Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to daveharc
Phoenix to Show Low

Hello,

We were thinking about taking our Airstream from Chandler, AZ to Show Low, AZ for an extended weekend but have never been there before. I have a couple of questions:

What's the best route to take there (i.e. via Payson or via Globe)
What's the best campground to stay at while we are there.

Any tip, suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

-dh-
daveharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Either route is doable...and both have their advantages...slightly closer via Globe. If you go through Globe you will go north from there and have to go through the Salt River Canyon...beautiful but be ready for some switchbacks and climbing down into and out of the Canyon. From Gilbert, I'd take the Beeline Highway to Payson and go east on 260. That way you can stop on the west end of the Mogollon Rim if you want. It's a beautiful drive. The absolute best campground to stay in the Show Low area is Fool Hollow Lake State Park...full hookups including sewer, $30/night...we love it there...and it's just minutes from Show Low. You should make reservations on line if you want to stay there...check our travel log (below) for lots of pictures of Fool Hollow.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Saint Joseph , Louisiana
Superior - Globe - Show Low

Last year my wife and I took the road from Superior through Globe and Show Low to Eagar. The route through the Salt River Canyon is spectacular, to say the least. I have not taken the more northerly route from Phoenix through Payson. There are many NF campgrounds between Show Low and Eagar but I have not tried them yet. We hope to do so this summer.

There are many campgrounds off hwy 260 between Payson and Show Low. We stayed at a developed campground off FR86 near Black Canyon Lake. It was well maintained and pretty nice. There are lots of other campgrounds in this area and the scenery along the Mogollon Rim is nice. If you have time, the drive down the east side of the state from Eagar to Safford is very scenic in spite of the forest fire damage to much of the area.
bhutch74ly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

before you go you may want to check out the current wildfire reports. it has been dry as a bone up north and the burning has already begun. if you check you might be able to avoid problems or delays. just a thought. otherwise i am sure it will be great as it is great forest area.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Both routes have significant elevation changes but I prefer the divided highway on 87 up to Payson, and 260 over to Show Low. I agree with TBRich...Fools Hollow State Park is an excellent place to stay. It's an outstanding state park. In fact, I've never seen anything like it before, as you'll see when you get there. Mallard and Red Head loops have full-hookups, while the other two RV loops are primarily water and electric, many of which are "double sites".
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

It was 40 degrees cooler there at night this weekend!

It is about a 3.5 hour drive through Payson without traffic. There is significant elevation change and currently, there are on-going fires between Phoenix and Payson. The road is still OK to drive though. There is some road construction currently on the route, which may be a problem if you go during peak hours.

Fool Hollow is great. As previously mentioned, I would reserve a site. Keep in mind that most of the sites are 'double' meaning that if you don't want someone right next to you on a pad, you need to reserve both sites or look for a single site on-line. Another thing to keep in mind is that the gate closes at 10PM--there is no late check in after that time.
random 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We were just up there 2 weeks ago. We stayed in Lakeside at a friend's place a then spent a couple of nights at Wood Canyon Lake. The route through Payson works best for us.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
If you can't get in Fools Hollow there is a nice campground a few miles west of Showlow on 260 called "High Country Campground".
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Fools Hollow is starting to book up, esp for the Redhead /Mallard. Call soon if you want weekends!
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Fools Hollow is starting to book up, esp for the Redhead /Mallard. Call soon if you want weekends!

Thanks, I booked June 1-4 last night and was able to secure the last spot! Hope I don't have too much trouble getting there.

If all goes well on this trip, we are thinking to try Yellowstone National Park the first week of July but I'm sure it will hard to get a spot there.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Also, check with the USFS as well. With the fires, I just heard they have restricted burning. Red flag, I believe. I don't think it will be an issue, but you might rethink your cooking plans!
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAAMbi7 View Post
Also, check with the USFS as well. With the fires, I just heard they have restricted burning. Red flag, I believe. I don't think it will be an issue, but you might rethink your cooking plans!
Update to the Show Low trip:

We made it to Fool Hollow Campground in Show Low and it was very nice & scenic. We did encounter issues with the power/voltage there and some people I met experienced low voltage issues also. They indicated that there were devices that could be attached to the power source to mitigate those types of power issues. So my questions are:

1) Do Airstreams come with any type of power regulators or surge protectors?

2) If not, what are the recommended brands/models to purchase overcome voltage / power issues?

Thanks!!!

-dh-
Old 06-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveharc View Post

We made it to Fool Hollow Campground in Show Low and it was very nice & scenic. We did encounter issues with the power/voltage there and some people I met experienced low voltage issues also. They indicated that there were devices that could be attached to the power source to mitigate those types of power issues. So my questions are:

2) If not, what are the recommended brands/models to purchase overcome voltage / power issues?

Thanks!!!

-dh-
1) Mine did not, but I have a 1975.

2) You are looking for a Voltage Control or Voltage Regulator unit. They run from ~$300 and up. I don't have one I use my generators if I encounter a low voltage situation. So far it has only happened once on a weekend when the campground was packed to capacity, my bad for not checking ahead. I don't like large crowds or crowded campgrounds.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAAMbi7 View Post
Bonnie, we are in Fool's Hollow Lake campground *Mallard Loop 10) and are headed for Chandler. The weather is projecting some snow tomorrow and we don't know whether the wisest choice is to stay here another day or so, or to go Payson or Glove routes. We are likely to find some snow on the Payson//Heber route, but are not sure if the Globe route will have any.

Which is best in questionable weather?
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you are concerned about snow, my preference would be the Globe route because the elevation drops significantly and quickly which gets you out of the snow zone. The ride across 260 will keep you at higher elevation until you head down the hill near Woods Canyon Lake which is 60 miles away.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveharc View Post

Thanks!!!

-dh-

No AS do not come with surge protectors. Buy a very good one your AS is worth it. Buy a low priced one you could lose the AS.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Silver Sanctuary, you may not have realized it but the original thread was from 2012 but it never hurts to get an update. :-)

7 years later still a beautiful place to go and route 87 has been vastly improved with great roads in both directions.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Silver Sanctuary, you may not have realized it but the original thread was from 2012 but it never hurts to get an update. :-)

7 years later still a beautiful place to go and route 87 has been vastly improved with great roads in both directions.
I didn't realize that the thread was 17 years old... and I went the Heber-Payson route. I was in snow from west of Heber tot he hill where the elevation drops considerablly. The road was clear but there was snow everywhere else. They had plowed at least once, but it wasn't bad. Richards post about the double lane for a lot of it was a factor.

We are not in Chandler where it is over 69 degrees
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote