Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
'67 Globe Trotter "Järv"

1967 20' Globetrotter
Glacier NP , Montana
Ontario, Maine, and New Hamphire or bust!

Hello,
I'm taking my '67 Globe Trotter on the road next week. Headed to a conference in NH, I'll be passing through Algonquin Provincial Park and need to see about a lobster on the Maine coast. My itinerary is wide open, and I'm anxious to loosely navigate from paper maps. I don't need hook-ups every night and would like to find some remote spots with a view of a moose, but I will be looking for places that are safe. It appears to be too early for Algonquin's campgrounds, but I'd appreciate hearing of some great roads, restaurants, campgrounds, festivals, oddities,short hikes (traveling with dog recovering from surgery), canoe trips, and other experiences throughout the region.
Thank you!
Slik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Sounds Good!

Check the Mew Lake campground in Algonquin. I believe it is open all year. http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit...campground.php

This is our favorite site in Algonquin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alg1112-1279_IMG.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	961.7 KB
ID:	185507  
Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Once in Maine the coastal town of Camden is very nice to visit. Camden State Park is nearby and a good place to base from. If you make it to Bar Harbor that's worth a visit also. Lots of Lobsters all around so you can't go wrong in either place. Moose, on the other hand, are a bit more difficult to predict. In Algonquin park early spring is good for sightings. They are often seen along the roads looking for the winter salt runoff. Later they move deep into the woods and not so visible. So you might be lucky there. Listen for the wolves at night in Algonquin. Consider yourself very lucky if you see any though.

Have a great trip and enjoy what the East Coast has to offer.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Chester , New Hampshire
New Hampshire

Hi slik! NH has lots to offer, beaches, mountains, lakes. Highly recommend a trip up to the White Mountains, the Kancamagus highway is beautiful with camping options there in White Mountain national forest. Coastal route 1A has pretty views and historic mansions, with lovely downtown Portsmouth at one end (Strawberry Banke is a colonial museum worth a visit, with prescott park across the street, good restaurants too!). Squam lake has been billed as NH's most beautiful lake... I've lived in NH my whole life, I could go on and on.
I'll have to look at the goings-on to see about festivals and oddities. Depends on when you're traveling I suppose!

Meagan
1977 Argosy 28
WBCCI#1528
AIR#73368
TinyFixation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Black Flies...

Hi Slik,

Wow, hearing from Road Ruler and TinyFixation sounds like you'll have a good time.

Just a word of caution with evry early spring you are entering prime Black Fly season. So, come prepared, as up here in Canada those pesky insects have huge teeth!

I look forward to seeing many pictures detailing your trip.

Chris
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Slik,

As a Mainer I would recommend staying near the coast to avoid the black flies. Bar harbor is nice, but can get crowded depending on when you will get there. Camden is nice but very touristy, I would instead recommend staying near Belfast, which is a small eclectic town. There are two campgrounds near there, Searsport Oceanfront, and Moorings Oceanfront, but on the pricey side, with Searsport being the most expensive campground I have ever seen ($80/night) but it's pretty nice.

-J
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
'67 Globe Trotter "Järv"

1967 20' Globetrotter
Glacier NP , Montana
Thank you all so much for the tips and ideas... this should be a great trip!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
We did the NH/ME trip last October. We stayed on the beach in Hampton Beach state Park in NH, and we stayed in Bar Harbor, right on the water, a Koa. For lobstah my husband really liked the Trenton Lobster Company. With those two states you really can't go wrong. Have fun.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
'67 Globe Trotter "Järv"

1967 20' Globetrotter
Glacier NP , Montana
I'm routing my trip through the Adirondacks instead of Algonquin. I'm looking into all the new leads and appreciate the input!