Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 09:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Opinions please

On Friday we made reservations for Saturdunday nights at a campground in Waco, TX. We arrived on Saturday four pm. Nobody in office call a number. Person came and checked us in and showed us our site. 30 amp service. Concrete pad a little shade, great. Plugged in surge protector, everything works. In about 3 minutes breaker on post trips.Turned off verything except AC. Worked about 1 minute. Surge protector kicks out. Then surge protector kicks in then out. Get voltage meter, shows 99-102 volts. Leave everything off and check again, same voltage. Nobody will answer phone, office closed on Sunday. Very hot and miserable. Got online and found another campground was able to book a site. Packed up and left. In your opinion should I get a refund from the first campground?
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:45 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Should you? ... sure.

Will you? ... good luck with that.

At a "typical" campground, stuff like this happens at 6 pm and a service guy shows up the next morning ( = before noon) to fix it. If nobody is there on Sunday, then "next morning" would be Monday.

I would guess we run into this sort of thing once or twice a year.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If there are vacant spots (unlikely on a weekend) you can move or if you have a long cord you might be able to strung it to an adjacent spot. I've been lucky to find posts with both 30 and 50 amp plugs and use a dog bone adaptor.

As for getting a refund, geography and hassle make most options impractical. Note to self - if I must travel on Friday, I need to check in by 2:00 PM. POLITE BUT FIRM documentation via email may work, especially if your distribution list grows with each subsequent request. "If you do not respond within 3 days, it will be necessary for me to notify the local health department and zoning inspector (danger of electrocution, fire or cross contamination of the water supply?) The first should be toned nicely - I am sure you will agree that it is reasonable to reimburse me for at least the difference between a full hookup site and primitive site.... subsequent ones? Simply have a distribution list that grows ever longer:

Copies to BBB, any consumer hotlines, llocal TV stations, Good Sam, Harvest Host, the Airstream Club, and of course Google, etc.
Old 06-05-2022, 04:03 AM   #4
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
call your credit card company tell them what happened and you want to stop payment, they'll do the rest
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Not that it matters in this case but I am aware that low voltage in some older campgrounds is not that unusual if the camp site power post is at or toward the farthest end of a run and the campground is full, AND everybody's running their a/c's.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, ask for a refund and take necessary steps if this is refused.

I once was set up in a site where the electricity did not work, and folks in neighboring sites told me it had been out for weeks.

With some persistence, I was moved to another site.

There are unscrupulous folks out there, is the truth, and sometimes we run into them.

Maggie
Old 06-05-2022, 05:47 AM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
The good news is you had a surge protector and it did what it was supposed to do.

Getting a refund may or may not work. But I would certainly try.
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
call your credit card company tell them what happened and you want to stop payment, they'll do the rest
^^^^This^^^^

I moved to some nearby BLM land and fired up my generator. It was one of the best campsites I’ve ever had looking down on the barely-visible tracks of the Oregon Trail and sipping bourbon on the rocks.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Should you? ... sure.

Will you? ... good luck with that.
Before I saw your post I said...what you said...LOL

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:16 PM   #10
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
If office is open: new site or refund
If office is closed: try to find another open site with adequate power
If above fails, try to get a site at another park and cancel cc payment.
Good luck.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:15 AM   #11
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I've seen this in Carson City, 50 mixed into an original 30 amp park.

MoHo comes in plugs in with a surge protector, won't run because of low voltage, mgr called, he shows up with the maint. guy with a plug in drill. Drill runs = good power, argument insues, MoHo leaves, not sure about refund.
I unplugged during this and was charged $30 "meter fee" for not plugging in with solar.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Had a similar situation with my 50AMP today. Plugged in my EMS and the 2nd line had low voltage. The campground person came right out, but he had no idea what was going on; not an electrician. I am at the end of the line as well, but not everyone is here. 30 AMP outlet worked OK with my EMS. So we are on just one AC unit. It did look as though the 50 AMP outlet had cracked. He will replace that tomorrow. Not sure if that would make a difference. It is 90 degrees, and one time the AC stopped and the code was E7 which means a power interruption. So had to reset thermostat, and I put the water heater on LP. The EMS did not disconnect during the power interruption.

If we have to get by with the 30 AMP, we will. But I don't like the AC blowing on me at night. That's why I like the 2 AC units.

This is a city campground. Very reasonable at $170 for the week. Full hook ups. And on a very level concrete pad with a tree shading the AS. So can't complain. Tomorrow will be cooler, so I may just plug in the EMS with the 50 AMP and see if I get the same problem.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 04:01 PM   #13
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
It happened to us in NM last summer after we paid in cash for 4 days. We only stayed about an hour as the voltage went below 100 volts and management apologized and gave us back all our cash.
So my opinion is yes, you should get a full refund.