Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boise , Idaho
Pacific Northwest to Canadian Rockies

Happy New Year!

My wife and I are in the middle of planning our first major trip in our 22FB Sport before starting a new-ish career. We'll be doing this through May and June. I'm hoping to draw on the collective wisdom of the group for advice on our various destinations.
1. We will be starting out from Boise, ID and headed to Sun River, OR as a basecamp to venture out to Bend and Crater Lake NP.

2. Next we will spend a few days near Astoria, OR before heading up to Anacortes, WA.

3. After that, we will set down in Squamish for more mountain biking and trips to Whistler.

4. We will make a stop overnight somewhere between Squamish and Banff (is it better to go through Kamloops or Kelowna?).

5. After a week or so in Banff NP and exploring Jasper NP, we'll head down to Waterton before re-entry into the US and a break in Coeur d'Alene on the way to the Route of the Hiawatha.

6. From there, some primitive camping in Western MT and then to visit family back in Idaho before going home.
https://goo.gl/maps/KuYy6LWoJ2E2 (google only allowed me so many stops on the route)

I hope you can help me with recommendations for specific camp sites to book or avoid as we start booking our trip. Also, any parts on the route we should avoid.

Our needs are fairly few:
  • pet friendly
  • >37' length
Our wants are many but none of these are deal breakers:
  • minimal crowds
  • ample space between sites
  • full hook ups (our sport's tanks aren't huge)
  • good views/access to hiking and/or mountain biking
  • you know: the peace and quiet all of us are looking for
We are fairly active more used to minimalist lightweight backpacking so this campground business is all a bit foreign to us but with a infant child, it's worth trying a new kind of adventure. We're not afraid of boondocking for a few days either.

All comments and recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Cheers!
Nothinghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Near Squamish you might consider Porteau Cove. Many sites are right on the water with nice views. Only about 15 minutes to Squamish and climbing sites.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...rkpgs/porteau/

If you want to do a downtown Vancouver stay there is only one place, Capillano RV Park.

If you haven't been in BC Wine country, the southern route will get you very near Penticton, worth a stop (unless you don't like wine).
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boise , Idaho
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know about the roads from Vancouver area over to Banff? Any routes or passes to avoid? I assume just stay on Trans-Canada as it looks like the main thoroughfare.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
While in the Coeur d Alene area you might want to look into Heyburn State Park. It's about 20 miles S of CDA, offers lake access, a swimming beach that you could probably have all to yourselves, and mere feet to the Trail of the Coeur d Alene's. From there it's about a 12 mile bike ride to Harrison where you can get the best quiche in the world at the Tin Cup.
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
And when making reservations at Heyburn, stay at Hawleys landing
Best of the three camp grounds we think

Let us know when you will be there and we will come visit
Only 50 min drive from here
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinghead View Post
Do you know about the roads from Vancouver area over to Banff? Any routes or passes to avoid? I assume just stay on Trans-Canada as it looks like the main thoroughfare.
Know them well. We travel regularly between BC and Alberta.

From Vancouver, take Hwy 1 to Hope. You could continue on Hwy 1 to Kamloops, but most would take Hwy 5, the Coquihalla. More direct, straighter. There are hills, but also lots of extra lanes. Fewer places to stop overnight until you get to Kamloops compared to Hwy 1 through the Fraser Canyon.

From Hwy 5, you could cut over from Merrit to the Okanagan Valley, which is a wine, lake, vacation hotspot. I wouldn't do that particular road, it is the most boring. If you want to include the Okanagan Valley, and it is a nice place, suggest you take the Hope Princeton, and come up through Keromeous and Penticton. If you do decide to include the Okanagan, come out onto Hwy 1 at Salmon Arm or Sicamous. Then, Hwy 1 to Banff.

There is an alternate route from Squamish to the Fraser Canyon, known as the Duffy Lake Road. Scenic, nice route, but a secondary road, and slower. Add another day. Maybe next time.

If I wanted to make time to Banff I would do the Coquihalla to Kamloops, and overnight between Kamloops and the Shuswap region. If I was to include the Okanagan in my trip, I would take the Hope Princeton and add a stop in the Okanagan Valley.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Delta , British Columbia
Hi

We are from British Columbia and have done the entire Oregon Coast which is beautiful, heading North to South is preferable so its easy to pull out but not a must. We did it the same way as you are proposing.

If you are going to stay at Porteau Cove make sure you reserve, I think it starts 4 mths prior to arrival date. The rules are changing this year. another great campsite in Squamish is Alice Lake it is a provincial campground so no water or sewer but it does have electricity. Again reserve if using this.

The back way from Whistler, to Pemberton Lillooet known as the Duffy Road is beautiful but be warned it can be pretty bumpy.

If you are going to hit up wine country you can take the Hope Princeton (Hwy #3) and continue up to Osyoos then Oliver its very nice there.

This year we did the entire Hwy 3 from Alberta to Hope BC heading east to west. There are some decent hills in there but very scenic. There is also a back way into Banff using Hwy 93 North from Cranbrook up to Radium Hot Springs and then over to Banff on Hwy 93 still. Its not the shortcut but it is beautiful. My sister takes that route almost every long weekend with their 24 ft mallard TT.

Many beautiful hikes around Lake Louise, the tea house is an easy hike with amazing views and a rewarding hut at the top.

If you can try and day trip up the Icefield Parkway to the Columbia Icefield. It is unlike anything I've ever seen.

If you want any further help with the biking in Squamish feel free to email me. My wife and I used to downhill there.

kkseabloom@hotmail.com

Kristien
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160802_164239_resized_1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	277646   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160802_210456_resized_4.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	277647  

Seabloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
If you want full hook-ups, I would recommend the Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court campground in Banff (a Parks Canada campground). Reservations would be useful as June progresses - we've camped there in late May without trouble although the campground was near full on a weekend.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/ban...ilercourt.aspx

As for Jasper, only the Whistlers campground offers some full hook-up sites. Depending upon when you expect to visit, reservations are recommended. We camped there last year in the latter part of June and it was full.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jas...o-camping.aspx
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Near Squamish, another vote for Porteau Cove, and we used to stay at Alice Lake years back. We liked it then, just haven't been there for some time.

If you want mountain biking, and may go to the Okanagan, consider doing the Kettle Valley rail trail, from McCulloch near Kelowna, or a portion of it. Lots of trestles. Consider Kelowna to Naramata or Penticton.

We also like Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff. And we enjoy taking the Gondola from near the Banff Sorings hotel.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
White Rock , British Columbia
Some very good advise here, but as a professional driver, I advise ALL RVers to avoid the Coquahalla. Yes, It is faster, but with long steep grades, (easily overheat brakes and or tow vehicle engine/transmission). There are high mountain passes with sudden weather changes, lots of trucks travelling at high speeds, and few places to safely pull over. I travel the Coq. often, and have seen way too many peoples vacations end early along this highway often with severe damage to their rigs. Take the more scenic HWY 1, take your time enjoy the drive and the scenery. Leave the Coq. for the big rigs and cars. You will have a great time!
bcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #11
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdog View Post
Some very good advise here, but as a professional driver, I advise ALL RVers to avoid the Coquihalla.
I suggest people take the Coquihalla, weather permitting, but always keep in mind that this is a mountain highway. Many crashes involve excessive speed, and while the road is safe, it encourages some to drive far too fast.

Interesting also that while the high mountain passes get all the press, the highest number of crashes is in the summer, not the winter, according to ICBC (2004-2013 data).

If we look at the fatal crash figures for the Coquihalla, we see that it is in the top ten for highways in BC. But it is worth looking at what others are in that top ten along this particular route as well:

#1: Revelstoke to Golden (both the Fraser Canyon and the Coquihalla lead to this one, and this number of fatal crashes is despite only 1/3 the traffic volume of some of the routes below)
#3: Merritt to Hope (Coquihalla, southern section)
#6 (tied): Surrey to Abbotsford (Hwy 1)
#6 (tied): Hope to Lillooet (Hwy 1, Fraser Canyon alternative to the Coquihalla)
#9 (tied): Kamloops to Sorrento (Hwy 1)
#9 (tied): Sorrento to Sicamous (Hwy 1)

I don't like the Fraser Canyon route as much because of the limited passing opportunities, leading to queueing and driver frustration. The same exists on Hwy 3, but there are more opportunities to pass there IMO.

The two attached photos are of the Coquihalla (Hwy 5) and Hwy 1 near Revelstoke. They are both good roads through mountain passes, but one has a lot more room. Unfortunately, some drivers use that increased space to travel faster than conditions allow.

Nobody should be scared off of driving these roads. They have half the fatal crashes now than they did 12 years earlier. The driver remains the most important element. Plan ahead, do vehicle checks at rest stops, take your time, and enjoy the trip.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Merritt Hope.png
Views:	73
Size:	515.0 KB
ID:	277692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Revelstoke Golden.png
Views:	110
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	277693  

Old 01-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boise , Idaho
I really appreciate this conversation. Myself, I have a bit of an overbearing super-ego and can't tolerate inconveniencing others so being able to do my thing whilst others pass by is ideal. It's very helpful to know the pros and cons of the various routes.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #13
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
If you would enjoy a stop in wine country, the area around Kelowna in the Okanagon Valley has a lot of wineries. There are a few around Sorrento, as well.

BC has a weather cam for all the major mountain passes in the province. http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayca...-Northern.html

Another thing to consider is whether you enjoy hot springs. BC has some nice ones, ranging from fully developed resorts to back-country.

http://www.hellobc.com/british-colum...t-springs.aspx

This will take you a bit out of your way, but something we do every so often is take the beautiful free 35-minute ferry ride across Kootenay Lake (Hy 3A) to Ainsworth Hot Springs.

If you want an RV park near Coeur d'Alene, our go-to place is usually the Blackwell Island resort.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Hi,

We travelled to Pemberton this summer. Awesome trip! We stayed at Nairn Falls which was a cool little campground. We left the trailer and went up the Duffy Lake Rd. You won't catch me with an RV on that trail. BC doesn't seem to bat an eye at 10% grades, but on the positive note you will find a brake and tire shop in even the smallest of towns should your rig need R&R.

As for Central Oregon, do a little digging and you can find some great campgrounds along the Cascade Lakes Hwy. Odell will be the most easily accessible.

When heading to Crater, the campground there is great. When towing, come in on the South Park Entrance, otherwise you get a nice look at steep cinder cone on both sides, one side a big bottomless lake and the other deep forrest; I liked these views best when I didn't have a trailer behind.

Check out this couples travels along HWY 97:

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-t...esert-highway/
Old 01-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
State Parks & biking

I may be biased but both Oregon and Washington have great SP systems, with the opportunity, perhaps the need, to make reservations. Sun River is fine but certainly more of a resort setting than the many campgrounds in the area (Forest Service has many nice ones too but few with much in the way of hookups).
Across the Columbia River from Astoria I would highly recommend the Cape Disappointment SP and the nearby Discovery Trail, an exceptional place to bike. And experience downtown Astoria on your bikes via their old railroad trail.
Near Anacortes the DEception Pass SP is great for views and some biking but it can be EXTREMLY LOUD at times due to the nearby Naval Air Station (we had to leave after one night).
Anacortes has a nice bike trail starting from downtown but you could consider riding your bikes onto the ferry to the San Juans and get off on Lopez and bike all day, relatively flat, scenic and bike friendly.
We are from Port Townsend, so have been to many of the spots in OR and WA that you are headed through, and "use our AS to bike" so if you have other questions please feel free to ask. (Tho We stopped to do the Hiawatha this year and got rained out!!)
Marc
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote