Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Pacific Coast questions

In September we are planning a trip along the coast from Marin County to as far as we can get in Oregon before it's time to come home to Colorado.

About 4 or 5 years ago we drove up the coast in an SUV. We noticed there were a lot of beaches and sandbars where rivers or creeks joined the ocean. There were often RV's, tents and cars on the sand. Are these a first come, first served thing, parks, public or private lands? One post I read somewhere made it sound like it was illegal, but not much enforced.

Any recommendations about places to stay, places to avoid along 1 and when we run out of 1, 101? Sometimes we may want just a place to stay, others, a place to look at the ocean. Are the state parks in Cal. and Oregon reasonably priced and do they have hookups? Hookups aren't a necessity every night, but it's nice to know what is in our future.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
My wife and I made part of this trip about 6 years ago in a popup. I remember most places had hook up for at least electric.. Starting on highway 1 here is the list of campgrounds we stayed at, all on the beach except for redwoods np.
You can look them all up online....

West-Union landing SB

Redwood NP

then into oregon

Humbug mtn SP, our favorite

Beach side state recreation site. OK
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
There are only a couple beaches in Oregon where the general public is allowed to drive out onto the sand. You can generally pitch a small tent out on the sand and spend the night if you wish and generally wont get hassled.

All of Oregon's beaches are public and open to everyone. There are some places where you wouldnt want to pitch a tent though. Such as Oregon Dunes national park. Might find a sand rail dropping out of the sky onto your tent at some point during the day. lol.

There are a ton of parks, both privately and publicly owned to stay at. I have found South Beach state park and Beverly Beach state park both to be very nice. I do not care for Ft. Stevens state park at all. It has always been a mosquito infested mess when i have been there.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Gene,

There are lots of state parks along 101 in Oregon. We stayed three nights at Bullard's Beach State Park just a few weeks ago and thought it was very nice. They do have sites with full hook-ups if you need them. Bullard's Beach is about an hour north of the CA/OR border near the town of Bandon.

-Kevin
COLORADO_CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
After watching all those programs on Discovery about how the northwest is going to have earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanos erupting, maybe we should stay home.

But, we're not. Keep the suggestions coming.

Gene
Old 08-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Not so much on that stuff, but a lot of rain, I grew up around Seattle...
Old 08-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
There is a private park right on the beach at Brookings. Turn left towards town. A state campground is just up the road. Have a good look at the State parks website.
South Beach was nice. Ft Stevens was ok in april.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Not so much on that stuff, but a lot of rain, I grew up around Seattle...
We know about rain in the NW. I grew in with less rain, but on the other coast, now we live about 40 miles from you and have similar TV's.

After I started this thread, I starting looking at the websites for Oregon and Cal state parks. The Oregon website is a lot easier to figure out, though you can't book through the site, but can call. The Cal site reservations are a private outfit that charges enough to make private campsites competitive. I'll keep noting positive and negative recommendations. Thanks for the input.

Gene
Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yeah, we do live close we will have to meet up one day...
Old 08-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Longview , Washington
oregon

Quite a few of the Oregon state parks offer online reservations, but some require a phone call and a few are first come/first served. September tends not to be bad for mosquitoes. I just stayed at Fort Stevens about 2 1/2 weeks ago and didn't have any problems with mosquitoes. Beverly Beach State Park was another great spot last year.
msmst25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
On your way up the coast, take some time to drive thru the "Avenue of the Giants". Its on 101. I think it is one of the most beautiful places in California.
Alumanutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:30 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Do not try this with an Airstream!

Thanks, nutz. We did that several years ago. My wife wanted to take a picture of me driving through a tree—there's one somewhere near there you can drive through. So we took our Sequoia, paid $3, and went in. That passage looked really small, so I waited until a fairly large truck went through. It may have been a Tundra which was just about the same size. So, I folded in the mirrors and started through with Barb and the camera waiting for me. I was about half way in and I noticed the passage wasn't absolutely straight. Also a bunch of guys were watching and talking as though they thought I'd never make it. So now it became a testosterone challenge. I wondered how Barb got me into this. I made the slight course correction to the left and crept through waiting to hear metal compressing. I made it, not sure I could do it twice with that SUV. All those guys looked a bit disappointed I hadn't gotten trapped.

I was very impressed with myself. I parked, got out, and waited with the guys for a fool with a big truck or SUV to try it and get stuck. No one did, bummer! Later I checked out the SUV. There were some faint scratch marks on one of the door handles on the right side and on the luggage rack. I wasn't sure whether I was a lucky fool or a hell of a driver.

The Avenue of the Giants was pretty impressive, but I'll never forget that tree. Barb sure gets me into some strange things! It was her idea to buy an Airstream too…

Also in Northern California is the "Lost Coast". It's a very windy road over the Coast Range to get in and out, but the isolation is wonderful. I have no idea if there's anyplace for an RV there and don't plan on going there this time anyway.

There are a lot of parks in the redwood area, some state and some federal. How are the campgrounds around there? I thinking camping amongst the redwoods would be cool. Having been along this coast before with an SUV, we're really looking forward to going back with the Safari.

Gene
Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Gene, my favorite place to stay there is "Richardson Grove State Park" It is one of the most beautiful place along the avenue, at least it was last time I was there. NUTZ
Alumanutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #14
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I grew up going to Richardson grove state park every year. Went up there recently to find that they closed down the little store and replaced it with a forestry display.Thats ok.. loved those ice cold ice creams on those hot summer nights. I agree its one the most beautiful places in calif.. but becareful as you negotiate your way through the campground. Its very tight and winding. You pretty much have to drive the rear wheels of the trailer around the redwood trees. On a long combination take it slow. The trees have plenty of evidence of people that took it a bit too fast.
Have a great trip! I live in Marin so i often think about the route your about to take..

Best regards. Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, south of Klamath, is worth a stop. I'd stay up in the meadow if camping, easier access. I always drive the old highway through Prairie Creek, rather than hwy 101. The Forest Service camps in Oregon are also nice. I like the Horsfall area, north of North Bend. Bluebill camp will be open through September. Wildmare camp is a horse camp, and a nice place to stay even if you don't have horses. Bluebill and Wildmare are on Bluebill Lake. They are a mile or less to the beach. Last October, I camped at Horsfall beach camp. I was the only one there. I like it because it is an OHV camp, just a big parking area, and perfect to get sun for solar panels. North of Florence is Sutton NFS camp. There are some electric hook-ups at Sutton. Tanks can be emptied at Washburne SP, at the dump to the left of hwy 101 .
Cape Blanco SP, Humbug SP, both by Port Orford, are less expensive parks. At Humbug, there are non-electric sites you could fit your trailer in, and pay less. Tugman SP, north of North Bend, is the last inexpensive SP in Oregon, around 16/night.
The forest service camps are half off if you have a gold pass. The NFS camp north of Yachats also has electric hook-ups.
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
what a neat thread, but its giving me ideas............

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
Just above Marin on Hwy 128 above Philo is Hendy Woods State Park (no hookups). We were just there recently. It's right in the Andersen Valley wine region, and it's gorgeous. Stop by the Navarro Winery, just above the state park on hwy 128. Incredible place of beauty.

The sites are nice and all pretty much full shade under redwoods, firs and other hardwoods. We had a great site, #76, and #77 next door would be good for a bit longer rig. We're 41' tip to toe truck to tail.

One down side was that there was some propane canon firing at the apple farm and/or vineyard nearby (to keep birds away). It wasn't too bad for humans, but my dog went bonkers. It quit around 6:30 pm.

From Hendy Woods, it's about 25 miles to the coast hwy ( Hwy 1 ) and then about another 15 miles to Mendocino.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8230003.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	66725  
Old 09-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #18
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hendy woods is a nice campground. I think they have that Hermit trail off that park.. he was in hiding for all those years?! Hard to believe that place is back in there from the drive up. Its like a little forest all by itself. Great pics.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Stillwater Cove Regional Park. 16 miles above Jenner on highway 1. No hookups but quiet and beautiful. VERY clean park and restrooms. No hookups but there is a dump station. No cell service, WiFi or boob tube hookups. I loved this place!
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
Gene,
You are getting some great suggestion and Coastal Me has my backyard pretty well nailed down. The name of the RV park at the Port of Brookings Harbor is just that. It does have a front row almost right on the beach. If you want front row and far fewer people, then go for Arizona Beach north of Gold Beach. The State has just purchased it as a state park and camping is right on the beach. Near Bandon, Bullards Beach is another winning SP and make sure you take in the docent offered activity at the nearby Bandon National Wildlife Refuge. Coastal Me likes Tugman and so do we but we also like Honeyman SP just south of Florence. The "H" loops has some nice deep spots that you wouldn't have to unhook to park your truck.

How come nobody mentioned food: Dan's Bistro at the port in Crescent City; Salty Dog Espresso at the Brooking Harbor Port for good coffee & bakery stuff; Patty's Rollin' In Dough Cafe just north of Gold Beach in Wedderburn; great hamburgers and fish at the Crazy Norwegian in Port Orford (aka Port Awful) - watch out for the radar car in that town - they mean 30 and it's hard to do when you are coming downhill into town; The little market in Langlois makes great sandwiches; in old town Bandon try Wild Rose Bistro; if it's clam chowder you seek look for any of the Mo's (beginning in Florence).

Oh and have a great time - it's hard not to this time of year.

Bill
Taj MaHaul is offline   Reply With Quote