Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2023, 11:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Phoenix to Portland routes

Picking up a new (used) trailer in Phoenix & heading back home to Portland, OR.

Looks like my 2 main routes are west to LA and then north on I-5 through CA/OR or straight north on 95 through Las Vegas-Tonopah-Winnemucca-Burns-Bend(OR).

I hear I-5 can be a combination of miserable and soul-sucking. Not sure about the inland route, especially at the end of January. The timing isn't ideal but we need to somehow work around it.

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!
Troy McLure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Having done both routes, we would visually prefer the Inland route. Since you said January would be your traveling time, I think you will be at the mercy of the weather. Having said that, if the weather changes, you don't have many options of changing directions or road choices on the Inland route.

Granted, you could still have some snow on the CA route, but you will be in a more populated area with highway emergency services close at hand and not too long of a wait.

This winter has been very a very productive snow in the Sierras so far. With the Ca rains they've been experiencing, that usually begets snow at higher elevations. Northern Arizona is expecting another round of snow this coming weekend.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Above all, you are at the mercy of the Weather Gods and they appear to be angry this year. For a January trip this strongly favors the California route, especially if you plan to overnight in the Airstream.

LA is horrible with or without a trailer, choose a route around it and still you should avoid the two lengthy rush periods. I like your description of 5 as “soul sucking” (although I find it a bit understated) but it is not dreadful once you get into Northern California. I suggest you consider 101, and use 280 to get around much of the Bay Area congestion.

Good luck …… it could be a wonderful trip!
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 02:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Mesa , Arizona
We live in the Phx area and travel up to visit family that way often. In the winters, I'd stick with I-5 North thru Cali. You can monitor the road conditions with near live shots from the CalTrans website or app for your phone https://quickmap.dot.ca.gov.

I would also avoid downtown LA and go North near Park, AZ then over to Bartson/Bakersfield then onto I-5 northbound.
HopJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:21 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Tallahassee , FL
Have done both but at this time of thebyear my choice would be I-5. Eastern Oregon has gotten a lot of snow and I-5 has more services if needed.
Kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Been on this route many times. In winter, the CA route offers alternative and less driving distance through potentially hazardous weather.
Take I10 west out of Phoenix, then at Quartzite or Blythe, head north to I40. Head west on I40 to Barstow, then CA 58 to Bakersfield. Between Barstow and Bakersfield the Tehachapi summit may be snowy but at least you are going down hill.
Once on I5, you can continue north on CA 99 on take CA58 a couple of miles north of Bakersfield over to I5.
Once on I5, it's a straight shot home. If you don't want to go through the Siskiyou summit on I5, the best place to cut over to US101 is north of the Bay area. (There's a sneaky back way to go from Tracy to Concord and then over to Novato on US101. Once on US101, the best place to cut back to I5 is OR 126 to Eugene.
As HopJockey said, check the weather and closely monitor conditions. Years ago, we picked up our 31' Airstream in Mesa in late December and drove back through CA. Since then, we've made the trip many time. Good luck!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:28 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Novato , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McLure View Post

Looks like my 2 main routes are west to LA and then north on I-5 through CA/OR or straight north on 95 through Las Vegas-Tonopah-Winnemucca-Burns-Bend(OR).

I hear I-5 can be a combination of miserable and soul-sucking. Not sure about the inland route, especially at the end of January. The timing isn't ideal but we need to somehow work around it.

You don’t say when you’re leaving Phoenix. Weather is your primary issue. Yes, 395 is the most beautiful and interesting route by far, with some great options for day stops along the way. But you need to get the 5 day forecast before you commit to 395. With rain not letting up until the 19th, you need to stay linked up to CalTrans road conditions and closures. 395 had passes over 7,000 feet at some points. Your commitment point is Mohave area. If weather not clear, it’s not a route for your first maiden voyage. Take I-5.
MSGrandview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopJockey View Post
We live in the Phx area and travel up to visit family that way often. In the winters, I'd stick with I-5 North thru Cali. You can monitor the road conditions with near live shots from the CalTrans website or app for your phone https://quickmap.dot.ca.gov.

I would also avoid downtown LA and go North near Park, AZ then over to Bartson/Bakersfield then onto I-5 northbound.

When we lived in EUG and friends in Pho we'd usually go thru Parker> Vidal Jct to Needles for a shorter day or Barstow to a KOA for a longer day. Not much in between the two. We also would sometimes opt for CA/99 for a change of pace.

Just a FYI, there are hookup sites at Yolo Co fair grounds in Woodlands. Options are limited after Lodi until well after Williams.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
We've taken the Tonopah Burns route many (too) times. Boring but not usually any snow problems. Once in Oregon you have to get over the Cascades and there might be a problem.

The other option, longer, is up through Salt Lake City, Boise, Columbia gorge to PDX.

We came to and from Bend to Tucson last Christmas. No problems but we watched the weather every day. If we had to stop and stay some place, we would have.
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:14 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Chula Vista , California
The 101 has been closed off and on in central CA due to flooding. Up to 2 hour delays at Port Orford due to collapsed roadway.

I-5 over the Siskiyou's has had a bit of snow too. Chains may be required for TV and trailer North of Redding.

https://www.co.siskiyou.ca.us/ru/pag...s-and-web-cams

https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org...-ashland-yreka
Oreg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:42 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Brush Prairie , WA
Any route other than thru CA. Horrible highways. Lots of damage to the cabinets in our 2019 GT FB27 last year going to San Diego from Portland last February. The governor should be ashamed about the condition of the roads and highways.
Knotflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:59 AM   #12
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I like Whitelight's route through the middle. Call ahead, many California camps are flooded out with the rain.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 12:14 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
KIRKLAND , WA
Seattle-Portland to Phoenix Routes

We left Seattle in the snow two years ago and due to heavy rains and dropping temperatures in southern Oregon and over the Siskiyou pass detoured to 101 on the coast. It added an extra day to Phoenix, but a pretty drive. Last year we watched the weather and road conditions and went to Portland to Bend then south to Klamath Falls and Susanville to Phenix. We were able to slip over the Cascades with a break in the weather. Snow on the sides at Government Camp, but the road was clear.

Here are a couple of good links for road conditions in the western states. This one gives road conditions, temperatures and pictures: https://oss.weathershare.org/?clat=4...ng=-114&zoom=5 This link provides all kinds of information about the highways: http://www.westernstates.org/Project...s/Default.html

We carry chains for the F150 and for the FC 25. January can be cold. I think we would opt for I-5 as the others have suggested.
ATaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
ATaber, thank you! When we moved from EUG to Washington, MO and thinking I've been all over the west and will now focus to the East, I had forgotten to transfer the link
https://oss.weathershare.org/?clat=4...ng=-114&zoom=5

to the new laptop an iPhone. Thanks you for the reminder. That site wrappes up all you need to know for winter travel from Denver to the West coast! No need for an O-DoTwhatever for every state!

I have always used is as we webpage. Is that how you're using it or do you have an app?

Re above post...

Also re my earlier post from OR it a pass in every direction, be it I-84 to that bad boy out of Pendelton, (AKA Cabbage Hill) or OR 20, 26 or 58 or I-5 at Siskiyou. Folks need to watch the weather and be ready to go. Once heading to Paso, Siskiyou looked clear but in the 5 hours it to took to get do over that pass, we could see off in distance that Weed/Brown Bear pass was out to lunch. No turning back and lucked out with light snow but no chain controls. Whew...downhill until the CA46 turn to Paso.

So regardless of direction, carry chains for TV as well as TT. Folks may choose to ride it out but OR/CA troopers will give tickets regardless of intent.

I also also mention that I like CA99 so as not to get too far west approaching the bay area, but I believe the Mokelumne or Cosumnes rivers are where there were some break in their dike systems that affected CA99. (Elk Grove to Lodi)
Old 01-15-2023, 09:12 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
Interstates 10/210 from Phoenix through Pasadena and then North on I5. Just time it so you pass through So Cal in low traffic hours (early morning on a weekend or holiday).

Towing an Airstream through the Eastern Sierras (6,000 ft+ on Highway 395), Nevada or Utah is probably not wise in January ESPECIALLY with a brand new trailer on your first voyage. Extremely risk even with 4WD and all terrain tires on a strong tow vehicle.

You also need to plan your voyage on Hwy 5 to avoid the Grapevine or the stretch North of Redding in bad (high rain and wind but especially re: cold).
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:47 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Yep

Just did this trip in September.
I5 is the safest and fastest, just keep aware of the snow over Shasta.
Las Vegas Tahoe is fun, but tons of snow now
San Diego, up Pacific Coast Highway to 101 up the coast is great, did this in March to avoid I5 and snow. Many great stopping points

Salt Lake city is 100 miles farther and equally as safe as I5, and the most fun, if you want to stop at a couple National Parks

All depends upon your available time.

My trip was Portland, Salt Lake, Bryce, Zion, Page AZ, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Tahoe, Grants Pass, Portland
Enjoy.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:49 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McLure View Post

Avoid I5 thru California unless the weather is raging in the mountains around Reno to Bend. We have traveled I5 but the concrete road was was pocket with deep cracked holes. The Reno Bend route is also quite attractive and scenic.
Fred Gientke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:36 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It was helpful.

We're going to head up & down through I-5. Although the inland route is probably a nicer drive and easier on the trailer, the weather this year is too unpredictable to risk getting caught in the middle of nowhere.

101 would also be nicer during a different time of year but I am seeing a lot of storm damage along that route as well. I have little to no interest in being forced to turn around.
Troy McLure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:00 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Chula Vista , California
There's about a 7-10 day window of clear weather over California right now. However Santa Ana winds will be blowing over SoCal starting Sunday (Jan 22nd) afternoon.
Oreg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:56 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Tucson , Arizona
Have done both routes multiple times. The Salt Lake City route is much nicer, but more mountains to cross. Just be aware of forecasts and road conditions and take your time. Hole up somewhere if it looks like bad weather ahead. You’ll be fine.
nmzouk is offline   Reply With Quote