Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Athens , Georgia
Peoria Il to Atlanta GA towing our '74 Argosy home

My wife and I will be picking up our newly purchased '74 Argosy 26 from just above Peoria Il and towing it home to Athens Georgia next week. Looks like the interstates we will be hitting will be 70 to 64, 64 to 57, 57 to 24 and 24 to 75 and home. While I have pulled car trailers with old Buicks all over the country this is the first time I've pulled a 26 foot trailer. The trailer weighs around 3900 with a tongue weight of about 520 lbs. Will be towing with an '03 4wd Silverado 1500HD and she has never even grunted while pulling 4400 lbs of old Buick iron before.
So I'm sort of seeking advice here on whether or not any of the routes above should be avoided and also any tips on towing on those Interstates. Looks like the weather forecast calls for sunny skies so have that going for me.
Will appreciate any advice or input.
Buickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Is that the blue and white Argosy in Rock Island Il.? By the time I saw it,it was gone. There is also one in Galesburg Il. listed at 8K.
Did you mean 74, not 70? I drove that route several times and was a good Interstate route.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
The only area with significant grade will be down around Chattanooga. 57 to 24 to 75 then the bypass around Atlanta and straight east to Athens. Pretty easy drive. Driven it many times.

GO DAWGS! UGA!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Is that the blue and white Argosy in Rock Island Il.? By the time I saw it,it was gone. There is also one in Galesburg Il. listed at 8K.
Did you mean 74, not 70? I drove that route several times and was a good Interstate route.
mj

Yea, I mean 74.
I bought the sweet all original in Galesburg. Looked seriously at the blue and white too but the seller thought I was asking too many questions about brakes and the hookup so backed away.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
The only area with significant grade will be down around Chattanooga. 57 to 24 to 75 then the bypass around Atlanta and straight east to Athens. Pretty easy drive. Driven it many times.

GO DAWGS! UGA!
Sounds like you know it well mayco. How bout them dawgs, just couldn't pull it off eh?
If that's the worse grade, no worries about that then, pulled it many times. My biggest concern is rough roads, potholes, bad bridge abutments etc that could start a sway situation. Will not have sway control and planning on just keeping speed down around 55 in the right lane. Bias ply tires are about 10 years old so want to stay out of bad potholes. looking for a spare wheel and tire set now.
Also none of those are toll roads are they, hate them.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Nashville , Tennessee
Major pothole problems in I-440 going around Nashville. Some of these have disabled both cars and trucks hitting them. I live here but try to avoid 440 until they get it newly paved this spring...(supposedly)! Have a safe trip!
2016 Flying Cloud 25 FB with stern mounted Fiammia Bike rack. TV is 2006 LBZ GMC 2500HD with Gale Banks Engineering engine package. 40 gallon Aux. diesel tank. Front maneuvering hitch. Rancho XL shocks. WBCCI 5173
RobH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
Ky

2020 27' Globetrotter
Davidsonville , Maryland
Good Luck, Illinois Tips...

Hi “Buickman”,

My name is Kyle. I happened to have been born and grew up in Galesburg IL and have spent almost my entire 54 years in the Galesburg, Peoria, and Bloomington IL area.

I can’t comment on your entire trip, but I can on the Central Illinois part, which I know like the back of my hand.

If you are in Galesburg try to have a meal at the Land Mark Café or the Packing House Steak House. They are average restaurants but better than most there. Sidetrax has a decent sandwich and cold beer. The Pizza House has good thin crust pizza. Hopefully there are other good new places. I have not been there in two years since my father passed.

There is little to do or see in Galesburg, hence why it has gotten smaller and smaller over the last 40 years. There are some really nice old houses, take a slow drive on Cherry, Prairie, Kellogg and Broad Streets. Incredible old homes, most in poor repair. If you are into “trains” there is a lot to do there.

There is a campground in Galesburg at a park called “Lake Storey.” It is a very nice park. The campground is so so at best, but the park around it is nice, as is Lincoln Park across the street.

I assume you will be taking I74 South to I55 to head to Atlanta. If you are going to camp on your way back, a couple VERY nice campgrounds for you to visit:…

1. Sand Ridge State Park near Manito IL. The campground is called “Pine Campground.” It is a primitive campground but there is fresh water just as you pull into the campground to fill up with and a dump station for when you leave. My experience through many years is you will either be the only campers there, or there may be 4-8 other groups there in high season. It is a very unique area of Illinois. Close to the Illinois River Valley. Very sandy and they even have cactus that grow there year-round. One VERY COOL thing is there are birds called “Whippoorwills.” Look them up on Wiki. Very cool sound/call, at dusk, especially at a full moon. Hearing them at a full moon is a memory you will never forget. Just like anywhere in Illinois, you’ll need a good dose of bug spray. The local restaurant on the main drag in Manito is pretty good for breakfast.

2. If you are going to head South through IL, I would next recommend “Ferne Clyffe” state park. There are very nice trails there, a spring fed creek, and great vistas to view. Nearby you have Giant City State Park, nice for hiking, and rock climbing. “Garden of the God’s” State Park is also a very nice park with fantastic views, but their campground is so-so at best.

I have spent almost my entire life in Illinois. Keep in mind the state is broke, one of the worst off financially of all states in the US. The State Parks are not well maintained. These two I mentioned will not disappoint you though, especially if you are looking for something more remote and solitude. These ARE NOT parks with full hook ups, swimming pools, and wireless WiFi, they are more rustic.

I have camped all my life, mostly in IL. On Friday I will be picking up my first AS. A new 2018 26’ RBT at Airstream of VA. I plan to live in it for the next 5 yrs or so. Good luck to you. Enjoy your visit to IL. It is a very nice area, but it is unfortunate the State is in such debt and poor repair.

Kyle

My name is Kyle and I can be reached at kylentz@gmail.com.

PS, if you leave Galesburg and are heading South on I74 to I55, when you go by Bloomington, if you exit at Route 9 there is a “Blain’s Farm & Fleet” store. Great place. Lots of trailering stuff. Lot’s of good deals. Everything from Walnuts and coffee to jeans, car batteries, and pet food. Also, gas is always pretty well priced at that exit.
kylentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Mt Eagle on I-24, 30 miles west of Chattanooga is your only tough spot. Headed east to Chattanooga you will have a steep climb, with sharp turns to the top. There is a rest stop at the very top. On the east downside run it is long and smooth, but hard on the brakes. Lots of trucks. Take it slow. It is bigger than it looks.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote