Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2020, 12:57 PM   #21

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Mouse Moat Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewranglers View Post
I thought I may offer something we discovered by accident and then built to keep the critters out of our Argosy during winter storage, at least.
We have a building with a concrete floor to store our coach in. The mice come in droves when the weather turns. While moving a role of leftover metal flashing during fall cleaning we discovered a dead mouse in the center of the 18" high roll. Poor guy couldn't jump that high?! We decided it was worth the experiment, and unrolled the flashing roll around the perimeter of the Argosy. We then took scrap 2x4's and laid them along the inside of the metal, flat on the floor, then screwed sheet metal screws through the metal from the outside to give the thin wall some rigidity. Worked great! It stands on its own, and we simply wound the two ends around each other at the trailer tongue then duck taped the top and bottoms to complete the circuit. It's an 18" galvanized wall they haven't been able to get over. I baited with good portions of peanut butter inside and out and the perimeter outside the "wall" was eaten clean overnight. Inside was untouched. Hence, the "Mouse Moat"! No mice last year! This year we will add dryer sheets for good measure. Give it a try. good luck!-Erin
I'm very interested in the mouse moat you discussed. The only other information I've found about them was on a University of California website.

If you've got any pictures, tips, information on construction, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you!
Texastream is offline   Reply With Quote