Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Pending Pa legislation may affect YOU!!

If you travel through the state of Pennsylvania, or if you live there, this piece of pending legislation will affect you.
Read the bill here: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...B1737P2224.HTM
Yes, it is a common sense bill. But. Another choice imposed on us! And another potential source of income for Pennsylvania from those of us simply visiting! Let Pennsylvania legislators know how you, a tourist, feel about this bill. I'm not sure I WANT to drive in Pa anymore...... or I'll look for the shortest route through or whatever, and take my fuel, and supplies dollars, to another state!
This is already being discussed on various dog lists.
And simply for your information, a cheap, ineffective seatbelt for a dog is about $15. One that is good and will actually help protect your dog will run close to $45. It is generally conceded that crating in a plastic crate, a Vari Kennel or the like, is the best protection, as long as the crae is securely tied down. One of those will run from $30 up to over $90 for an airline approved one. So for me and my two large dogs, I can shell out around $90 for a pair of seatbelts, or around $160 to $182 for the vari kennels to be able to be legal in Pennsylvania! Good thing I already have a pair of ruff riders! (http://ruffrider.com/)
Oh! Feel free to pass this information on to other RV lists, or clubs! It WILL affect us.

Elizabeth in Iowa

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 06-25-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Let's keep this on the top of the pile for a while.... and pass it on! Make sure everyone and anyone this may affect know about it.
Feel free to cross post the links, and all the information.

Elizabeth
Old 06-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Petunia is going to hate that law ... she loves sticking her head out the window.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Maybe they will exempt vehicles over certain weight, so the farm animals are not impacted...which might exclude RV's also.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
MIGHT exclude RVs, but won't exclude trucks towing trailers, which is most people on this forum.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think this is a really stupid law, almost as stupid as the people I see driving around with Fluffy on their lap.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
Maybe they will exempt vehicles over certain weight, so the farm animals are not impacted...which might exclude RV's also.
It clearly states "pet", which would exclude farm animals.
Although it looks ambiguous, are they wanting the pet restrained while inside the vehicle, or restrained so it cannot stick its' head out of the window?
If it is the former, my brother is not going to like being in a pet crate while we drive through Pennsylvania...
Old 06-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
typical law, it will inconvenience people who's pets are perfectly behaved in a vehicle already, and people who have out of control pets (and it hasn't occured to them to restrain them yet) will ignore it. My dogs travel perfectly well in the car, and I used to have a parrot who freaked out in her cage while travelling, but was happy when I let her out - she would sit on top of the cage and say 'hello' to the cars as we drove along. I travelled many many miles with her like that.

I'm glad to hear that PA has apparently solved all of their really pressing social and economic issues, and can now move on to regulating restraining pets in cars!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Ha - our girls are the best behaved in a car - besides having no room for crates and all their beds and pillows in the back - they would be miserable in a crate - so we will opt for this solution - no definition of a "gate" but the sentence says "which separates the drivers area -

Quote:
14 (3) If the pet is a dog, a dog gate which separates the
15 driver's area of the motor vehicle from the area in which the
16 dog is confined.
How about a cargo net that runs up the right side of the driver and velcros to the roof of the car - now I have my own area - pop it up at the state line and pop it down upon departure.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:26 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
ooh ooh pick me - I know the answer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
....... I'm glad to hear that PA has apparently solved all of their really pressing social and economic issues, and can now move on to regulating restraining pets in cars!
I used to live in western PA and so I understand that it is cheaper to restrain pets and prohibit head out window behavior that to fix the POT HOLES! Those holes are so big that an accidental drive through one might bounce your pet clean out of the car. I wonder if anyone has ever looked for Hoffa ay the bottom of one?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote