Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Headed up 95 Nd quickly realized a $0.20 gal fuel savings in SC. It got even better grabbing one fill up at $1.89/gal

Took the bluehighway route to Braufort. Wonderful architecture and a great historic downtown. A little crowded but workable. Grabbed lunch and headed back to hwy17. Plenty of room at the inn and stayed 2 nites at Oak Plantation about 10 miles from historic downtown. Wow...traffic on hwy 17 in the 4-6 commute was incredible. Heavy flow and extremely long lights. Quick reconoiter and time for dinner back at camp.

The next day we walked wbite loint park and n'hood at the tip...hoping to see the fort off in the distance, but the fog bank was thick as the traffic. it was a great walk...saw a few 1670 vintage homes. Would have liked to take the ferry to the monument, but the dogs were in the trailer with the ac on and it would have been too long a trip. Next time tho maybe board the dogs now that we have the lay of the land.

Tomorrow we're heading for Myrtle Beach...a short drive but likely a slow on up Hwy17. Trying to take the bluehighways when we can.

BTW, the 7 year old laptop is toast, likely the motherboard....so it's the kindle until we get home at the end of march. So from here on out, no pictures...may load them when we get home, get the taxes done and buy the new laptop.

Happy trails.

B

Diesel. $4.88 per us gal in Toronto yesterday.
Jim
Old 02-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yeah I figured Kinda figured that . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- Have you guys been swimming there yet? This offshore buoy reports water temp of 67.1:

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=41004

Warmer than Oregon!

Peter
Old 02-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
...and surfing santa cruz in the winter, where the term freezeass was coined

swimming, no, but Interesting water = ambient air. Who'd have thunk it...i missed the boat thinking it was too cold to swim! time to let go of OR mindset.
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
PS -- Have you guys been swimming there yet? This offshore buoy reports water temp of 67.1:

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=41004

Warmer than Oregon!

Peter
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:39 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Forgot to mention the abundance of roadside stands selling the local sweet grass baskets when heading n from Charleston ~ Mt Pleasant. We didn't stop...much less many were curbside with no pullouts... but they looked like great looking crafts. Many of the stands looked they had survived years of hurricanes. The drive n to Georgetown thru the Marion Nat Forest was a wonderful.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Departed Myrtle Beach yesterday headed for Clayton, nc to look st a 55+ project in the Flowers Plantation project.

https://www.epconcommunities.com/nc/...rs-plantation/

We left MB via hwy 501 north to hwy 41 to Lumbertin/I95. The drive up 501 was not without it's share of lights. However 41 was great...2 lane blue highway thru tobacco country. I've never seen tobacco fields before, tho it was harvested....just something new.We

The project was great but the larger flowers plantation project is experiencing huge traffic infrastructure growth pains. Too bad, the project and especially the floor plans were perfect, but the area judt didn't ring the bell like the Del Webb in Ocala did.

We decided not to spend more time in Clayton so headed back down I 40 -95 to Fayetteville and found Fayetteville RV Resort at about 6:30...from a freeway sign. Lucked out, a very nice place. Not overly fancy but clean and well kept! Highly recommend it!

WEATHER...what up...2 b continued
Old 02-27-2019, 07:38 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
What up indeed . . . quite a mass of cold air lurking for 3/5 to 3/9:

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...10temp.new.gif

. . . but no hard frosts for the next few days west of you in Charlotte FYI:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...Type=graphical

Washington MO looking positively unfriendly for short-term IMO:

March 1st on Friday . . . Westward Ho?

Cheers,

Peter
Old 02-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Weather...looking at the old stomping grounds. 116 at Gurneville and Monte Rio (norcal) underwater, which means that two rock /tomales rd W of Petaluma is flooded...Garcia River at hwy 1 likely flooded so sea ranch/gualala is stranded assuming skaggs springs road to dry creek has the norma slide closures. Nothing new, the russian river flooded when i was young and i expect long before I that. Some things never change and the Russian River flooding is no different.

So here we sit comfortably in Wade, nc, heading tomorrow to visit old sea ranch friends now in greenville, sc for four days. We're expecting reasonable if not light rains there. I'm good, but then it starts to get exciting heading via TN to Washington, Mo. It's like last March...under tornado watch in Memphis, across from Graceland, riveted to the 15 min weather new cycle...all channels. just where is that cinder block shelter anyway?? Is it stocked with that salt shaker of salt?

We layed up here in Wade, nc to do laundry and to kill time ( missed the nearby botanical garden and special ops museum at Fort Bragg but will do next time) ..added a day in Greenville, Sc...still freezing in Nashville...ditto Washington, Mo. kinda wanted to take the road over the smokies to Knoxville...not so sure now. Wash mo showing -1...woohoo, Then 7, 10, 20 & warming to 27 on our projected eta... (it could be worse and i left my tire chains at home) i'm thinking of filing an extension and heading back to Ocala or Fiesta Key!

So much for that snowbird tour and that lost shaker of salt!

Happy trails.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:50 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Peter, thanks again. Missed this, probably because it took so long to finger type the post. Much appreciated and yes "positively unfriendly"...understatement

Thursday fir westwzrd ho...sorta...NW actually to Greenville SC...next stop Wash Mo...psth and timing TBD.
B

Quote:
What up indeed . . . quite a mass of cold air lurking for 3/5 to 3/9:

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...10temp.new.gif

. . . but no hard frosts for the next few days west of you in Charlotte FYI:

Washington MO looking positively unfriendly for short-term IMO:

March 1st on Friday . . . Westward Ho?

Cheers,

Peter
Old 02-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Leisurely drive down I95 to I20 to I26 inc nice detour thru Newberry. Nice the have cheaper gas, about $0.20 less give or take. $2.01 with 5 cent disc at flying j

Arrived in Greenville, actually Travelers Rest KOA...a little out of town up hwy 25 but this place is a real jewel. Kinda up a hollar off 25, quiet, incredibly maintained and owner involved. All but a few sites back up to a babbling creek. I need to figure how to take a kindle pic and upload to AF

The access was very circuitous but now know the back way, without a TT to friends in nearby Taylor.

B
Old 02-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sounds like a great stop for a state of repose . . .

Old 02-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Yup, plenty to do. In addition to our friends, there is a project we want to look st. Same developer, (?) https://www.epconcommunities.com/contact-us/

but different franchisee for Greenvile, sc area
https://newstylecommunities.com/find...m_content=9107

Or for Clayton, nc
https://www.epconcommunities.com/nc/...rs-plantation/

Kinda liking Greenville, tho del webb Ocala is also looking like a fit.

BTW, verizon jetpack a non op in the holler here, but the park has tovery good wifi.B

Plenty to do wbhile the badzo weather warms up.
B
Old 02-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
CD

Just want to ride along with you and join in on your fun trip.

BTW, next time you are in MB, make sure you hit Mrs. Fish, a great local seafood place in the downtown area.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:07 AM   #134
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
CD, I hope you are planning on staying south as long as you can. At least until Thursday.. We are in Mexico, nice and warm, but will be back in St Louis in time for 3 degrees on Sunday night?. Yuck.. should have stayed another week. Travel safe. Good luck with the search.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks GA. Have a great time in Mexico!

What up weather man. Table for 1, garcon...just checked again, global warming i guess. It's up from 1 to 6 degrees

Not sure what to do, headed for 20's here...worse in Tn and more so in Mo. Etc.

I have two small 110vac space heaters and can open up in my unit the critical plumbing for some warmer air flow.

OR i could winterize now (by the 4th when we leave Greenville and head N/S/E/W), buy some of Kentucky's finest and head wherever...thinking Asheville to Nashville, Knob Lick area ( some history on my wife's fathers side) then on to Washington, Mo. Wish cousin hadn't sold her home with a heated Wick building.

Since my BW check valve...my weak link in the 20's is already toast, winterization will be much easier, especially since i will have tank heaters and interior heat...maybe even in rear storage!

Why let the tail wag the dog

Woof

B
ps

I winterize the TT otr with air using a 12vdc inflator..personally with other methods as field conditions dictate

QUOTE=GettinAway;2215054]CD, I hope you are planning on staying south as long as you can. At least until Thursday.. We are in Mexico, nice and warm, but will be back in St Louis in time for 3 degrees on Sunday night?. Yuck.. should have stayed another week. Travel safe. Good luck with the search.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-01-2019, 08:04 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Hey weatherman....watching the new re flooding in Guerneville, ca breaking 25 year old records.

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/artic...s-13647060.php

the year we converted a sonoma coast 2nd home to a primary. Then we drove to Jenner and up hwy 1 via Gurneville...two rock was already flooded! I remember thinking driving by the huge propane tank in downtown Gurneville and noting the High watermark stain ..that is a watermark for the records. As of when we moved to OR in 2004, it was still unpainted and the forever reminder of that high water mark and all the homeless folks picking up the pieces of their life, until now.

I hope everyone is safe.

freezing temps in the south are are just an inconvenience. Flooding one's home is catastrophic. i hope all are safe.I

Bob
Old 03-02-2019, 05:52 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
. . . I remember . . . driving by the huge propane tank in downtown Gurneville . . .
. . .
Nice photos in that article you linked, and ditto hope everyone is OK.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same?"

Something about this photo echoing the folly of humankind re-building in some places . . . IMO . . .

Good luck to all.

Peter
Old 03-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #138
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Can't remember when, late 80's maybe folks were forced to lift homes to get ins. You're right, it seemed many home were flooding year after year. A buddy in Tehema who lives on the sacto fiver had to as ins required it, even tho it has been years since they flooded. Unfortunately not sure what solution there is for downtown guerneville businesses along river road.

I hope the rain moderates soon.There is a lot of work ahead.
B
Old 03-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
With ocean water levels rising, it is "retreat or elevate" for any areas prone to flooding. Entire cities have been abandoned in the Mississippi River flood plain. Montauk NY, the home of Hither Hills SP, is talking about elevating entire sections of the coastline.

Residential areas of southern Long Island, decimated by Super Storm Sandy, are becoming much different as all the old houses have to be raised 8-10' or so to comply. This results in the quaint old streets near the water being more like underground passages inside of new concrete retaining walls lining the street.

The future is here, and it ain't pretty.

Retreat or elevate.

There is always the 60's options of T. O. T. I. D. O. of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_o...e_in,_drop_out

. . . but most folks are a little Leary of that . . .

Old 03-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:

There is always the 60's options of T. O. T. I. D. O. of course.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_o...e_in,_drop_out
. . . but most folks are a little Leary of that . . .

Like his brother, Really Leary?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote