Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Parking your little camper at Interstate rest areas

Ok campers and glampers, this topic always gets interesting at other Airstream forums, like where the addicts hang out.
Some won't like what they hear,especially the super truckers, that come in all shapes and sizes of pickups but it is what it is.
Let me start this with this upcoming RV glamping season.Sales of new units of all types, are at record levels.That means that many thousands of units more are going to be on the road this camping season.
Many of these new drivers of combination vehicles don't have a clue what the deal is out on the road.
With my limited tractor trailer experience, of a few million miles or so, some will be quick to point out here, that I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm sure they are correct.
So here we go.No matter how big your Airstream is, and how huge ( to you) your tow vehicle is, or how much taxes you pay, especially later in the day ( there are exceptions I'll get into) STAY OUT of the Semi truck side of the rest areas.Thats NOT where you spend the night.
That is reserved for big trucks, with their drivers who are very limited in operation hours.They are also limited due to weight, where they can safely park those rigs.
Oh, btw, there isn't a "backup camera" on the back of those semi trailers. Thats just another , of many clues, you are parked on the wrong skill level side.
A fully loaded tractor trailer rig weighs 80,000 pounds.(40 Tons).Or more.
Those areas and approaches+ exits were specially built just for them.Nothing cranks a pro driver off more, than pulling into a rest area at night,almost out of hours of service, seeing a empty spot between semi rigs, going to pull in, and there's a little camper in there.Or some genius with a Uhaul trailer.
I've also seen semis, who had to pull over on the exits of rest areas, because they were full, actually fall over when wet ground gave way in morning.Because campers or whatever were on their side.
So, your little camper parking is on the car side of the rest area.Learn to park on the outer edges, you don't need to be in a parking space.Thats a safer way for you to park anyway.Learn to park away from the tourists, not in the middle of their parking mess, full of little kids / dogs running around.
Here's where the exemption to parking on the Semi side of rest area comes in.At noon, when you pull into a rest area, and just see a couple semis over there,and 30 empty spots, sure, pull in.Close to the rest rooms as you can get.But not at 8 pm.Use your head.Does it look like you belong with those huge trucks???Of course not.
At night, if you can't get in, go to the next exit and park at Walmart, or some shopping area empty lot, or some closed fast food parking lot.Be creative.Thats for little trailers.
It is what it is...
Old 04-03-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Too many broad brush strokes for a meaningful reply IMO.

Most hard-and-fast rules fail under the weight of their own folly IMO.

Never say never.

Happy trails,
Old 04-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Too many broad brush strokes for a meaningful reply IMO.

Most hard-and-fast rules fail under the weight of their own folly IMO.

Never say never.

Happy trails,
It takes a really "broad brush" to paint a commercial trailer.
My point exactly! Thanks!
Old 04-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Totally disagree. First of all rest stops are not meant for overnight stays. I have seen those signs. Second of all the car end doesn't have enough room. Even more dangerous. Third, using common sense means you stay clear of semis. But even if you have to that doesn't mean they can't see you. Fourth, there are no signs (that I'm aware of) saying campers are to stay out. This is straining a nat and swallowing a camel in my opinion.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Totally disagree. First of all rest stops are not meant for overnight stays. I have seen those signs. Second of all the car end doesn't have enough room. Even more dangerous. Third, using common sense means you stay clear of semis. But even if you have to that doesn't mean they can't see you. Fourth, there are no signs (that I'm aware of) saying campers are to stay out. This is straining a nat and swallowing a camel in my opinion.
I'm mainly talking about parking a little camper on the correct side, at night., but also to run in and do whatever, at night.
Or eat their picnic lunch, during the day, when semi side is busy. Ive seen it all.I really don't care where campers park for the night, as long as it isn't on the big truck side.I gave some suggestions for new people.
Ive also seen little kids run around under semi trailers + play, because their genius camper driving parents thought having a picnic on the Semi side was a great idea.Somebody would have to strain that accident.
Great analogy, thanks!
Old 04-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Sorry Dr. Cole...

I don't do it often, (only 'cuz they be smelly, and I don't like being mistaken for a shiny ore house), but when I do I'll wait to be asked to leave...BTW, that's never happened.

Oh, and when we take a dog or leg stretch break we just take up room in the eateries parking lot.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-03-2021, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I don't do it often, (only 'cuz they be smelly, and I don't like being mistaken for a shiny ore house), but when I do I'll wait to be asked to leave...BTW, that's never happened.

Bob
����
I knew something like this was on the way Bob, ya get big sharks and small sharks in the chum line ..
Old 04-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I park where the signage directs me to park. Sometimes it's with the trucks, sometimes it's in a dedicated RV area. Rarely does the signage direct me to park with the autos. I always try to be courteous and considerate no matter what I'm doing and that includes parking with the tractor trailer rigs. If there is a problem with not enough parking it's not the fault of the RVers but of the government and commercial interests who mandate use the parking. All things being equal commercial interests don't trump (small t, settle down) my interests.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
I park where the signage directs me to park. Sometimes it's with the trucks, sometimes it's in a dedicated RV area. Rarely does the signage direct me to park with the autos. I always try to be courteous and considerate no matter what I'm doing and that includes parking with the tractor trailer rigs. If there is a problem with not enough parking it's not the fault of the RVers but of the government and commercial interests who mandate use the parking. All things being equal commercial interests don't trump (small t, settle down) my interests.
Ya got me all excited, I'm still bleary eyed, I thought that was a capital T
Again, sure, during the day, when sleeping semi drivers have left, to make a pit stop, use the big truck side with larger camping rigs.But in the evening,no, that spot when taken, for short time even, is gone for a passing big rig.Thats when that smaller camping rig belongs on the car side ( usually very wide open) at night.The semi side is always jammed up at night.
I'm doing this about overnight parking.
Thanks.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Dr. Cole,

Where did you get your trolling license?
I could use one also.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Sorry, not sorry! Our combination is almost 45' long. Head to head spots are more like 40', and empty ones like that are frequently nowhere to be found on the civilian side of the rest area. I will not have 5' of my rig sticking out into a driving lane. If I park it crooked to shorten that, I'm taking up a minimum of three spaces. Not to mention all the "darters" zipping around, just as they are expected to on the civilian side...
We have never overnighted in a rest stop, never intend to. But short of that, we will follow the signs, which lump us with the truckers at 99 out of 100 rest stops. When I see 15 to 20 rigs greeting the morning sun along the in/out ramps, I know it is not because of the RV's parked in their spaces behind the building. Write your congressman, but don't rail at us po' little campers.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Dr. Cole,

Where did you get your trolling license?
I could use one also.

Bob
����
I didn't know you were a fisherman Bob.Trolling is my favorite way to fish, ( I'm loading the boat up now) with the long lines.I would be happy to instruct you in the fine arts.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Signs point you where to go. If it says RVs I’ll go that way. There is sometime no way to tell what corner you are going to back yourself into if you follow the cars only sign. I’m also not going to illegally park in the car area to accommodate a truckers rest. Other industries that require rest pay for hotel rooms.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
I'm mainly talking about parking a little camper on the correct side, at night., but also to run in and do whatever, at night.
Or eat their picnic lunch, during the day, when semi side is busy. Ive seen it all.I really don't care where campers park for the night, as long as it isn't on the big truck side.I gave some suggestions for new people.
Ive also seen little kids run around under semi trailers + play, because their genius camper driving parents thought having a picnic on the Semi side was a great idea.Somebody would have to strain that accident.
Great analogy, thanks!
Most public taxpayer funded rest areas I’ve seen have two sides. Cars and trailers. Never once have I seen a “big truck side”.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
This thread is closed.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread