Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
STILL LEARNING!!

2004 25' Classic
BORREGO SPRINGS , California
On the road with a rearview camera

Wife and I live on the Olympic Peninsula so most of our road trips are fairly short as much to do and see on OR. WA coast and Canada. We are also fairly new to towing/long distance trips. Our TV is a 99 two door, half ton Tahoe with our 25' classic......We don't go very fast and use all the gears but still like the setup.

That said, I have made several improvements over the years to the AS but recently put in a Coolwoo rear view camera.......WOW..!!...what huge
difference it makes with my driving comfort/confidence.

I hardwired it for dependability with our setup. Just snaked the wire bow to stern using the air duct shafts as much as possible. As I still have a bit of a phobia regarding piercing the skin ext or int, in the rear, I drilled out enough width at the bottom of the rear window handle slide and mounted the camera up and center in the gap between the screen and the window.
In the bow, I ran the wire under the couch and out the battery compartment. Similar snake job back to front on the Tahoe. I have kept the 7" screen loose
and just set it into our storage box front and center. under the dash.......sooooo, just unplug and remove when not towing......electric of course comes from the DC/cig plug.

We just finished a 1300 m trip to Coachella Valley area and rear-cam was super super helpful.....ALL functioned well except for rear window needs to be free of condensation or camera shows aliens on the screen (!!).

Just wanted to share as seems so far to be a great/simple/dependable fix for older units...Coolwoo was $100+ on Amazon.
streamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Definitely makes a difference while driving. Thankfully mine came with it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Spoiled now...wouldn't tow without one...😃

I used Velcro to attach the camera. 👍
Brought the wire thru the window and powered the wifi thru a 12v power port behind the center credenza using a lighted switch.

No holes drilled, and easy removal for winter storage.
Plus I don't need any lights on to power the camera.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02323.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	330305   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c4d.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	330306  

Old 12-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Brought the wire thru the window...
How did you do that? Between the window and seal? Don't see it well in the picture.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Interesting McGivering set up, nice.

Just FYI to anyone new to this subject, and thinking about getting one: YES get one it’s really worth it.

However, they are actually “back up cameras” not rear view. They are very wide angle lenses, which means vehicles 100 ft back or so almost don’t show up on your view screen. Be very careful not to change lanes without analyzing all your mirrors for traffic: like speed demons & speeding motorcycles.
Marchitect is offline   Reply With Quote