Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I know I'm out of the mainstream on this. However, it seems to me that is so much easier and less stress just to drive the speed limit or under.

Yeah, I'm probably that old fart driving the speed limit and keeping you from getting to your appointment on time because you failed to allow enough time in the first place.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
In the 1960s in De. you had to follow the trooper to the JP and pay up. Sal.
I remember that, Sal. I was just learning to drive, was a bit heavy-footed, and had quite a few points. After you got ten points, the DMV would call you in for the interview. That was back when insurance wasn't mandatory.
Good times.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #43
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Ken - The posted speed signs are just suggested speeds for old guys like you.

And me.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I know I'm out of the mainstream on this. However, it seems to me that is so much easier and less stress just to drive the speed limit or under.

Yeah, I'm probably that old fart driving the speed limit and keeping you from getting to your appointment on time because you failed to allow enough time in the first place.

Ken
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
San Diego , California
Driving with out-of-state plates is a crime in UT.

In addition to issuing warrants which might pop up in other states on a slow day, they can refer the fine to a collection agency which would be annoying and might affect your credit score...you can't get a vehicle or home loan with any outstanding debt on your credit report.
merlinj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
Absolutely pay the ticket .... However when I lived in Ohio, I was stopped in New York by a famous or infamous Sheriff who took exception to my driving 14 mph over the speed limit...As he handed me the ticket he informed me that I would be hearing from the DMV in Ohio....AH yes, I paid the fine and I did hear from the Ohio DMV who informed me that they had heard that I was a naughty boy in New York...BUT since I was only going 14 mph over I was not considered a BAD boy and they were NOT going to give me any points on my Driver Lic....So much for the sheriff.... But I do cringe every time I drive over that nice smooth 1 foot wide streach if interstate that I bought for the s
state of New York
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Even though I think it's a scam they couldn't find a record of my ticket, then spring it on me 30 days later... I'm actually coming out ahead... since he clocked me 88 mph.

Too bad.. figured I didn't need my Valentine after I sold the NSX. Probably wouldn't have helped anyway, since it was laser, and there wasn't another soul for miles at o-dark-thirty...
little did I know, the 'burb cruises like butter at those speeds.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:

Ken
Yes speed limit is OK, But under on a two line highway for 11 miles is just rude.... and then hit the four lane highway and speed up over the speed limit.

sometimes I want g*** behind my headlights..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
One of the downsides of not paying the ticket is that if you later get stopped on Federal property, they can and will jail you if your license check comes back with a bench warrant. Now you are in Federal detention while you try to deal with your problem...

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Yes speed limit is OK, But under on a two line highway for 11 miles is just rude.... and then hit the four lane highway and speed up over the speed limit.

sometimes I want g*** behind my headlights..
Jason,
You should not tell people where you tie your goat..

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Jason,
You should not tell people where you tie your goat..

Ken
You can have my goat My *** you will have to pry from my ,,,,,, no never mind, mine won't be the dead hand

No, I'm usually pretty good with people. But driving in NYC for 3 year tainted me. One hand on the horn and one flipping the bird. And I can fit the front on the Sequioa in a 3-4 ft gap between cars. (with the AS in tow ) If needed. But living in the country is kinda nice. No traffic and not to many rude people

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Friend of mine got a ticket on the Blue Ridge Parkway, federal, tucked itin her tank bag on her BMW and forgot about it. Sometime later she was reminded when stopped in New York and her license was checked. Never would talk about what happened, she just suggested the rest of us not forget to pay up. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I got one in Oregon, was going to fight it by mail...officers chicken scratch looked like a later date, meanwhile got a notice from the state saying that ticket went to collections and all my rights to fight were lost...added fees converted a $145 ticket into a $750 ticket and a suspension of my California DL. Then my insurance policy would not renew because I was ” unlicensed”. It took months of legal prep, fees and time. Finally got a court date, drove 400 miles, paid for a hotel room and lost the case on its merits...but won on a technicality. My advice...pay it.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #53

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinj79 View Post
Driving with out-of-state plates is a crime in UT.

In addition to issuing warrants which might pop up in other states on a slow day, they can refer the fine to a collection agency which would be annoying and might affect your credit score...you can't get a vehicle or home loan with any outstanding debt on your credit report.
I think one should definitely contest or pay traffic tickets (as appropriate) but I would definitely call them on this sort of crap. A fine is NOT a debt, and I suspect the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act would prevent them from hitting your credit over it. If a debt collection agency attempts to do so, there are federal regulations you can probably use under the FDCPA to get it taken off. You still have to pay for your fines, but you should be able to keep them off your credit report.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
"Why You Should Fight an Out-of-State Speeding Ticket"

Why You Should Fight an Out-of-State Speeding Ticket | The Free Thought Project
Old 10-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Not sure if you have a concealed carry permit, but failure to pay any fine which results from an LEO ticket they can pull your permit. I have a UT permit and part of securing it was a class where this was mentioned by the instructor. I have multiple permits and they all basically say this or something similar.

So, I pay all tickets right away, not questions asked, figure if I can't talk my way out of it at the time I've lost anyway.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Love, love, love AWCHEIF's response in #9

The OP and many of the responses point out a troubling trend in our society. Laws exist for everyone else and not for me. A disrespect for the system, the courts, law enforcement will challenge our society.

The "solution" was to get a radar detector. Really? I would outlaw all of these because the ONLY reason they exist is to break the law. It is indeed a scary place when our roads are filled with angry individuals who have no respect for the laws and law enforcement.

If this happened to me, I would send in the fine for the ticket with a letter written very respectfully explaining why I don't think I should have to pay the penalty. If they persist, I would pay that too and be done with it.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
If everyone contested a traffic violation, and showed up in court, the cops would not be on the street writing tickets, the courts would be jammed packed, cases would stack up, and if everyone one refused to pay, the jails would not be able to hold everyone, so at some point it could be years before you'd be scheduled to appear in court. Let chaos rein supreme! The cops are notorious for NOT showing up in court. Of course you could just pay the ticket.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
If everyone contested a traffic violation, and showed up in court, the cops would not be on the street writing tickets, the courts would be jammed packed, cases would stack up, and if everyone one refused to pay, the jails would not be able to hold everyone, so at some point it could be years before you'd be scheduled to appear in court. Let chaos rein supreme! The cops are notorious for NOT showing up in court. Of course you could just pay the ticket.
Or we could obey the speed limit and get the exact same effect...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
My philosophy on speeding tickets is simple. If you're guilty put your big boy pants on and take your medicine. I hate to hear whining about how unfair it was when they were speeding. Pay the ticket and move on. When someone receives a ticket it's probably not the first time they exceeded the speed limit. I've been stopped twice. My biggest concern is how to keep it off insurance.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Not sure if you have a concealed carry permit, but failure to pay any fine which results from an LEO ticket they can pull your permit. I have a UT permit and part of securing it was a class where this was mentioned by the instructor. I have multiple permits and they all basically say this or something similar.

So, I pay all tickets right away, not questions asked, figure if I can't talk my way out of it at the time I've lost anyway.
This is a good point.. however, it wouldn't necessarily get ones CPL revoked.

Not paying a traffic violation will get you either a suspended DL, or a bench warrant. This information is supposed to be relayed to the gun board, who then issues a CPL suspension.

From what I understand, the gun board uses MCL 28.425(b) to determine whether a suspension is issued. Some misdemeanor traffic violations that preclude a person from a CPL are: 'leaving scene of injury accident', 'operating while intoxicated', 'reckless driving'

Having a suspended license wouldn't justify a suspending/revoking CPL but, "operating while license suspended or revoked" would.