Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Pitfalls within over-confidence.

Hi Forums members;

After two year period of restoration process, our Argosy survived the Maiden Voyage but not without small annoying incidents due to over-confidence in quality of products used in restoration.
As all of you know, I have been very selective what I used in my restoration project. The new SS frame with the new 5000 Dexter axles and 3500 lbs suspension handled beyond my dreams. After the trip nothing was found out of place including some things left on the kitchen counter. Shocks must have played their role well.

After safely parking the trailer at the camp site I have conducted a close inspection of the interior before my wife had a chance to organize the interior. I was amazed over the fact that nothing was out of place. Setting up took only 15 minutes with my wife's help. Having brought full blue tank, my wife decided to put on a pot of coffee and that is when over-confidence showed it's ugly side. After turning on Max sensor pump I have noticed that it continued to run although the faucets were closed. Investigating further I have noticed a water flowing from underneath the sink cabinet where the water manifold is located. My new cork floor was now flooded with few gallons of water. It turned out that 1/2" hot water delivery Pex line had a defective 90 degree elbow. Assuming that the tubing was not inserted properly into the elbow I have removed and reinserted the tubing not noticing anything unusual about the tubing or the connector. Switching the pump on, I have added another half a gallon to the top of the floor. This is where I decided that we will have to use public facility for our needs. I was truly embarrassed when water begun to leak from the belly wrap. All of this could have been avoided have I tested the system prior to our maiden voyage.

All of my secondary 3/8'' Pex lines were crimped but the main 1/2" lines were "push in" type. My friend the plumber told me that he has never had a leaking connection with those fittings. This is called OVER-CONFIDENCE and blind trust in so called quality products. You can bet I will remove all 1/2" push in connectors and replace them with crimped connections. I have embarrassed myself before my wife and others and that hurt me the most. Thank goodness I have tested all of my SS Lpg lines prior to the trip. I guess my threading job was done well since there was not a single leak. Despite this incident we had a great time. Our cork floor handled the flood well by not showing any signs of water absorption. Ours, was the only AS at the camp site and many folks complimented us on what they thought was brand new trailer.

Here are some facts related to the first trip.
Dry weight of our 26" Argosy after restoration turned out to be 4680 lbs. My 2500 HD 6.0 liter gasser handled it effortlessly. My trucks Michelins were at 50 Psi and my E range Maxxis were inflated to 60 Psi. Reese friction type sway control with Reese hitch and along with 600 lbs WD bars, made it for a very soft ride. With high winds on the return trip and passing trucks, trailer was unaffected least bit by either one. All tires were barely warm after 160 mile run at average of 65 MPH. Transmission at times, due to heat build up in the mountains was nearing 190 degree. This week I will install a 7.5" dia. 440CFM SPAL brand fan which should eliminate this problem. All in all, it was a pleasant trip and now it is time to rag on my friend the plumber. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
ok, next time you'll do a test first . it looks like you had less issues than one off the line! ok, now it has been blessed
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Life's little hiccups

I think you are being a little too hard on yourself. We've read with great interest and delight your restoration threads, especially the painting thread.

If you think about this another way, you have proven you can walk on water.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Boatdoc, if that's the only issue you had during your shakedown cruise, you are to be congratulated! Not only are you to be congratulated, but correctly diagnosing the problem, finding the offending fitting and figuring out how to correct it immediately is pretty impressive too. The frame didn't break. The axles didn't fall off. The floor didn't fall through. The cabinets didn't rain down. Nothing caught fire. A little water on the floor is no big deal. You done good.

Relax and enjoy the trailer. I think your expectations may have been just a little too high for your first trip.

Good job!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Hey Boatdoc,
Don't sweat it - I had the same problem with my push on Pex fittings. The fittings are el crappola! I must admit I have tested my system before putting everything back together. I also had the water draining out of the belly pan.
I found a used Pex crimp wrench on ebay and changed the fittings. I took back the bad fittings to the store. (I saved all the receipts and little bags they came in because I did not trust the fittings from the time I left the store).
Anyway - changed to crimped fittings and we are now dry!
Glad you had a good time otherwise on your first outing.
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Boatdoc,
I would agree with others. Don't sweat the small stuff. For all the magnificent restoration work you did on that trailer, two small water leaks ain't bad.
Since I live realtively near by, what was the destination of the maiden voyage???
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Boat Doc
Hummmmm like me Blind faith got ya. Our PO is a fine fella but he kept some issues our trailer had to him self I think. Like I'm sure he knew that the shower was disconnected,but he passed it off as "I'm 6'5 U see me in that shower.When I filled the fresh tank and turned on the pump it kept running and running like U and when I opened the rear hatch OMG FOUNTIAN OF YOUTH spraying everywhere back there. (rearbath)
It was our maiden voyage also.A quick patch and we were on our way.that issue is still to be addressed.
Boat Doc after all U have been thru I think ya did GOOD.
Enjoy Thanks For Sharing
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
...I have embarrassed myself before my wife and others and that hurt me the most....

Dear Boatdoc,

Everyone thinks perfectionism is a good thing. I maintain it isn't. It wears you out, it prevents you from moving on, and most importantly it can easily suck the joy out of everyone who has to live with you, because it's so soul destroying to them to always feel like a failure.

I learned how to make a bed with military corners in flat sheets before I was 5... of course it took weeks of re-making the bed over and over plus hours of being criticized mercilessly. After I mastered the skill, my parents never connected the dots and figured out why I stopped wanting to be tucked in at night, but kissed them goodnight in the living room. Not being the village idiot (and even at five, suspecting that my parent's expectations might be a tad unreasonable), I learned to sleep on the floor blocking the bedroom door from the inside. So much simpler than being "a disappointment". I traded up for six days of peace, and only one day of misery when the sheets had to be changed.

The biggest gift you can give to your family and friends is to forgive yourself and just laugh at the situation. After all If I had a husband I'd love to see him on his knees cleaning floors!

You didn't embarass yourself before your wife... you made yourself vulnerable, approachable and loveable and HUMAN. Whatever attracted her, the human and not-too-perfect-to-live-with side will KEEP her interested. You take it from there.

In 100 years, no one will know or care if you had a water leak. You DID get the propane right. Failure to do that could have had effects lasting 100 years. (Fire, death, brain damage will affect a family for generations. You set GOOD priorities.

Paula
Old 07-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
I have embarrassed myself before my wife and others and that hurt me the most.
Whoa there Boatdoc.

A bad fitting is an embarrassment to you and your family? Dude, no offense but you need to hang out with me for a camping weekend. Then you can learn how to really embarrass yourself in an unforgetable high quality fashion from a proffessional.

having grown up in a household similar to Foiled Again I completely agree with what she said. Life's short and you ain't gonna survive it so be happy everything else worked and focus on causing happiness among those that love you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike T View Post
I think you are being a little too hard on yourself. We've read with great interest and delight your restoration threads, especially the painting thread.

If you think about this another way, you have proven you can walk on water.
Hi IkeT, 85MH325, crispyboy, and Foiled Again;
While I did not intended to sound "destroyed" in my last post, I an not the perfectionist by desire. Having two engineering degrees and being the former Naval Aviator I am not used to have second chances. During my "flying days" second chance was nnever considered as an option. Because of it, is exactly why I am still around. Perhaps much of this "fly boy" theory has has infected my private life. It is not about being too hard on myself, but it is about relaying [without checking] on the word of others, in the gray areas of my non-expertise. I am not a plumber, so I took my friend's word who is a plumber, that "slip in" Pex fittings never leak. Wellllll, mine did. Perhaps they were made in China? When I told him about it he said that I may have inserted them wrong, and an hour later he was working in my trailer to prove my mistakes. Wellllll, he could not. They were defective and we wound up replacing them with crimp on fittings. We still could not stop the Max sensor pump from turning on periodically. It turned out there was a third leak in a cracked water valve in the toilet which I have not noticed during the installation. Replacement valve coming in today.

Let me assure you Paula that I am not difficult person to be around. Outside of the business hours I can be very cheerful and respectful to my family which consists of my wife only. I am very considerate of others as well. My friends think that my wife is much too much pampered by me. Perhaps it is so, but she pampers me right back and I enjoy my happines. She works with me at our business, but I do not let the work interfere with my home life. But you were absolutely correct that it made my first trip on uncomfortable side. Even my wife [Kay] noticed it. But than again she is not used to see me fail often in things which I create, with my mind and hands. Creating is my life, and failures are not an option, still. Perhaps this is why even in the present downturn in economy my boat shop is extremely busy, while my competition is starving. While you are correct that perfectionism can be bad, it does have much longer list of positives than negatives.

On the other hand Paula I want you to feel what I have felt at the camp site. Pretend you were me, with this nice restored AS which everyone admired when walking by and seeing water pour out of many spots from the belly pan? Did some wondered if it was ruptured black tank? What would you think and feel being me? Being the [second chance not an option guy] how else could and would you feel? I do not want anyone to think that I am ready to commit suicide because of the water leaks, but I do have a reason and the right to be upset. My next trip however should be much more pleasant. Thanks all, "Boatdoc"
Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
Boatdoc,
I would agree with others. Don't sweat the small stuff. For all the magnificent restoration work you did on that trailer, two small water leaks ain't bad.
Since I live realtively near by, what was the destination of the maiden voyage???
Hi Carl and Elaine; We wanted to limit travel for the maiden voyage to a minimum in order to test the undercarriage. We decided to try Promised Land State Park at the Lower Lake Camp site since the Pickerel Point is closed for improvements till 2010. Pickerel Point is one of the most beautiful sites in Promised Land Park. The point has its own swimming beach which is one of the cleanest parts of the Upper Lake. With Senior discount, site was $20.00 per night. The only bad part were screaming kids till late at night. No one was around to enforce the quiet rule at 9 Pm. Parents were not considerate of other either. We should have reserved a spot at the end of the loop rather than near the center where bathroom facilities where located because that is where the screaming kids have congregated. If I may comment, the campground are very clean and nice. Thanks, "Boatdoc"