Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
N/A , Ontario
Ontario to Arizona

Hello,
We are planning to spend some time in Arizona this winter. I am working virtually and need/use my computer daily for business.

We live in Ontario,Canada and are wondering how to best cover our Internet needs. I don't want to constantly tether from the phone so am thinking MiFi or a combined prepaid plan?

Any other options that don't cost megabucks and will accommodate? I anticipate needing up to 20 GB/month total.

Does anyone know of campgrounds in Arizona with high-speed WiFi that's accessible, even when many access the system?

TIA!
BeatriceTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hi Tia
We are locate in central Canada and spend several months a year in the south including AZ. Over time we have found ATT's MIFI to work very well. You can set the account up on a prepared basis and purchase the data you feel you will use in a given month. As of our last trip south last fall they now have a roll-over feature for prepaid data so that makes things even better. At least you don't loose what you don't use in a given month any longer. The speeds are decent and it allows us to maintain access all the time. There is NO contracts so one just buys what you need. There is the one time cost to buy the MIFI unit but other than that it's very simple and straight forward.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This is a good one Voyager Hotel & RV Resort: Tucson AZ Luxury Resort | RV Sites, Park Model & Manufactured Home Sales and has internet over the phone line at $29.95 month unlimited. We're using it and it works well. Lots of folks from Ontario here. Very active resort, plenty to keep you busy all day if you want.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
N/A , Ontario
Thanks Arcticfox,
Do you have experience with the ATT MiFi in rural areas, and which model do you use? Any advice for best coverage in those areas?

Thanks in Advance.
Beatrice
Old 11-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
N/A , Ontario
Thanks dkottum,
this might sound a stupid question. Is this phone Internet via mobile phone and how does it work?
Thanks,
Beatrice
Old 11-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatriceTT View Post
Thanks Arcticfox,
Do you have experience with the ATT MiFi in rural areas, and which model do you use? Any advice for best coverage in those areas?

Thanks in Advance.
Beatrice
We use the "AT&T Velocity" and it works well for us. We leave it in the front window of the trailer all the time and it provides us with a good WIFI signal when parked or moving down the road. The battery in it lasts all day, so even if we're traveling without power we have a constant connection.

The coverage of AT&T is very good with only a couple signal void areas we have run into in the central plains as we transit south. These normally never last very long and before we know it we are back in service. You can do a Google search to access one of the many AT&T service maps to give you a better idea of coverages and service levels.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Doug
Old 11-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
N/A , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
We use the "AT&T Velocity" and it works well for us.

The coverage of AT&T is very good with only a couple signal void areas we have run into in the central plains as we transit south. These normally never last very long and before we know it we are back in service.
Great, thank a bunch! I (still) work and use the computer for work so need to find the best options as this is going to be a "workation.". I very much appreciate your help.
Beatrice
Old 11-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Great, thank a bunch! I (still) work and use the computer for work so need to find the best options as this is going to be a "workation.". I very much appreciate your help.
Beatrice
Glad to be of some assistance.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Thanks dkottum,
this might sound a stupid question. Is this phone Internet via mobile phone and how does it work?
Thanks,
Beatrice
The underground phone wiring was installed to each site in the resort 30 years ago and now carries internet and telephone service. There are also some free wifi hot spots for internet within the park such as at the pool area.

We also have a Verizon wireless plan for when we leave the park to travel the area.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
N/A , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The underground phone wiring was installed to each site in the resort 30 years ago and now carries internet and telephone service. There are also some free wifi hot spots for internet within the park such as at the pool area.

We also have a Verizon wireless plan for when we leave the park to travel the area.
Thanks again. I wonder whether there are more campgrounds in Arizona that have this service? This sounds like a perfect setup for our "workation."

Do you recommend booking ahead in February/March?
Old 11-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Jan/Feb/Mar are near capacity but does not feel crowded, more like a small community. Plenty of facilities. So yes call ahead and check on availability. Also a 55+ resort, ask about that if you're not there yet. There's something in their plan about a percentage who are younger, our good friends from Port Elgin, ON are early 50's.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
BeatriceTT - I'm also from ON and I winter in AZ (currently in Casa Grande). I have used AT&T, Virgin & Verizon over the past 9 years and can say, without a doubt, that Verizon is the most reliable; it's what I'm now using for both cell service & internet. If you are planning on staying in one spot for a month or so, you can often get wi-fi service. If you want more details, PM me.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:50 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
N/A , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
BeatriceTT - I'm also from ON and I winter in AZ (currently in Casa Grande). I have used AT&T, Virgin & Verizon over the past 9 years and can say, without a doubt, that Verizon is the most reliable; it's what I'm now using for both cell service & internet. If you are planning on staying in one spot for a month or so, you can often get wi-fi service. If you want more details, PM me.
Thanks for your advice, I just PM'd you.