Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2020, 08:16 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Beautiful rig AirMiles. Nice weights too.

Dan
TouringDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
Here’s a picture of my 2019 F250 Diesel with my 2018 27' Globetrotter attached with weight tickets. This picture is with my Propride 1400# hitch.
That IS a good looking rig. Last fall we traded our Tundra for a 2019 F-350 PSD and our 23D for a 28RBT FC. Alumalina was our first stop (other than overnight at Cracker Barrel) on the way home from picking up the new AS in NJ. We love the combo. Now that we’re retired we’ve got a lot of trips lined up starting with Farm Life.😀

Sorry if this turns out sideways.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC12D1D8-50BE-4C6A-A938-B79B236A7F99.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	603.6 KB
ID:	360016  
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #143
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
What size bolts and nuts did u use to replace the window rock guard 1/4 turn fasteners?
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #144
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
North Lauderdale , Florida
Did you consider any other options to secure the cables to the roof? Looks like you used tie wraps with the adhesive base. I used silver AC tape on mine and I had to replace it once. I now have to do it again (12 months later). I like your set up. Just wondering why you chose that over something else.
Lag323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:23 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I used cable tie mounts as well. Note that these are not all created equal. I used Panduit weather/UV resistant ones, not cheap ones from a big box store. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T64TDY..._yKOfFb66QQS6Y

Silver AC tape isn’t something that would likely stand up to the extremes of an AS roof.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #146
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
North Lauderdale , Florida
That AC tape has not held up at all. Panduit is a great brand for this application. I've also ordered some EternaBond White Mobile Home RV Rubber Roof Tape.

Thanks for the info and safe travels
Lag323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #147
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chillicothe , IL
How did you separate the 2 regulators?
hawkimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:12 PM   #148

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Germantown , Tennessee
Quote:
Question: How do you connect your Champion Dual Fuel Generator to your Airstream?

I've read that some people just make a hose to plug it in without the large fuel controller and adjust the fuel mix with the 1/4 turn shut off valve. But I feel you need to keep the fuel controller to adjust the fuel mix. It took me two attempts to make it work.

My first attempt was to just make a 10' extension hose with a male LP tank connection on one end and a female LP tank connection on the other. I just connected this extension hose between the AS propane tank and the hose that came with the generator with the fuel controller with the 2" high-to-low pressure regulator. This setup did not work. There was too much restriction through the double tank connectors, so occasionally the generator would fuel starve after a short run (60 seconds). This hose is not pictured since it didn't work.

My second attempt (see picture) was to connect directly to the AS quick disconnect. I removed the small 2" high-to-low propane regulator from the larger fuel controller. I obtained the fittings to connect the rubber hose directly to where the 2" regulator was removed. On the other end of the hose, I added the fittings to terminate the hose with a male compression fitting. Then I made two different options to connect to the male compression fitting.

Option 1) I added a female-to-female compression fitting, another male compression fitting and then the male quick disconnect fitting needed to connect to the AS quick disconnect port. With this option I run the generator from the AS quick disconnect port.

Option 2) I bought an standard LP gas grill replacement hose with a female compression fitting on one end and an LP tank regulator connection on the other. I can remove the female-to-female compression fitting from Option 1 and connect to this standard LP gas grill hose (the short one in the picture). With this option I run the generator from a standard propane bottle.

My second attempt has been working perfectly and is pictured below.
I know it’s been a few years since the original post, but I’ve been trying to duplicate Option #1, and my Champion won’t run. I’ve kept the larger regulator intact as specified in the original post, and I’ve tried both “low-flow” and “full-flow” male quick-connect adapters to connect to my Flying Cloud, but no luck. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance!
trailrsailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #149
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
fittings and connections for propane connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrsailr View Post
I know it’s been a few years since the original post, but I’ve been trying to duplicate Option #1, and my Champion won’t run. I’ve kept the larger regulator intact as specified in the original post, and I’ve tried both “low-flow” and “full-flow” male quick-connect adapters to connect to my Flying Cloud, but no luck. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance!

I've attached the pictures of my set up. I separated the 2 regulators, I forget what was between them, but you can see in the 2 close up pictures the yellow tape and the fittings I used. The first 2 pics are the regulator you Dont need for the air stream. The bottom 2 actually clips to the gen--I just set it on top of the propane cylinder because it was quicker to get a picture. thats the connection that will plug into your trailer quick connect fitting.

The Quick connects (like on your airstream) I bought off amazon, the other fittings I took the pieces to my commercial hose distributor. I'm sorry that sounds vague but my hose distributor and I have a 30 year working relation, I had the luxury of taking the pieces in and saying I need to go from /This-to-That/ PM me I think I might have some extra quick connects and I probably be more specific in describing the fittings.

the top Pic is just a NPT reducer/adapter to go from the smaller size regulator to the female quick connect

the bottom picture fittings I would describe as (from left to right)
nipple-union-npt/hose flare fitting-hose supplied by champion-male quick connect(not in pic)

The hose from the gen to the "clip-on-regulator" was not modified.

I can run the gen off the trailer or a 25lb bottle (if I so choose) Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	393929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	393930  

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	393931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	393932  

Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:58 AM   #150
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Ashby , Massachusetts
Quote:
Question: How do you connect your Champion Dual Fuel Generator to your Airstream?

I've read that some people just make a hose to plug it in without the large fuel controller and adjust the fuel mix with the 1/4 turn shut off valve. But I feel you need to keep the fuel controller to adjust the fuel mix. It took me two attempts to make it work.

My first attempt was to just make a 10' extension hose with a male LP tank connection on one end and a female LP tank connection on the other. I just connected this extension hose between the AS propane tank and the hose that came with the generator with the fuel controller with the 2" high-to-low pressure regulator. This setup did not work. There was too much restriction through the double tank connectors, so occasionally the generator would fuel starve after a short run (60 seconds). This hose is not pictured since it didn't work.

My second attempt (see picture) was to connect directly to the AS quick disconnect. I removed the small 2" high-to-low propane regulator from the larger fuel controller. I obtained the fittings to connect the rubber hose directly to where the 2" regulator was removed. On the other end of the hose, I added the fittings to terminate the hose with a male compression fitting. Then I made two different options to connect to the male compression fitting.

Option 1) I added a female-to-female compression fitting, another male compression fitting and then the male quick disconnect fitting needed to connect to the AS quick disconnect port. With this option I run the generator from the AS quick disconnect port.

Option 2) I bought an standard LP gas grill replacement hose with a female compression fitting on one end and an LP tank regulator connection on the other. I can remove the female-to-female compression fitting from Option 1 and connect to this standard LP gas grill hose (the short one in the picture). With this option I run the generator from a standard propane bottle.

My second attempt has been working perfectly and is pictured below.
Thanks for the diagram and posting your method/results. I just picked up a Champion 4500W Dual Fuel and want to to hook to our AS low pressure port. The newer model (200988) doesn't have the in-line large safety valve (may be built into the generator) only the smaller circular regulator and the quick connect to the generator. I've connected directly to one of the trailer tanks using the Champion hose for break-in but I'm headed on a long trip southwest and some dispersed camping where a generator will be needed. How would that modify your Option 2? Thanks!
my3sons_nh is offline   Reply With Quote