usage.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Redlands , California
I have lived in SoCal all my life ( since 1952). Grew up not far from LAX and there used to be a large area by Hollywood Park race track where some would live in RVs on the “low down”. Now it’s gone as they built SoFi Stadium. I have known that there are some storage yards that would allow people to live in an RV on the property in exchange for being a sort of on site security. I’d suggest contacting as many storage lots as possible to see if they might go along with this idea. Another idea is to contact construction companies as many have on site security living on property while construction is underway. I have personally known several people that have parked their bumper pull trailer on site and were paid to live on site as night security. Though I lived in LA County most of my life I dislike driving into the “South Bay” area or downtown. It is actually scary to see the homeless all over as well as all the trash. Traffic is even more scary and when I must tow my trailer through LA I am forced to travel at o’dark:30 to avoid normal traffic. BTW Jim Rockford’s trailer parked on the beach near Malibu was only a prop for TV. Though there are a few RV parks scattered around LA they are VERY expensive and extremely difficult to get a reservation. The only county RV Park I know in LA is at Dockweiler Beach. It is expensive, difficult to reserve, under flight path of jets leaving LAX (noise) and as stated in prior posts currently closed due to Covid. One might have better luck looking at the Long Beach or San Pedro area or as stated before Canyon Country, Antelope Valley, Lake Los Angeles or Saugus areas.
sqez435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnsilver View Post
Looking to find a clean, safe campground in LA area for long term parking. We will be moving out there in March. Appreciate recommendations!!!
Are you [the OP] still following this thread?

Do you want to live in the trailer in the LA area, or just store it?

Happy New Year,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:43 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
We just visited family in CA.

On the drive out of CA (and into Nevada) we saw a LOT of U-hauls. All going east...

Such a beautiful state, but I sure wouldn't want to live there.

Are our Airstreams bullet-proof...?
PatrickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Places to long term park in Los Angeles

“Are our Airstreams bullet-proof...?”

Not without installing the Kevlar blanket insulation option and upgrading to projectile resistant glass assemblies...available at your friendly local armored vehicle dealer.

(No, I’m NOT joking. There are businesses in California that specialize in up-armoring vehicles.)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Another reason to stay out of CA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
“Are our Airstreams bullet-proof...?”

Not without installing the Kevlar blanket insulation option and upgrading to projectile resistant glass assemblies...available at your friendly local armored vehicle dealer.

(No, I’m NOT joking. There are businesses in California that specialize in up-armoring vehicles.)
That is another reason to stay out of CA.... the recommendation and necessity of installing bullet resistant materials!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:47 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWanderer View Post
That is another reason to stay out of CA.... the recommendation and necessity of installing bullet resistant materials!
You should probably stay out of Texas and Utah too. Just to mention a few other place that offer bulletproof service’s for personal vehicles.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
The FBI list the possibility of being a victim of crime in LA at 1 in 33. Exactly the same for East Lansing MI. Just another reason to stay out of that city.
Funny but I can think of more reasons to go to LA if I had to choose.