Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2002, 06:57 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
While returning from points south to New England this past summer, we must drive over the Hudson River. On this occasion, we used the Tappen Zee Bridge, which I might add, usually has traffic stopped for twenty or thirty minutes to get through the toll booths. When our turn arrived to burn up the greater part of ten dollars, the toll booth operater stopped us and said.

"I've been at this job for over twenty years, and every time I see an airstream in my booth, I stop them and congratulate them on their beautiful piece of americana. Airstream are simply the most beautiful vehicles on the road."

I smiled, thanked him and went on my way. Somehow the traffic, the wait, and the cost didn't matter any more.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:32 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Everyone wants a tour of the interior. Heard most of the same comments. This past weekend, at the check-in booth at Strawbwrry Park Campground, college-age girl stated "that's the coolest trailer I've seen-What is it? Many thumbs up while traveling on the highway.Cars slow down to see it when parked at home,we've gotten used to it.And yes, every neighbor has been through it.
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Exclamation

I heard a guy walking by mumble to his wife..."sure hope his door lock dosen't break"
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:48 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

When I pulled mine into my driveway, my neighbor came out and said that he had been planning on buying one. After talking for about 1/2 an hour, I asked what he was planning on pulling it with. He pointed at his '89 Honda Civic
PatCrusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:15 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Exclamation Kidding

You gotta be kidding...lol
I heard that, you're getting rain in Virginia~!
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 06:43 AM   #26
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
68 Overlander

That was GREAT!!!!!!!

I am still laughing.

Doorlock break,, you funny guy!!!!!!!!

Somebody needs to get it over to Overlander.

I say we all chip in and buy his AS before he goes into cardiac arrest or blows a vein in his forehead.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:53 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
"It looks like a Propane Tank with wheels"
"Tell me again why you sold your 1972 model and bought a 1956 one?"
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:11 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
comments

I've heard most of the above, but my favorite heard several times, and from surprisingly young people: "Wow! Just like Lucy and Ricky and Fred and Ethel in that movie!" (The Long, Long Trailer) Which tells me that Lucille Ball is another American icon.

I don't suppose John Wayne ever appeared in a movie next to an A/S

Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 10:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Talking

If you really want to baffle them try pulling up with an Argosy in tow. Especially mine which I had sprayed silver. They say it looks like an Airstream but it says Argosy, I tell them it is a "love child" conceived during the swinging 70's
Old 10-14-2002, 10:34 PM   #30
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
68 Overlander, that's got to be the best one yet!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:16 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
They look and smile,then how old is it? they last forever, how much did it cost you,then they turkey neck and try to see in it,then a tour starts, Hey,,,,, they are cool. Scott
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:35 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
My favorite is when people think my trailer is new and when I tell them it's 47 years old they just can't believe it has lasted that long. Even had a young couple get into an argument when the young husband told his wife "Hope you look that good when you turn 47".
Ernie
'58 Traveler 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
When we camped at Leo Carrillo SP in CA, near LA, I heard some inner-city kids say, "Look at that! Cool, it must be bullet proof!"
Old 02-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I guess the reaction to my Airstreams has been poor at best.
I got a note in the mail from the village that told me "I would recomend that you get rid of the trailer with the blue tarp so people don't think you running a trailer repair business." Other than that, I have gotten a few offers to buy them and one reaction that was on par for the course. "Do they still make those???"
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Hey Tedd,

Tell ya what - I'll park my pile o' junk in your driveway, rip out all the moldy furniture, begin the frame-off restoration, and we'll really show the village of Lisle what a trailer repair business looks like!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
There were about 20 of us in a caravan heading to the Vermont International, some truckers passed and said we looked like caravan of pop-up toasters.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #37
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
Almost everywhere I go, people just sit and look at it.. Some sigh wistfully and go off, with starry eyes.

That is beautiful is the most common verbal response, and occasionally "How did you get that thing, in there...??" when I back it casually into a space they could not get their 18ft SOB into.

I have often been asked who old it is, with a few people telling me it must be brand new.

Theo
Old 02-13-2005, 01:28 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Post The funniest thing happened to me in Shreveport!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
What kind of comments do you folks hear on your Airstreams? We don't see many in our travels, and we are usually the only one in the campground. It's fun to listen to peoples comments as they walk by ours.

What comments can the rest of you share?
Pick,
I had the funniest thing happen when we were down in Shreveport, LA. back last May. Your post just jogged my memory of it and I would like to share it with the forum.

I had a 24 foot 1976 Argosy that I just recently sold to my cousin. Before selling it we took one last trip down to the GM plant in Shreveport. I teach GM electricians so I get to travel for work. I usually fly but since our girls are young enough to miss pre-school I will take them on trips with me. It makes for a cheap trip when the corporation will pick up my mileage, per-diem and camping fees. It is cheaper for them in the long run.

This particular Argosy was one that I had painted with an epoxy-resin type paint about 6 years ago. No matter what it went through nothing would really stick to the paint on that thing. It always looked clean.

I was out walking my dog after I got back from the plant one evening and an older gentleman came up to me and asked, "Are you the one with the painted Airstream?".
I replied, "It's an Argosy that was made by Airstream." He asked, "When did they start making them again? I thought they hadn't made those in years?".
I then informed him, "That trailer is a 1976. It's 28 years old."
Imagine his surprise!
He was blown over. He asked me how much I had invested in the trailer to make it look so good. I pointed to his shiny new motorhome and said, "A lot less then buying one of those."
He laughed and then wanted to know if he could take a peek at it.
He could not believe that most everything in it was original. The only thing I really replaced were the tires, carpet and the water heater. Other than my regular replacement of maintenance items.
When I got back to the campgrounds the following evening my wife looked beat. I thought that maybe it was the heat and having two small kids to look after. She told me that the kids were no trouble at all. The problem was the constant supply of folks wanting to look at the trailer. The gentleman from the night before took me literally when I told him to feel free to bring his friends along to look at it if they wish.
We were thrilled that so many people are fascinated by these mechanical marvels on wheels.
Next time we will probably sell tickets. :-)
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:35 AM   #39
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Is it a DIY thing ??
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:18 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
, Texas
It's what they didn't say

A few months back, we were just pulling out of our development with our 2004 28' CCD and proceeded down a surface street, when we saw about 20 teens playing volleyball. As we drew closer, they all seemed to turn at once and gave us a huge thumbs up. While I was convinced that their adulation was meant for me, my wife duly noted that it was the big silver thing charging behind us... right. I suppose the Simple Life had something to do with their perspective.

On another occasion from this past summer, a guy from Sweden stopped by and asked if he could take some pictures. We obliged and when he poked his head inside the CCD, he got a big smile and said that this was "the bomb". He said people in Europe would love it.
Towhead is offline   Reply With Quote