Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

Woodbridge , Connecticut
Question one way airstream rentals

Hi! I'm looking for suggestions on rentals. Basically: I want to rent an airstream in New England and spend a couple of weeks driving it to California. Does anyone know of a place that does one-way airstream rentals? Any leads would be much appreciated!
jessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I have never heard of an Airstream rental that you can pick up on the east coast and drop on the west coast.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessa View Post
Hi! I'm looking for suggestions on rentals. Basically: I want to rent an airstream in New England and spend a couple of weeks driving it to California. Does anyone know of a place that does one-way airstream rentals? Any leads would be much appreciated!
Welcome to the forums. No one currently offers Airstream trailer rentals for towing. If you really want to do this, you can buy an Airstream, tow it where you are going, then sell it. The difference between the purchase and selling price is the rental fee.
Some people want their Airstreams towed somewhere, and will allow you to tow it for them. That would be going where they want it to go, not necessarily where you want to take it.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Woodbridge , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Welcome to the forums. No one currently offers Airstream trailer rentals for towing. If you really want to do this, you can buy an Airstream, tow it where you are going, then sell it. The difference between the purchase and selling price is the rental fee.
Some people want their Airstreams towed somewhere, and will allow you to tow it for them. That would be going where they want it to go, not necessarily where you want to take it.
I had the thought of purchasing one as well, I'll keep digging around to see if any rental possibilities exist. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Depending where you were to buy it and where you were to sell it you might be able to actually turn a profit.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Right,,, just a good first step to own one.. Go for it and get what you want.. After all,, you need a place to stay on the way back!

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
If you buy it would be smarter to do in the other direction LOL. Airstreams are a lot rarer in New England. Buy in Cali and drive it here! In fact you may be able to presell it to someone here! Trailers in the dry Midwest like Arizona also typically have less rot damage. You could buy it there sightsee to your hearts content and sell it here at probably more than you paid.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I'm fearful I have not heard of such a service, but there is a good chance you might be able to tow an individuals airstream from one side of the country to the other - might be worth a post or two to see if anyone is so interested.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

Woodbridge , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
If you buy it would be smarter to do in the other direction LOL. Airstreams are a lot rarer in New England. Buy in Cali and drive it here! In fact you may be able to presell it to someone here! Trailers in the dry Midwest like Arizona also typically have less rot damage. You could buy it there sightsee to your hearts content and sell it here at probably more than you paid.
Jeese sounds like a business opportunity! Sadly this isn't an option for us... short backstory: my boyfriend is just finishing up 6 months of treatment for leukemia that included 4 rounds of chemo and a bone marrow transplant. He's always wanted to road trip across the country in an airstream, so when he gets the ok from his doc to travel we want to go from New England, where he's been being treated, back to San Francisco, where we live.

I'll keep looking! There's always a regular RV, but his heart is set on this =)
Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
There ARE places that rent Airstreams. Here's a couple:
Airstream Rentals at Airstreams4rent RV Rental in Phoenix, AZ
http://www.socalairstream.com/
http://airstreamescapes.com/v2/
You might want to contact them to see if they know of anyone else perhaps closer to you - or just Google airstream rentals and a bunch will come up. But one-way, that's a stretch...
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote