Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Opinions requested on rear view camera.

If you'd had experience with one of the following wireless rear view cameras chime in.
I've rejected Furrion and Voyager.
1. Haloview 7". 120 degree viewing angle
2. Rear view safety. 7". 130 degree viewing angle.
3. ZeroXClub. 7" 149 deg viewing angle

I want 720 P or better resolution.

I'm leaning towards the Haloview, but I'm concerned about the viewing angle. I'd like to strike a balance between seeing my rear bumper as well as traffic behind me. Too wide and cars start as a spec and then zoom up and past.
Too narrow and you can't see enough behind you.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:56 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If you'd had experience with one of the following wireless rear view cameras chime in.
I've rejected Furrion and Voyager.
1. Haloview 7". 120 degree viewing angle
2. Rear view safety. 7". 130 degree viewing angle.
3. ZeroXClub. 7" 149 deg viewing angle

I want 720 P or better resolution.

I'm leaning towards the Haloview, but I'm concerned about the viewing angle. I'd like to strike a balance between seeing my rear bumper as well as traffic behind me. Too wide and cars start as a spec and then zoom up and past.
Too narrow and you can't see enough behind you.
I recently removed the Voyager camera system from our brand new 2021 Globetrotter and bought the Haloview MC10 (https://www.haloview.com/haloview-wi...hcam-mc10.html).

The comfort of basically replacing your rearview mirror is amazing. We don't even take it off anymore, as it works as a normal mirror once the power is disconnected. Our camera allows us to change the angle of the camera, meaning I can tilt the view down towards the bumper for reversing, or I can have a more distant view when driving. This is done by sliding up and down the screen.

The resolution is great, probably the best in the market, but don't expect iPhone/iPad quality. It gets tricky during sunrise/sunset when the sun shines directly on the camera.

Anyways, I think the MC10 is the best system out there if you want to avoid another screen in your car. The camera across all systems is the same with Haloview. Also, we did not buy the signal-booster/repeater, and we have a 27ft trailer and a 15ft long Mercedes in the front.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
If you want better resolution, go with a wired camera instead of wireless, like the GM trailer camera...
Old 02-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I’d echo CMHM’s remarks on the Haloview MC10, and add that the monitor also serves as a very useful forward facing dash cam. It stays installed over our OEM rear view mirror. With the signal booster, resolution has been very good - a consistent 720 from the rear camera, complementing the 1080 resolution of the dash cam. Our camera installs midway up our hatch on Haloview’s magnetic mount, and stows in the bumper when we’re at a campsite. The power wire runs under the AS to the front battery area, where the booster resides.
Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I got the BC-40 as an add on for our Garmin Smart 65. Terrific resolution with voice control for underway observation.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:44 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We installed the Haloview MC7108 7'' 720P HD Digital Wireless Backup Camera System 7'' LCD Reversing Monitor and IP69K Waterproof Rear View Camera on our 25' International with the monitor on the dash of our F-150 (distance about 45' between camera and monitor through all that metal - We have never lost video, is clear an crisp. We like it for backing as well as review while driving. Recommend it over the crap voyager and almost half the price.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Prattville , Alabama
BC-40 camera question

"I got the BC-40 as an add on for our Garmin Smart 65. Terrific resolution with voice control for underway observation."

I don't know how to quote officially, so I just copied Bob's post & pasted, but my question to Bob is:
I've got the Garmin RV 780 & the BC-40 is listed as incompatible, I think because of it's 25 ft range. How far is your BC40 located from your Smart 65? I've got a 19' Bambi and would like to use the BC-40 instead of the BC-30 that Garmin recommends because of much better resolution, if it would reach. Or should I just ping Garmin with this question, incase there is some other compatibility issue?
Alan
2old2tent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Has anyone tried the license plate cameras with their trailer? My gut reaction is that they probably don't have wireless signal strength to get a signal from the back of a 31' trailer to the driver area in a van. I was given one as a present but my guess it probably will be marginal if it works at all.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
I recently removed the Voyager camera system from our brand new 2021 Globetrotter and bought the Haloview MC10 (https://www.haloview.com/haloview-wi...hcam-mc10.html).

The comfort of basically replacing your rearview mirror is amazing. We don't even take it off anymore, as it works as a normal mirror once the power is disconnected. Our camera allows us to change the angle of the camera, meaning I can tilt the view down towards the bumper for reversing, or I can have a more distant view when driving. This is done by sliding up and down the screen.

The resolution is great, probably the best in the market, but don't expect iPhone/iPad quality. It gets tricky during sunrise/sunset when the sun shines directly on the camera.

Anyways, I think the MC10 is the best system out there if you want to avoid another screen in your car. The camera across all systems is the same with Haloview. Also, we did not buy the signal-booster/repeater, and we have a 27ft trailer and a 15ft long Mercedes in the front.
I agree. The only difficulty I have to work around is the screen/Mirror tends to cover up the garage door opener buttons on the Tundra Rear View Mirror.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I got the BC-40 as an add on for our Garmin Smart 65. Terrific resolution with voice control for underway observation. 🇺🇸
I have the Garmin BC-30 currently. It's one big downside is the resolution is a miserly 295 lines. It's Bluetooth to my RV 770 and the concept works perfectly EXCEPT for the image looking like a bad VHS dub in dim light.
The BC-35 has slightly better resolution, but is now wi-fi.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the BC-40 has decent resolution but is designed to mount on a license plate and is powered by two AA Batteries.
If I'm going to change to a camera/monitor I'll go all the way.
I do like my setup where the camera is inside the rear window, so getting a signal may be another challenge.
(Although it's line of sight through two windows. The Bluetooth is rock solid.)
Old 02-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2tent View Post
I've got the Garmin RV 780 & the BC-40 is listed as incompatible, I think because of it's 25 ft range. How far is your BC40 located from your Smart 65? I've got a 19' Bambi and would like to use the BC-40 instead of the BC-30 that Garmin recommends because of much better resolution, if it would reach. Or should I just ping Garmin with this question, incase there is some other compatibility issue?
Alan
Sorry, I'm not Bob, but I wanted to chime in.
The BC-30 is Bluetooth, while the BC-40 is Wi-Fi. So the two are not interchangeable. Whoever told you the BC-30 has better resolution is mistaken. Also the BC-30 uses a different power cable, so you'll lose your traffic warnings
Contacting Garmin might be a challenge, but the "GPS Store" sells tons of Garmin products. I'd try them.
I bought my RV 770 refurbished from them.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:51 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Quote:

Does this camera fit into Voyager bracket? If no, does the Haloview bracket replace the Voyager bracket without new holes in my AS?
Are you using the power wires for the Voyager with the Haloview camera?
I am dissatisfied with the Voyager dropping signal. I added a longer antenna, but still drops. Voyager, if I am correct, does not offer a repeater.
THX
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:09 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
How easy was the install?

Quote:

This looks like an excellent option. Thank you for sharing this. Did you have to make any plug adaptations form the Voyager to the Haloview 10? Just interested to hear about he install.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:12 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
Does this camera fit into Voyager bracket? If no, does the Haloview bracket replace the Voyager bracket without new holes in my AS?
Are you using the power wires for the Voyager with the Haloview camera?
I am dissatisfied with the Voyager dropping signal. I added a longer antenna, but still drops. Voyager, if I am correct, does not offer a repeater.
THX
I ordered the MC10 with a few spare brackets (they make one for the Voyager) and I didn’t have to drill new holes. I cut the existing cable and attached it to the MC10 and was ready to go.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:28 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Prattville , Alabama
Thanks, Mollysdad! I'll check with the GPS Store for their recommendations.
2old2tent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:49 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Dadeville , Alabama
I replaced my Voyager due to water intrustion - two years old. I bought a DoHonest camera and monitor. Its not hi-resolution but I wasnt in the market for hi-res. The DoHonest camera mount fit the holes where the Voyager was located. The camera wirelessly hooked up with the monitor with ease. I like it and its not expensive. Plus, they sent me an additional camera at no cost after I gave them a good review.
Viperdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
The BC-30 is Bluetooth, while the BC-40 is Wi-Fi. So the two are not interchangeable. Whoever told you the BC-30 has better resolution is mistaken. Also the BC-30 uses a different power cable, so you'll lose your traffic warnings
Contacting Garmin might be a challenge, but the "GPS Store" sells tons of Garmin products. I'd try them.
Yes, and remember it's not a constant view system, it comes on with voice control and when the vehicle is started, but resolution is pretty darn good.

For a constant rear trailer view ck the Furrion offerings. POI..problem with most is the extreme wide angle.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
Old 02-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Yes, and remember it's not a constant view system, it comes on with voice control and when the vehicle is started, but resolution is pretty darn good.

For a constant high mount rear trailer view ck the Furrion offerings.
POI..the problem with most is the extreme wide angle.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
Old 02-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
For a constant high mount rear trailer view ck the Furrion offerings.
POI..the problem with most is the extreme wide angle.
����
The reasons I rejected Furrion is:
1. It costs twice as much.
2. YouTubers seem to love it or absolutely hate it. Seems it either works or nothing you can do will make it work.

As a charter member of the "If it's worth doing it's worth overdoing" club, I'm actually considering two cameras. My current one which can see the rear bumper, but has lousy resolution, plus a second one that might not see the bumper, but looks great!
Since my BC-30 uses the GPS as a monitor, It doesn't cost me any real estate to just leave it in. I'll just stack the camera brackets.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Felton , Delaware
We just got the Haloview RD10. Took 4 days to get to us from Hong Kong. Hoping to have it installed in the next week or so.
Dallashayes is offline   Reply With Quote