Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

H , North Carolina
Our first Supercharger stop worked out in our favor

The Mooresville, NC Tesla Supercharger was a great option for refueling, especially because no one else was using it at the time. We got about 10 min of juice and were back on our way. It was at a grocery store with plenty of maneuverability (back where the big rigs load & unload).

We stayed with the caravan. If anyone had needed the spots we would’ve moved. If more people had been there when we arrived we would’ve unhooked a few feet down the lot and refueled normally.

Two thumbs up.

2020 Tesla Model X p100 with upgraded hitch, towing a 2022 23FB Globetrotter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A035F9D3-EEE4-4F67-A819-C303FE0034CF.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	412456  
BryanC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Nice, that’s my number one concern is being able to fit EV with the airstream attached while in tow.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 02:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Very nice! I do think it makes the most sense to install chargers in the parking lots of stores, restaurants, etc. rather than dedicated charge-only stations, that way you can shop, eat, etc. whilst you top-off. I bet the fast-rising gas prices also have you happier you purchased your Tesla.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I read it can take up to 45 minutes to fully charge a electric vehicle battery. Most of us have had to wait for a gas pump to open up while the vehicle at the gas pump is unoccupied and the driver is in the store. I think having a convenient "distraction" like a store or restaurant to visit while your EV is charging will magnify a back up of EVs waiting for a charge. It will take a lot of charging stations to satisfy the demand for vehicle charging in the near future it seems to me.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:30 PM   #5
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I read it can take up to 45 minutes to fully charge a electric vehicle battery. Most of us have had to wait for a gas pump to open up while the vehicle at the gas pump is unoccupied and the driver is in the store. I think having a convenient "distraction" like a store or restaurant to visit while your EV is charging will magnify a back up of EVs waiting for a charge. It will take a lot of charging stations to satisfy the demand for vehicle charging in the near future it seems to me.

David
People don’t tend to leave their EVs blocking charging bays. At Superchargers, idling fees (per minute) help ensure that. We get a smartphone message automatically with a five minute warning, and then a charge completed warning.

That doesn’t work for ICE vehicles blocking charging stalls, but a combination of bylaws and tow trucks solves that,

When Superchargers are busy, we get a message on the dash when we connect that due to demand, our battery charge limit has been adjusted to 80%. That is typically when the charge rate slows down, past that. We can always adjust it back to 90 or 100%, it is up to us, but it makes us aware that people are waiting. Also, the vehicle tells us how many charge cables are free or occupied at nearby chargers.

Once you experience queue management at a charge station it makes you realize that gas stations don’t do any of these things. Gas pumps even let you drive away with the nozzle in the vehicle. Compared to EV charging, which is like a GPS map with automatic routing and real time traffic updates, gas stations are like a paper map from AAA.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I think the big question for most of us that would like to make the switch to towing with an EV is what range are you getting between charges?

Is most of your travels on relatively flat or are you going up into the mountains?

thanks

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I admit I would have range anxiety. I read a road test of the new Riven electric pickup in Car and Driver magazine. They connected a 8000 pound trailer and pulled it at 65 mph until the battery was way low. They reported something like 110 miles. This test was in Michigan. The truck of course will go 250 miles with no loads.

It takes a lot of power to pull a heavy trailer.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
First time I have seen this in park rules.
EV? so sad too bad, no charging from pedestal. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220228_154811.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	412566

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
First time I have seen this in park rules.
EV? so sad too bad, no charging from pedestal. Attachment 412566

Several states have enacted right to charge legislation requiring property owners and managers to install vehicle charging on request. These are aimed at residential properties such as condos, but some states are including commercial properties and rentals. It will be interesting to see if these laws get extended to places such as campgrounds.

The laws don’t require that charging be free, but they do block the passage of regulations that prohibit vehicle charging.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:06 PM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
I think the big question for most of us that would like to make the switch to towing with an EV is what range are you getting between charges?

Is most of your travels on relatively flat or are you going up into the mountains?

thanks
Most tests are indicating a 50% range impact. The longest range BEVs right now are around 500 km/300 mile not towing.

Hills don’t seem to matter much. You go up, but you also go down, and recover some of the energy.

Travel speed matters a lot. The heavy trailer isn’t as much of an impact as the aerodynamic hit.

The base efficiency of the tow vehicle matters. The Rivian, and Hummer, are two of the least efficient electric vehicles available. They are heavy, with big batteries, but need those big batteries just to move themselves. Those large batteries also take longer to charge every time.

Hence the interest in the EStream. Testing showed a prototype travelling 500 km, towing, in the Alps. That was the same range as the base tow vehicle they used, an Audi EV, when not towing.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Several states have enacted right to charge legislation requiring property owners and managers to install vehicle charging on request. These are aimed at residential properties such as condos, but some states are including commercial properties and rentals. It will be interesting to see if these laws get extended to places such as campgrounds.

The laws don’t require that charging be free, but they do block the passage of regulations that prohibit vehicle charging.
This is at Maricopa county regional parks

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-28-2022, 06:00 PM   #12
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:

It's going to be very difficult to force businesses to offer a service to customers, especially after the fact once the business is built and operating.

Also going to be difficult to require something like this if the infrastructure isn't there yet to support the charging stations.

It would make sense for residential properties, but the same private property vs. public good argument will be made, and I'm curious to see how this conflict plays out. For condos it might be slightly different, and I can laws like this being used to stop condo boards and HOAs from prohibiting the installation of a charging station at your own parking spot. But, I don't see how it will work to require rental property owners to make the investment unless the mandate comes with money. And even then...
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:22 PM   #13
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
It's going to be very difficult to force businesses to offer a service to customers, especially after the fact once the business is built and operating.

Also going to be difficult to require something like this if the infrastructure isn't there yet to support the charging stations.

It would make sense for residential properties, but the same private property vs. public good argument will be made, and I'm curious to see how this conflict plays out. For condos it might be slightly different, and I can laws like this being used to stop condo boards and HOAs from prohibiting the installation of a charging station at your own parking spot. But, I don't see how it will work to require rental property owners to make the investment unless the mandate comes with money. And even then...
The mandates that extend to businesses and rental properties appear to have overcome that hurdle.

And in this particular case, the infrastructure is already there. There is a power point. It just has a sign on it limiting what can be plugged into it.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:10 AM   #14
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
The mandates that extend to businesses and rental properties appear to have overcome that hurdle.

And in this particular case, the infrastructure is already there. There is a power point. It just has a sign on it limiting what can be plugged into it.
Are you talking about California or do you really think that businesses everywhere are being required to do this?

Infrastructure? I was talking about places like campgrounds out in the back country which barely have enough power to service their current current needs.

In most places zoning laws and building codes are not retroactive. Once you finish building and get your occupancy permit you are grandfathered against future changes, with rare exceptions for health or safety issues. The ADA mandated changes in physical layouts, and those changes took decades and many property owners still operate under exemptions. I can't see a charging station mandate moving any faster.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #15
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Are you talking about California or do you really think that businesses everywhere are being required to do this?

Infrastructure? I was talking about places like campgrounds out in the back country which barely have enough power to service their current current needs.

In most places zoning laws and building codes are not retroactive. Once you finish building and get your occupancy permit you are grandfathered against future changes, with rare exceptions for health or safety issues. The ADA mandated changes in physical layouts, and those changes took decades and many property owners still operate under exemptions. I can't see a charging station mandate moving any faster.
I think that the laws are changing, and will continue to evolve. We are not there yet. But states including CA, OR, CO, FL, VA, NY, NJ, MD, and HI have laws in place already. At least two of those, CA and FL, cover businesses and not just residential. I expect the shift will continue.

This topic started because of a photo of a sign at an electrical outlet that limited what could be plugged in. The infrastructure is already there. Seen against the backdrop of expanding right to charge legislation, I don’t think those signs meet the spirit if the laws. If left in place, in a few years they will effectively be banning campers with newer vehicles.

Our building codes and development permits apply to improvements, not just original builds. Take out a permit, make sure you meet the new codes.

The right to charge legislation doesn’t generally mandate the building of charge points. It forbids banning them, meaning that property owners and managers need to be responsive to requests from strata owners, tenants and leasees. Not campers. But do you see where it could go over time?
Old 03-01-2022, 10:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would doubt that requirements will, any time soon, be such that sites will have to be upgraded. I can see that proper charging station will have to be in place where service to the campground can be upgraded. I think this will be challenged in some states for privately owned campgrounds.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
What was the cost to charge?
Cost / mile?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #18
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I would doubt that requirements will, any time soon, be such that sites will have to be upgraded. I can see that proper charging station will have to be in place where service to the campground can be upgraded. I think this will be challenged in some states for privately owned campgrounds.

I would agree that it would make more sense for a charging supplier to have an agreement to put fast chargers in a campground or park, not in each campsite, but at a central location. If we look at other businesses/parks putting in charging, it is not the operator who is building the charging stall, they are simply providing the space to the charging station operator.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:04 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Talking

That is a nice looking rig! I, personally, can’t imagine charging the vehicle in a NP. I guess you could run the generator during the regular generator hours.

Anyway, I admire your rig.
xpcdoojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpcdoojk View Post
I guess you could run the generator during the regular generator hours.
Can an EV be charged from a generator? Seems they need more Oomph.

For those who have EV's, how do you pay at the charging station? Tesla card? Apple Pay? Prepaid volt card?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote