Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Parking Fun

Which is easier to park... A short bed TV with a 25' AS or a long bed TV with a 28' AS or does it make a difference?

Why do some guys think that parking is a gender thing? I have had neighbors applaud when I back in.. just think that is funny!

Looking forward to your response.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
I found backing my 25’ easier than the 28’ or 30’. Seems to move better. It could be I’ve gotten more comfortable, aggressive, or just better over time.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Define "easier."

If you're trying to back straight, a long-wheelbase tow vehicle and a long distance between hitch and trailer tires makes backing straight easier.

If you're trying to back around a curve, a short-wheelbase tow vehicle and a short distance between hitch and trailer tires lets you make tighter turns more easily while backing.

So the answer to your question is "Both. Either. Neither. Depends on where you're trying to park the trailer."
Old 01-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Love that reply..usually backing with our long bed and 28' it is around a curve in a cg. So sometimes it takes more than a quick stab to get in and sometimes it just happens.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had a motorhome with a long overhang sometimes towing a very short motorcycle trailer (9').
That thing jackknifed just looking at it.
To make it worse, you couldn't see it in the side mirrors because it was so narrow.
Longer trailers are easier.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Which is easier to park... A short bed TV with a 25' AS or a long bed TV with a 28' AS or does it make a difference?

Why do some guys think that parking is a gender thing? I have had neighbors applaud when I back in.. just think that is funny!

Looking forward to your response.
Parking is always easier when no one is watching.

Regarding the gender thing... nice that you have a sense of humor about this. I don't - much.

When My DH and I are pulling into a campground and he is driving, no one has ever offered to "help with the backing" upon check-in but when I have been towing solo, this is a common offer.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The shorter wheelbase tow vehicle is easier to turn and therefore less problematic when backing a rig of any size.

The longer coach will not turn as fast and therefore is easier to back into a parking site, if there is enough room for it to fit.

The shorter coach is easier to fit into a tight site, specifically one requiring a 90 degree turn.

The longer wheelbase tow vehicle will be more stable when traveling, more difficult to back, and require more space to make a u-turn.

Note - "More difficult" does not mean impossible. It just may take several adjustments moving back and then forward to get the coach turning and then to align it on the site. "Easier to turn" may mean that the vehicle can be turned too much and require you to constrain your steering when following the coach into the site.

Good luck with your choice. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We are full-timers so I have done this many times..my husband cannot back the trailer but is very good at directions on backing and hooking up. We are a team but it is annoying for guys to clap at my backing. Maybe I am venting!
Old 01-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Enjoy the accolades!!!
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
When My DH and I are pulling into a campground and he is driving, no one has ever offered to "help with the backing" upon check-in but when I have been towing solo, this is a common offer.
THAT is definitely a "guy thing." Or more precisely, a combination of biology and sociology. Guys are conditioned from childhood to compete with each other, not help each other. Testosterone recognizes testosterone. On the other hand, guys that were raised as gentlemen and not cavemen are conditioned to offer to help ladies in (perceived) distress. Doesn't matter if the lady in question really is in distress or not. Because testosterone recognizes estrogen, too.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Almost as fun as spectating at the boat launch ramp.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
I am a strong believer no one should help the backing or hooking up..we have been interrupted and it leads to a mistake. We were tent campers and 5 yrs ago bought this 28' AS and a long bed pickup . We have survived so far as full-timers. Love the comments but I do not like an applause from guys or ladies. It is no big deal but glad I can do it! I have offered to teach my husband..not that interested. I will work on it..he should learn how.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If I happen to be next to ANYONE as they arrive, tell them “Howdy” as we meet... don’t take a bunch of their time or distract..

If it is obvious they are struggling, I only observe and mention the possible issue to them.. “just want to verify what you know...you are about 2 feet from that tree that’s in your blind spot... “

If they sneer, well, at least the “Good Samaritan “ in me tried... and I just say, “sorry I troubled you.. won’t happen again.”
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dedicated free wheeler female here. Intellectual honesty is inconvenient. But I kinda sorta think that testosterone may give males a slight edge in backing (but not in hitting the toilet bowl eewh!). Some men seem to have surveying instruments im their eyes. My visualization is often suspect, Va Highland Haven always flummoxes me. Too close to straight back in? Usually let a nice guy park for me.

Every backing situation is slightly different. I have occasiomally used a graphic aid which makes me look good - a 50 foot heavy duty yellow extension cord. I lay it on the ground where I want the trailer wheels to end up, then unroll it on the path the wheels should take to get there. While doing this I look at all backing hazards - trees, water, sewer and power stands, as well as vehicles, signs, etc that the truck could encounter on the opposite side pf the road. Makes a huge difference in my confidence - until some ***hole in a golf cart whizzes around me because he just can't wait (oh for an air horn. [emoji48])
Paula
Old 01-30-2018, 10:15 PM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I have occasiomally used a graphic aid which makes me look good - a 50 foot heavy duty yellow extension cord. I lay it on the ground where I want the trailer wheels to end up, then unroll it on the path the wheels should take to get there.
That is brilliant! Laying the cord on the driver's side, and angling the driver's side outside mirror down to see the cord better, it's as close to foolproof as you can get.

But I'd use a yellow polypropylene rope (https://www.amazon.com/Wasons-W103-1...propylene+rope) instead of an extension cord. More flexible, lighter weight, stores in a smaller space, and no harm done if you mess up and run over it while backing up.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:10 AM   #16
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Love the yellow cord idea. We occasionally use a bunch of those inexpensive orange "soccer cones" or "sports cones" to help us line up on a spot. It can be incredibly helpful, and they are cheap enough that if you actually manage to back over one of them, nobody cries.

Oh, and we're in the same trailer as badkat. The DW backs us into a spot while the DH runs around outside with a radio, waving his arms and giving directions. The DW is kind enough to pretend the DH is actually helping.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, long bed or short bed?????? How about I have a short bed with a long cab. If I feel that I need some visual help, I have a few Orange cones. I also have a backup camera on my trailer. Parking at my house is quite difficult. Last time I parked, my wife was in the house, and with the help of my backup camera and white lines that I painted on my RV pad, it was simple.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Most annoying is when people start making steering wheel gestures in the mirror. Or one points while someone else does the steering wheel thing.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #19

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Most annoying is when people start making steering wheel gestures in the mirror. Or one points while someone else does the steering wheel thing.
Took a while but wife and I have now decided we just tell the driver what direction and how close, until the driver askes otherwise.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
LOVE the yellow cord idea and the yellow rope is even better (and cheaper). I back up the rig with my beautiful bride directing. BUT when we back up the truck to the hitch my wife drives and I direct. Works best for us.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote