Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #21
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
So if you have a reservation system online AND a "first come, first served" system, how do you know the vacant spot is not reserved?
Or is the entire campground one or the other?
The camp hosts place signs designating which sites are reserved and the dates of the next reservation. The campground I was at this past week had zero available sites as it is a very popular for camping and fishing. They had a sign at he camp ground entrance stating that there were no available sites

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In my experience, most if not all first come, first served federal campgrounds don’t have online reservations.

The ones that do have a camp host who tags sites that have been taken.

This would be very unusual, in my experience.

Some larger campgrounds have a combination of reservable and first come, first serve.

And, many campgrounds are less than $10/night with the senior pass, and some with no amenities at all are free.

It’s always good to find the camp host and ask about available sites, as sometimes they know of someone who has just left or readying to leave.

Maggie
Old 08-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If a NF campground is enrolled with Recreation.Gov (not all are), usually there are both reservable and FCFS sites. Most have at least one campground host who will post the reserved sites. The FCFS sites can usually be occupied for 14 days so, once you are in, you are good.

To confuse things, if a reservable site is not reserved, it can be occupied on a day to day basis — great for a quick overnight while underway.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:58 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Most Reservations have to be 24 hours in advance. Campground hosts or front office personnel then (usually) post a reservation notice at the campsite showing the name and dates of the reserved site. Many state parks have every camper check in at a kiosk as they come into the park even if they have a Confirmed reservation.

I said ‘usually’ because I just had an experience in Kansas at a state park where the front office person sent me out to park my rig at any open site because “some people just take a site and don’t register until later.”
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikati View Post
OK, I give up, what is "NF?"
FYI "Acronym" links here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=acro...=airforums.com
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f13...ist-28713.html

HT . . . Happy Trails . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #26

Currently Looking...
Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessl_99 View Post
Check out the 'America the Beautiful' passes. There is a life time senior, disabled, and annual one. These will almost always get you half off on the camping fee. FS camping fees run from $10-30/night. Depending on ammenities available. Recreation.gov is a great way to go if you can plan ahead. With few exceptions you can 'walkin' stay on a available site without a reservation for a day or two. I'm a FS recreation Tech so I field these questions just about everyday.
Just a small correction to your statement. The Annual 80.00 America the Beautiful pass does not get you any amenity discounts, nor does the free military or 4th grader one. The only ones that have the discount on amenities is the Senior Annual/Lifetime or the Access (Disabled) Pass.
dstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Paying for NF campsites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
So if you have a reservation system online AND a "first come, first served" system, how do you know the vacant spot is not reserved?
Or is the entire campground one or the other?

Most NFS campgrounds I have been to have both FCFS and reservable sites. We just returned from camping last Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at Stony Fork CG where site 48 was reserved for the weekend. We camped on site 48 as it was FCFS until the weekend. Looking at the attached photo, site 48 is reserved for next Labor Day weekend, but is FCFS for the next 4 days and available for reservation the next two days. Typically there is not a need to reserve a site during the week at this CG. I have also included a map of the CG and information on the sites that are reservable. BTW, this is a 5 star CG in my opinion.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	377220Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6846.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	377221Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	377222Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6849.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	675.5 KB
ID:	377223
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikati View Post
OK, I give up, what is "NF?"
National Forest
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
The FCFS versus Reservation policy is, I suspect, set by the concessionaire. Most of the campgrounds in Eastern Wa and N Idaho are run by Scenic Canyon. Last year most of these campgrounds had roughly 1/4 FCFS sites. This year they did away with all of them Strictly Reservation only. All of the campgrounds were totally full until about 10 days ago. Now there are empty sites in almost all of them.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
how do you know the vacant spot is not reserved?

Usually the park is one way or the other. At reservation parks the host camper/ranger puts a card on the site post with name and dates. You pull in, set up and leave at scheduled time. Sometimes there are or are not gate attendants.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Ps........recreation.gov.....for national parks whether in the National Park system or not. Ie Nat Forest, Dept Agriculture, NASA, National Wildlife Service, and the National Park Service.

State Parks .....often use ReserveAmerica.com, but not always.

Land Between the Lakes,.......TVA/USDA has their own system. Which the USDA/ Forestry Dept still uses instead of Recreation.gov.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Myrtle Point , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikingsolo View Post
Most Reservations have to be 24 hours in advance. Campground hosts or front office personnel then (usually) post a reservation notice at the campsite showing the name and dates of the reserved site. Many state parks have every camper check in at a kiosk as they come into the park even if they have a Confirmed reservation.

I said ‘usually’ because I just had an experience in Kansas at a state park where the front office person sent me out to park my rig at any open site because “some people just take a site and don’t register until later.”
Many campgrounds will post a list of incoming reservations so you can see if a site is reserved for the following day.
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #33
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
There are some concessionaires at National Forest campgrounds who require you to call Recreation.gov, which entails a reservation fee in addition to the site fee, on empty reservable sites, where reservations can be made day of arrival. There are others where the reservations have to be made 72 hrs prior to arrival, so those unoccupied, unreserved sites can be rented.

I much prefer locations which have first come first serve.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:56 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Check fraud is pretty rare these days. If you just carry a gel pen and not leave any blank space on the “amount” line, it would be pretty hard to alter. Yeah, they would have your account number and bank ID but there is not much they could do with it nowadays when every bank communicates with every other bank in real time.
Unfortunately, it does happen. Had some clever thieves take a check and make new ones using the bank routing number and the account number. They bought a lot of stuff and it was heck straightening it out, especially since we didn't catch it until we received the bank statement. I regularly check the account online now.
M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #35
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We often reserve a site that may be one of the last reservable sites. (If you don’t plan ahead as well as you should ). So we reserve a “not so good” site, inside the loop, downwind of the pit toilet. When we get there we check out the FCFS sites. Almost every time the host will let us switch. I think once a host didn’t want to hassle with switching. For us it’s a good way to reduce anxiety. At least you know you have some place to stay..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
The envelope and honor system is alive and well at Horsethief Camp in Moab. Otherwise, book and pay online at recreation.gov
Or, if ur lucky, pay the camp host
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:30 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Smith View Post
Unfortunately, it does happen. Had some clever thieves take a check and make new ones using the bank routing number and the account number. They bought a lot of stuff and it was heck straightening it out, especially since we didn't catch it until we received the bank statement. I regularly check the account online now.
Everyday.
That's why god made credit cards.
welcome to the 21st
(truth be told, I keep a wad of tens for the occasional serendipity. With the old fogie lifetime pass that I bought a couple years back for $10 (!) I pay 50% discount, most places are $10. For me.)
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsasf View Post
Because I lived overseas from 2006 until couple years ago I have not camped in a NF campground since about 2004. At that time, as I recall, at the place I camped (first-come, first-served) there was a box where you took out envelop, put $5 in it and either put site number or your auto tag number on it. I know costs have gone up if doing a NF mainatined site. But how are payments handled these days? Cash in envelope? Check? Credit card info? Or do all payments need to be in advance online?
Hello smsasf,

I am not sure about the fee for camping at a national Forest, but are you aware that the National Forest Service often enough has special use agreements with state park campgrounds? And if you have a senior pass you can access these campsites - usually excellent quality with at least some hookups - for half price.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:19 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
This past summer I used cash or check in NF fee situations.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote