Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #61
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
It's been a month since we talked about pie. Found one to add to the list.

The Yoder Bakery, about 12 miles SE of Hutchinson off HW96, has good simple Amish pies. http://www.yoderkansas.com/

HW96 used to be a two lane secondary road and the Yoder road was a fast way to get into Hutch. Now HW96 is a very nice four lane route to/from North Wichita.

Traveling Man stopped at the bakery on his way headed East. He picked up some bread, I believe. The pie pickup will be on our todo list the next time we pass through this area.

We roll on into Wichita to stay if we are this close, so absolutely no experience with RV Parks in the area. Here are some you could check out.

Hitchin Post RV Park - 3415 Switzer Road, Yoder, Kansas - simple/low cost

http://lighthouselandingrvpark.com/ - a bit closer to Hutch

http://ksoutdoors.com/State-Parks/Locations/Sand-Hills - Northeast of Hutchinson - a taste of Kansas State Parks
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Had some awesome black berry cobbler ALM in Bransom few days agg downtown at Mr. B's. Yesterday after watching a thin guy complete the 72oz steak with all the fixin's offer at the big texan in Amarillo... I opted to pass on some awesome cake offerings. Next time.

Turned the corner in Nashville and now heading (directly into the very strong winds) home to EUG via I40 to I5. Currently in Santa Fe and blowing like @#$%.

Bob

P.s. Didn't stop at the Cherokee outpost pie offerings in Ok as they were also offering everything one could think of...and the results likely not memorable.I

Hawkeye for pie.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Hey PKI.....“Found a waiter's wine cork screw. Takes up less space than the Rabbit”

Pat I was reading your recent post re the waiters cork screw. Certainly a must have MFD…(Multi-Function Device) since it opens so many types of wine, possibly without limit.

Reading your post reminded me of my recent consumption of bowl of Umpqua Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with some topping we received as a Christmas gift. The topping was from Linn’s of Cambria “Olallieberries in Cabernet”. Yumm. Looks like the MFD would appropriately come into play when opening this Cab too ; )

B
Old 07-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #64
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Yes - plan to add another to carry as an always be prepared pocket tool. First I'll experiment with the Swiss Army Knife that serves most purpose. Maybe some investigation will find a middle ground.

Enjoy that topping. It sounds wonderful. Pat
Old 07-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Located in Leadville Colorado, there may be some double ententre in their name.
Can't vouch for their pies, may have some interesting herbal pies.
but sure have a cool delivery vehicle.

Leadville situated at over 10,000' ele, is an interesting mining boom town with great history. And a very intact old main street, there are blocks of nice old Victorian houses.
Even at that ele. I really enjoyed biking around taking in the historic feel of the town.

Cheers Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	316939  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #66
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Located in Leadville Colorado, -- snip --
Leadville has such an interesting sound to the ear. Must have lots of period charm. And it's around the corner from Basalt which is supposed to be basecamp for some nice trout fishing. Area is on our someday list. Thanks for sharing. Pat
Old 07-14-2018, 11:34 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Located in Leadville Colorado, there may be some double ententre in their name.
Can't vouch for their pies, may have some interesting herbal pies.
but sure have a cool delivery vehicle.

Leadville situated at over 10,000' ele, is an interesting mining boom town with great history. And a very intact old main street, there are blocks of nice old Victorian houses.
Even at that ele. I really enjoyed biking around taking in the historic feel of the town.

Cheers Richard

double ententre...as the T-shirts from Breckenridge proclaim..."Dude, the whole town's high"
Old 07-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
https://rocksprings.cafe/

Rock Spring Cafe off of I-17 exit 243 north of Phoenix. Can’t go pass without stopping and eating pie. Take one for the road for later.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #69
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks for the recommendation. Good pie is great pie and needing a second piece is perfect. Pat
Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Out of this world ?

On a recent visit to Bishop, Ca to visit a friend, we walked into an out of this world viewing of the Vandenberg SpaceX launch over the Sierra. Spectacular.

While on the spectacular...locals speak very highly of Bishop's "Brown's Campground", general store. ( https://brownscampgrounds.com/ ) Local lore has it that the pies are excellent. I suspect, like the above post, homemade. Our host had homemade cobbler & ice cream, so Brown's will be on our next tour. For the record, looked like an nice cg/rv park.

Closer to home, if you're on I-5 in the Eugene area, specifically Creswell, try Creswell Bakery. ( https://www.creswellbakery.com/home ) Easy on/off. One owner is NY culinary trained. We've focused on breakfast and the bread, but I hear their pies and cinnamon rolls are awesome. I suspect, pretty much everything they offer is. This place has a real following, and not just the Eugene locals, rightfully so.

b
Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #71
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
CD - thanks for the update. Space launches are great. Only seen one - yes, out of Vandenberg, but headed West, not East.

Pie - On a recent trip we tried the pies made at Carriage Crossing in Yoder Kansas. A great finish to a good home cooked meal and there were a lot of choices.

Find that pie lady! Pat
Old 10-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
There are a lot of pie suppliers here in the SanFran Bay Area but many of them are not in towing-friendly areas: FatApple in Berkeley has apple and usually about 3 or 4 others. I usually have to take the slice home after lunch though. Chow in Danville CA also has several varieties but always a tasty apple: not as good as mine though. so I guess that a sim
ple variety like apple is a contender for determining the quality of the prep work. The Penzey's FB site is a good location to discuss prep work: I have not tried to bake a pie in my convection/micro. Has anyone tried that?
For a killer apple pie, make a dutch apple crumble top and add pecans. Add vanilla ice cream drizzled with the liqueur of your choice.... Amaretto? And a cuppa coffee spiked with the same stuff... yum
Old 10-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #73
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Oh! That sounds good. Something about apple and ice cream. It just tastes great.

Rubarb was a favorite on our recent outing. Mom used to make it, but I never developed a driving desire for the flavor. Several at the table had, though. Even loaded up on take away for later. Got to get it when you can. Interesting our background experiences drive the taste bud preferences.

Looking forward to the holidays. My mince meat allocation has been neglected and it's time to fix that consumption short fall.

Stay safe and enjoy a slice of your favorite with friends and family. Pat
Old 10-23-2018, 11:01 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Sounds tasty! Any more votes from the AS Pie Eaters?
When visiting Crater Lake National Park check out Beckie's Cafe on Hwy 62 in Union Creek, Oregon. Famous for huckleberry and other berry pies.

On the home front, for the best pumpkin pie, grow "Small Sugar" pumpkin from Territorial Seed. Each 7-8" pumpkin is perfect for making two 10" pies. We use the Libby's recipe.

Gotta make it to Pie Town sometime!! Thanks for the Pie tips. Or should that be pieces?

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #75
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
New candidate for pie of the week. Columbus Montana, Bearstone Cafe. Say hi to Corey. She heard the tale of the search for a perfect piece of pie. This one is Apple Alameda. Nice topping of ice cream with a dollop of whipped cream and that Carmel drip all over. Reported on good authority to be quite tasty. . Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190801_122924.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	348484  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #76
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
And there is a free city campground (donations accepted) right on the Yellowstone River in Columbus. Great overnight stop!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:22 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
New candidate for pie of the week. Columbus Montana, Bearstone Cafe. Say hi to Corey. She heard the tale of the search for a perfect piece of pie. This one is Apple Alameda. Nice topping of ice cream with a dollop of whipped cream and that Carmel drip all over. Reported on good authority to be quite tasty. . Pat
From an earlier post of yours...
First you post a link that suggests an AS theme, but comes up showing scrumptious looking hot cakes. Then you punch the AOTGs button to make the mouth water. That's worse than picking on the cold weather folks by showing sunshine and new mown hay pics. Guess we better roll out the rig soon and limber up the exploring genes.

Feeling like the cold weather folks as i just realized we'll going by this place on our ME trip...just not soon enough.

Guess i'll have to placate the appetite with a magnum ice cream...or two😀

Looks like a winner!
Thx for the post!
B
Old 08-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #78
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Like this? Third row from the top, second from the Left recommended. Yes, we thought you might be headed that way. Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender-21.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	348562  
Old 09-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Wallace, ID. Great small town just over the boarder from CDA.

To be honest, we had breakfast there (huckleberry pancakes) but expect they have H Pie as well. At a minimum, H berrys with Ice cream.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ace_Idaho.html
Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
A bit further down the road...

https://www.google.com/search?q=bric...use%2520Bakery

This place is a must stop if you're in the vicinity ( region?) of cooperstown ny.
Brick house bakery, Cobkeskill, ny. We had hot pastrami sands and a cherry pie for the refer.

However, their pie, cake and bakery treat section was calling out loudly.

Didn't have double carame! Magnum bars,but who cares
B