Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #41
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I think a lot depends upon where you camp. I tried an outdoor mat, but gave up on it when it kept getting wet and full of dirty pine needles. Now we keep the mats on the inside, on top of the vinyl flooring to protect it more directly, as it has been prone to scratch & collect dirt.

Will check out your recommendations, if we have some leisure in a place that sells these things.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
We've been using a large piece of heavy duty canvas. I serged(sewed) two lengths together to make one large mat. We can fold it up and store it in a box in the AS "trunk". Last time out it was windy and got filthy. Brought it home and hosed it on the bushes. Let it dry and folded it up nice and small again .

We also use a rubber boot mat with textured wiping area and a rim. It's been working great.
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Costco sells one of the nicer looking, to my taste, outdoor mats in various sizes. Free shipping too, at least up here in Canada.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
astroturf

we bought astroturf at homedepot. in the hotter states you can buy actual fake grass that people put down on lawns. it is softer but thicker and harder to stow. we have an 8'x12' square that we can hose off and roll up. we avoid the rubber backed stuff. it is inexpensive, easy to clean and stow. we put it in the TV bed now but I am going to weld an additional tube under the TT to stow it. drill a couple of drain holes and it can even be put away wet.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #45
Rivet Master

As I said before, our group tried everything......

Astroturf is almost OK if it doesn't rain, and the ground is dry. They don't drain or dry well, harder to clean, and don't lay flat as well. If you like astroturf, it is most likely because you haven't used one of the poly mats. But yeah....the astroturf is cheaper, and a little easier to move IF they are DRY.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #46
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
We usually attempt an easy clean of our typical, poly-woven rug by sweeping first, folding lengthwise with a sweep each fold, roll using the campsite table, stand on end for a few minutes if wet, and then roll plus use a stretchy belt around the waist. However dirty it remains, no sweat, as I made a Sunbrella fabric bag from boat cover remnants which holds all remaining debris until it comes out again. The bag goes in the shower stall as we hit the road. Invert the bag and shake between uses - minimal work.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have very light colored berber in A.S. always use poly patio mat out side pur. on ebay 8/18ft., we do not take shoes off in trailer carpet is 6 yrs. old never cleaned yet does not need, not dirty wife very fussy about dirty carpet. Camped every kind cement grass gravel sand etc.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
That poly-weave rug need a freshening up? Toss it in the pool. Chlorinated water might fade it a bit but it sure does get 'em clean.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
I got the ZipDee Ultimat a few months ago and it's great. The price is good too. I can't seem to see it on their site right now, perhaps they have sold out but you could call.
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote