Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Oregon recommendations?

We have just arrived into Oregon and are currently hanging out at a great state park south of Crater Lake (Joseph H. Stewart S.P.). We plan to head to Bend and then back over to the coast before moving on to Portland. Any recommendations for must-see sites?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
In about 25 miles while going west from Bend on highway 20, be sure to take a look at the town of Sisters. Cute town with a lot of the arts represented and it is also a major player in the quilting community. Continue to the coast on hwy 20 and you land in Newport. Great WPA era bridge at the ocean inlet and a nice fisherman's warf. Five miles north of Newport on the coast highway 101 is Beverly Beach SP where you camp in the trees and have access to a broad sandy beach. Enjoy your vacation.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
One if the most beautiful drives in the country is the Oregon Coast. You have come a long way, due yourself a favor and make the drive.

From Crater Lake, you can drive around the west side of the lake and catch Hwy 138 to Roseburg. Then go north in I5, and catch 138 again, heading northwest to Hwy 38 and Reedsport. Heading north on 101 from Reedsport there are many small, picturesque towns including, but not limited to, Newport, Depoe Bay, Cannon Beach, Seaside (the end of the Lewis and Clark trail). You can go on the Astoria which is a nice town as well. The best way back to Portland is to take Hwy 26 east from 101 , between Cannon Beach and Seaside, east back to Portland. 26 is an easy road. Taking 30 from Astoria to Portland is a long, slow, crowded full of stops, not nice way to tow. We have towed both 26 and the Reedsport-I5 38 several times.

Plan a couple of days.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Visiting Bend OR

Lani,
I agree with the post above. Don't miss the coast. We vacation there every year. Losts of uncrowded beaches. My wife and I are going to an art show in downtown Bend next weekend. We are staying in LaPine State park Thursday thru Monday. Look us up at the park or show. JUDYDEAMART.COM

Any VINTAGE Airstreams in Bend?? I would like to meet with you too.

Dick
DeamArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
We have just arrived into Oregon and are currently hanging out at a great state park south of Crater Lake (Joseph H. Stewart S.P.). We plan to head to Bend and then back over to the coast before moving on to Portland. Any recommendations for must-see sites?

Thanks!
The coast is not to be missed. There are some beautiful places in eastern Oregon. Joseph/Wallowa Lake and the surrounding area are spectacular.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Blacksburg , Virginia
Thanks everyone! We may be in Oregon for awhile - every turn offers a beautiful view! I can't wait to get out to the coast!

Dick, we are actually hoping to stay at Lapine next week! Will look for you if we are able to get a site. I am quickly learning that Oregon campgrounds fill up quick! We will also be checking out Bend and the art show!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We have camped quite a bit throughout Oregon.... (we are close neighbors up here...) all of the Oregon State Parks are great, many are different, but we have never been disappointed. The bathrooms are always clean and fresh, and the parks are equally clean and pleasant. I concur that going along the coast is wonderful... up through Bend is interesting as well. We stayed at LaPine a couple of months ago and although they just reburbished it, the spaces are smallish between campsites. One you might consider while going inland is out of Salem, and that is Silver Falls State Park. It is truly unique and beautiful. Be sure and check out the Oregon State Park website, they have all the parks brochures in downloadable pdfs for you to view!

Another great park near Portland is Champoeg... driving there is kinda weird, and you will swear you are "lost".... but it is nice, interesting history and closest State Park to Portland. If in Portland you want to drive at least part of the gorge along the Columbia River. Stunning...

Have fun! So much to see and enjoy.
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Lani,
Look for us in Campsite 111 at Lapine. Can't miss us in a black and white 1958 Cadillac and 58 Flying Cloud.
Dick (and Judy Deam)
DeamArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
If you find yourself in the Portland area, and need/want to spend a night, you might consider one of the privately owned campgrounds on Sauvie Island. Very nice places, on the banks of the Columbia river, just a few miles from the middle of downtown, and you would think that you were somewhere in the midwest.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
Lani , just south of Florence is where Honeyman S.P. is located. We spent several days there and covered the area fairly well. I can't say enough about how nice the place was. Course , I think all the state parks in Oregon are nice , at least all the ones we've stay in are
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
I think all of the Oregon coast is a "must see" site.
We enjoyed the views from Hwy 101 along the cliff tops and noticed that there would be a town at the mouth of every river that came to the coast. When driving through these towns, sooner or later you would see a business with a pile of oyster shells next to the parking lot. Invariably, the Airstream would veer into the parking lot and we would stock up on seafood for that evening's dinner.

I vote the Oregon coast as one of the 10 best Airstream trips in the country.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We travel the Oregon coast from north to south as the pull offs are then on your right, so that you are not having to cross traffic.

If you must go south to north, be very careful pulling into and out of the waysides.

In any event, have a great ride and keep your camera very handy.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
We like South Beach State park on the coast just south of Newport. Bend is spectacular though very hot this time of year. So much to see and do in Oregon.

Enjoy your stay!

Ryan.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Oh, just remembered The Cove Palisades State Park. It's North of Bend on Lake Billy Chinook. Definitely worth checking out!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap-N-Red View Post
Lani , just south of Florence is where Honeyman S.P. is located. We spent several days there and covered the area fairly well. I can't say enough about how nice the place was. Course , I think all the state parks in Oregon are nice , at least all the ones we've stay in are
We recently stayed here and second the motion. You can't go wrong with OR State Parks, they use ALL the lottery money for their parks and it shows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeyman 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	83809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Florence Dunes 1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	83810  

Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Blacksburg , Virginia
Thanks everyone! We had an amazing week in the Crater Lake area last week. This week we are checking out Hood River and then on to Portland. After that, the coast is DEFINITELY on the list, especially after all these great recommendations! Oregon state parks are amazing. I have been so impressed! This week, we are taking advantage of their promotional deal (stay 2 nights, get 3rd free). So awesome!!!!

Will be heading up to Washington state and then on into Canada in August. I may be posting again for recommendations!

Thanks again!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Fort Stevens State Park (on the coast just west of Astoria) is very nice, Excellent bike trails (if you have them with you). Also a lot of varied sites in the park itself. The coast artillery batteries there were fired upon by a Japanese submarine during WWII.
Also a lot of wildlife and a very old shipwreck (the Peter Iredale) on the beach.
Enjoy your time in my favorite state.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
We're on Long Beach in WA ...we love it. We're headed to Seaside on Fri. The state parks are great here. We're staying in a private park , but visited Fort Stevens State park near Astoria . It's one of the largest campgrounds in area..beautiful sites . I agree with everyone the coast is a must.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
We are staying at Loon Lake at the moment. The place is FULL of kids, all with smiles and having a ball. We're on our own so it's a bit noisier than we would prefer, but if our kids were young it would be terrific.

They aren't good about enforcing the Quiet Time after 10 o'clock. There was a loud (and profane) party going on until 1:30 a.m. one night, as well as a few fights; just yelling, no blood.

Campsites are pretty good although close together and very open, so not much privacy. The lake is lovely but full of power boats so, again, it can be noisy at times. The staff at the Loon Lake Lodge has been very nice and helpful. Since it's inland, it can get hot during the day but that makes the lake a nice place for a swim.
Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Massachusetts
I agree with Cap-N-Red. Honeyman State Park is really nice. My younger son and I have sandboarded there several times while visiting my brother in Florence. Give sandboarding a try - it's great fun. You can rent gear and get a lesson here:

SAND MASTER PARK "The Worlds First Sandboard Park!"
Dismayed is offline   Reply With Quote