Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Ours is

From the Service Manager, at the nearest Airstream dealer to our home, just this last month said "Our service folks are saying your trailer is the most beautiful (older) Airstream they have ever worked on". "Thank you", I said, "and I agree". I replied.

Now, for my sister's camper (1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0). Here is what she heard from folks at a state highway rest stop: "Wowww! What kind of camper is that? It looks like an Airstream, only painted!" And "I can't believe it is 30 years old!"

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:52 AM   #82
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
This past weekend we checked into a KOA campground after the office had closed. When I stopped to get the map and site assignment attached to the door, the manager/operator apparently was watching on the security monitor. It had rained on us earlier during the drive up and the trailer was wet. When I went into the office to check in the next morning the manager confirmed the site number and said, "Man, last night when you checked in I looked at the monitor and that beauty was just sparkling under the lights in the parking lot. That's the most beautiful trailer I believe I've ever seen." Of course I thanked him and then he asked if I minded if he dropped by to have a look inside. I was too proud to show it off.

Ours is a 30' Bunk house and he remarked that he had three SOB bunk houses when his daughters were growing up. After he left my wife and I talked about how he had to replace his SOB bunk house twice while raising his daughters and our Airstream bunkhouse would last not only the growing up years of our kids, but we could leave it to our kids for them to share to take our grand-kids camping in...of course that is assuming that there will be vehicles capable of towing it in the future and that our kids will be able to afford the gas/diesel to take it out on trips if adequate tow vehicles are available!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Whenever we go somewhere, we can't get out of our own little town without someone approaching the rig. I'll pull in for gas or to check the tire pressure and someone will come over, usually trying to figure out a way to get inside for a peek without sounding too pushy.

One woman said, "I saw a show about those trailers on T.V. There are a bunch of people who own them and they get together and have these big campouts." Huh? I wonder who she was talking about?

The last time out, a guy I've known for forty years came over and said "That's an old one. They don't make them anymore, do they?"

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #84
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
HI the communiy;
Here is a nice and innocent comment/question from a child about our trailer in a campground in FRANCE :
" Is it you who have build yourself this caravan ????? "
We laught about that too much... as I wonder if I 've replied...

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Valley Springs , California
Several years ago we built a large teardrop from scratch. It is based on plans from Popular Mechanics Magazine from 1940. The neighbors loved watching us create something from nothing. After it was done they were always asking why we never had the garage open on weekends anymore.

A couple years ago we purchased the '48 and it started all over again. We parked it out front while we had the single garage door opening raised so it could go inside. Our next door neighbors kept their blinds closed the entire week. We've subjected them to grinding, drilling, air compressor noise......
Next comes riveting - Oh Boy!

Camping with the teardrop is real fun. Lot's of comments, especially when we tell them it was built from scratch. Most people can't get it through their heads.

One year on a Yosemite trip we came out of the tunnel at the vista point that has been on every post card known to man and found the lot full of Japanese tourists. Before getting back on their bus they must have burned several rolls of film on our little trailer. Later that day we couldn't even back into our campsite as people had congregated behind us wanting to take a tour.

Can't wait to get the AS on the road!
48_liner is offline   Reply With Quote