Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Pagosa Springs, CO to Steamboat Springs, CO

Hey all you travel gurus... We are attending the 4CU Plunge in Pagosa Rally in Pagosa Springs in July, then heading north to Steamboat Springs, CO for a DenCO Unit Rally there. We would like input on traveling from Pagosa to Steamboat. We have traveled the Million Dollar Hiway from Durnago through Silverton, and also the Dolores to Telluride route. We've also towed Wolf Pass north to South Fork and to the west from there.....

This trip we are thinking of taking 160 to South Fork and east to Del Norte to pick up the 285 to Saguache, then pick up 24 at Buena Vista and on north to Brekenridge at I-70...the east on I-70 to Route 9, then 9 north to Kremmling to pick up Hiway 40 to Steamboat Springs. Any issues with that route? And what about places we might want to stay along the way? We have from Sunday to Thursday to get there.

Also, once the Steamboat Rally is over, we are thinking of heading east to go through Rocky Mt National Park to get on the other side of the Rockies to head south on the I-25 corridor... Any pointers about camping in or around the Rocky Mt National Park would be appreciated as well ... or anywhere else from there south...

Once we get to NM we'll be in more familiar territory and will meander south through NM and finally back to AZ .. we've towed nearly every route possible through NM.

We are looking forward to this adventure! Thanks for your input and advice!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
It's all good route. You may want to check out the Great Sand Dunes near Del Norte.
If you continue up 24 to Leadville, Turquoise Lake is nearby. Dillion Resevoir near Breckenridge is also a nice spot with two great towns nearby. RMNP is a twisty crossing but you'll be fine with the Bambi. If you want to see some of Denver, Cherry Creek SP is a good stop. Lot of choices along the way!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for the tips, mojo... exactly the kind of info we are looking for... I figure we can take a couple of days to get to Steamboat and enjoy some of that area... RMNP is so close we really should do that, too.

We must be in a National Park mood ... just got back from a 2-week trip to SoUT, hitting 1 Airstream Rally, 7 National Parks/NMon/Rec Areas, 3 UT state parks, Monument Valley and of course a familiar drive through the Navajo Reservation to home turf. Great trip.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 05-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Pagosa Springs, CO to Steamboat Springs, CO

The Great Sand Dunes are a ways from Del Norte. They are north of Ft. Garland. If you want to see the Sand Dunes continue east to Alamosa then north to Salida on Hwy 17.
If you are thinking of towing your trailer over Trail Ridge road. You may want to do some research.
Hwy 9 is a good road. I have driven it a number of times with our 26' Argosy in tow.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The Great Sand Dunes are a ways from Del Norte. They are north of Ft. Garland. If you want to see the Sand Dunes continue east to Alamosa then north to Salida on Hwy 17.
Del Norte is where the the roads split and where you make your decision to head to Saguache, Sand Dunes or Alamosa. Going to Alamosa then to Sand Dunes is the long way.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If you are thinking of towing your trailer over Trail Ridge road. You may want to do some research.
Hwy 9 is a good road. I have driven it a number of times with our 26' Argosy in tow.
Hmmm.. Any more input on the Trail Ridge Road? I know it's high and winding. That in itself doesn't worry me, per se. I think the highest we have towed is around 10,000' and this is higher ... from what I am eating 8 miles over 11,000' and 12,120-ish at the highest ... We would certainly like to see it but don't want to do anything stupid either.

Anybody pulled their trailer over it recently?

Thanks.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 05-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Del Norte is where the the roads split and where you make your decision to head to Saguache, Sand Dunes or Alamosa. Going to Alamosa then to Sand Dunes is the long way.
Thanks again. We will no doubt be in the SoCO/NoNM area again relatively soon, so I think we may save the Great Dunes for another time... I know they are worth seeing and they are "on my list". I think I want keep moving in the general direction of Steamboat on this leg of the trip. We could even think of cutting back west from I-25 above Raton and Santa Fe/Taos so see that part of SoCO...

(I love maps and I can see them coming out more often as time marches on!)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 05-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Key Largo , Florida
We pulled our 30 ft trailer over the Trail Ridge last July with our F350 diesel: absolutely no problem. There was a very light sprinkling of snow overnight at the top which remained on the road in the shaded spots at least until mid morning. Check the weather but try not to miss this beautiful drive
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks, Martin!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 05-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
If you go north out of Buena Vista, you will go through Leadville, an ugly little town surrounded by the most beautiful scenery in Colorado. There are several nice Forest Service campgrounds on Twin Lakes, just south of Leadville. Lots to see and do in Leadville. Good campsites on Turquoise Lake. Head over Tennessee Pass (hardly feels like a pass going north) and you are in Eagle Park, where the 10th Mt. Division trained in WWII. We always enjoy Camp Hale Forest Service campground there. It's a nice drive from there to I-70 at Minturn. As you can tell, I love that country.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #11
hud

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
That's a good plan but watch for the road construction on hiway 9 from Green mountain reservoir to kremmling. Maybe do Leadville to Minturn (I-70) to Wilcott (131) to SBS.
Labaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Colorado

If you sign up for RVTripwizard it will put state, federal, big rv and small at your finger tips. It is an awesome website. Check it out. See you in Pagosa.
tburnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
If you want to camp in Rocky Mtn National Park book early. Might be tough to find any NPS sites or commercial RV parks with room, especially if it is a weekend. Your route is fine. There are some nice campgrounds as you come up the west side of the park that you might want to check for availability.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bremerton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
If you want to camp in Rocky Mtn National Park book early. Might be tough to find any NPS sites or commercial RV parks with room, especially if it is a weekend. Your route is fine. There are some nice campgrounds as you come up the west side of the park that you might want to check for availability.

What he said. We decided this week to make the plunge and plan a trek to RMNP in July and EVERYTHING is booked on all weekends June and July. We're scrambling to piece together lodging. Lesson learned.

2016 28FB Pendleton National Park Edition #028/100 "Meara"
2004 GMC Yukon XL 3/4 ton
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2016 Pendleton 28ft FB #028/100
WBCCI #1362
troie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks everyone, for the tips and pointers ... you rock!

Now to continue with the maps, the internet .... and plan, plan plan and ... hope we can chisel out a viable trek.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 06-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Timber Creek on the west side is walk-on only. nice campground.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote