Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 06:51 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bob, when you get back home and settled in . . . please post some photos of Washington and other places you might consider as possible retirement spots. We have found our interests gravitating toward smaller downtown locations, where walking to stores, etc. is easily done, even if the location/housing is not ideal in other respects. Is the old part of Washington like that?

What is the train/bus infrastructure like, in terms of getting out of Dodge once in a while?

Safe home . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:45 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Jeff, quarters are tight...tighter as time goes on. The 3 mo trip was a ....heck lets go for it. A pretty big bite with a 2 people and two dogs (one a 13 + senior), but have no regrets. It all works out and adjustments otr as needed. Certainly this trip with the laptop crash, credit card replacements, sad news x3 were just tests for us and it all worked out.

Have fun on the planning. Looking forward to our otr comments next year.

Happy trails.
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Nice to hear that about Washington MO. It’s a nice town for sure. Was through there again last week. Bought a Ural, and I’m trying to get used to three wheels. 100 and 94 are excellent training roads. Hope you got home to nice weather. Next winter will be our first extended trip in our 23. I’m hoping we can adapt to tight quarters for four weeks.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:00 PM   #203
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Peter before i forget, thanks again for all the weather etc links. It was a huge help and much appreciared. You didn't mention that the Az shorts/FFlops would be be retired once again in CA rained the entire drive to Woodland today! Tracktown projected mostly rain for 2 weeks...i'm already missing the tornado watches.

My sife told me she saw 1" hail in N texas. Wasn't that many days ago we were there (Denton, tx)...whew.

I will put some notes and comments to post later after taxes filed and the new??? Laptop time sponge is behind me...oh have to fit in a wine trip to Paso next month...though dutyThis

I will say preliminary results re a small town with great walkability and bikeability is spelled Tracktown(Eugene)
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Bob, when you get back home and settled in . . . please post some photos of Washington and other places you might consider as possible retirement spots. We have found our interests gravitating toward smaller downtown locations, where walking to stores, etc. is easily done, even if the location/housing is not ideal in other respects. Is the old part of Washington like that?

What is the train/bus infrastructure like, in terms of getting out of Dodge once in a while?

Safe home . . .

Peter
Old 03-28-2019, 01:24 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
I will say preliminary results re a small town with great walkability and bikeability is spelled Tracktown(Eugene)
. . .
LOL I was biting my tongue the whole time, waiting to suggest that . . .

Glad "it all worked out," in spite of the bad news x3 . . . . . . and other challenges like the weather.

Don't forget the garden and fresh tomato BLT's coming up, and have fun on the wine tour south!

Welcome home, thanks again for the tour for this arm-chair traveler, hoping for Hither Hills in a few weeks, if life can make some room for some fun OTRA!

Peter
Old 03-31-2019, 03:34 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
We spent a night in Yreka at the Yreka RV Park and visiting my cousin. The drive N was a bit harry as it started to snow at bridge bay lake shasta and was at a good clip at Black Butte Pass. Miraculously popped out into sun at Weed...BBPass has a reputation of making it's own weather.

The next day we opted to layup in Canyonville, Or (mm 98) at 7 feathers, and awesome rv park and relax. Wasn't excited to pull into Eug (mm194) at 4 and start to unload. Next morning was a short drive.

88 days, 12,958 miles inc sightseeing etc...key west, the Carolinas and most of in between...whew.

Good to be home.

B
Old 03-31-2019, 10:46 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Welcome home Bob, glad I came along. Great adventure and great memories.
How did you take care of the cars maintenance on the road? With that many miles you surely had to have oil changes tire rotations and how did the Airstream handle some of the bad roads out there? Popped rivets, wheel bearing maintenance and other things?
Old 04-01-2019, 02:54 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
88 days, 12,958 miles inc sightseeing etc...key west, the Carolinas and most of in between...whew.

Good to be home.
. . .
Amen to that, and welcome home!

You averaged just under 150 miles per day for the entire trip, and accomplished a lot. I hope your retirement housing research was helpful. It was great to follow along, and recall our own long cross-country trip in the 90's with the 25' . . . "whew" is a familiar feeling.

Good luck with the wine trip . . . and garden.

Great closing tune from Roy and Dale.

Happy Trails,

Peter
Old 04-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #208
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Traveling is fun but always good to be home. Our longest so far has been 3 months and on the way home the wife didn't want to hardly stop at all, just "Git 'er done!"

Enjoyed your travels and adventures. Roy & Dale's Happy Trails, one of my favorite songs, singers and cowboys. Real people.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #209
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I hear ya...the horse sensing the barn and time kick it up a notch.

"R&D real people". You betchya!
Old 04-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. There are streets in Victorville, CA named after Roy and Dale. I think they actually lived near there.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:43 AM   #211
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . .
Howdy Bob,

Wondering if you have refined the search results, for possible retirement spots, now that you have been back home for a spell? Picking up and moving -- lock, stock, and barrel -- is a huge project, as I know you appreciate. Is there any place which could draw you out of Eugene, for the next lap around the track?

Thanks for your thoughts about a better corner of the USA to settle in, especially in terms of weather and walk/bike-ability. Perhaps family in Missouri is a factor for you guys?

Thanks again for letting us tag along on your trip!

Peter