Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Off to see the ocean

Well, it's been a year in the planning. I'm off tomorrow to head west to California and more. The trailer is prepped and packed, the Excursion is fueled, and all that's left is to load the animals and me to head out. This is our planned trip route.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MapImage.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	62473

I want to thank everyone who, over the last 18 months or so, have offered me so many great suggestions and route advice. All of y'all have helped me to plan what I think will be a great trip. I'll keep everyone informed as often as I can; as well as trying my hand at a blog where most of my pictures will be posted to. If I am in your area please feel free to drop by. There's always a cold beer available and a warm howdy at the trailer.

_________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Looks like a neat trip...do you have a link to your blog or itinerary...looks like you may be passing through Colorado and MT. Are you going to the International Rally? We may cross paths ~

Travel safe!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
ocean

Tom, are you going to use Pacific Coast Hwy 1 along the California coast? That's my dream too. The last time I was through there I saw some streamers on a small patch of asphalt parallel to the beach. Way cool! Sending good Karma from Texas as you leave.
paula
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You're going to really enjoy your trip. Especially the Pacific Coast Hwy!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
You're going to really enjoy your trip. Especially the Pacific Coast Hwy!
PCH is gorgeous.. but the curves never end! Stay well rested when traveling this portion because it will wear you down and you won't be able to enjoy the scenery.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Looks like a neat trip...do you have a link to your blog or itinerary...looks like you may be passing through Colorado and MT. Are you going to the International Rally? We may cross paths ~

Travel safe!

Shari

Shari,

I'll post the link to the blog after my DW decides who is going to be its' administrator. We will be in Hungry Horse, MT towards the 3rd or 4th week of July. From there we head to Colorado Springs. If we cross paths I'll wave and blink my lights.

tom

Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasa View Post
Tom, are you going to use Pacific Coast Hwy 1 along the California coast? That's my dream too. The last time I was through there I saw some streamers on a small patch of asphalt parallel to the beach. Way cool! Sending good Karma from Texas as you leave.
paula
Paula,

We will be on the Pacific Coast Hwy from Morro Bay, Ca to San Francisco. At San Francisco we travel the 101, based on the strong urgings of members of this forum, to Benbow, CA where we will then return to the PCH up into Oregon. Thanks for th Karma, you can never have too much.

______Tom

Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbassador View Post
PCH is gorgeous.. but the curves never end! Stay well rested when traveling this portion because it will wear you down and you won't be able to enjoy the scenery.

I've been told to expect not going faster than 45 mph for most of this leg, and seeing the yellow stripe more than the Ocean. My daily legs are not that long to minimize any difficulties, less than 200 miles per leg.

_______Tom

Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
What a great trip you have planned! I live in San Luis Obispo, where you will pick up Highway 1 for your trip up the coast. This is truly a beautiful stretch of road... you'll love it. The advice you received regarding the trip north from San Francisco is very accurate... you'll be glad you planned that portion as you did. Have a great trip, and keep all of us here on the Forum posted. Pics if you can.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbassador View Post
If he's anything like me, he'll be stopping every twenty minutes to look at something

When I last travelled the PCH I did it by bicycle, so I was really spoiled in being able to enjoy the views fully.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529 View Post
Paula,

We will be on the Pacific Coast Hwy from Morro Bay, Ca to San Francisco. At San Francisco we travel the 101, based on the strong urgings of members of this forum, to Benbow, CA where we will then return to the PCH up into Oregon. Thanks for th Karma, you can never have too much.

______Tom
When will you be in Morro Bay, Tom? Are you staying at Morro Bay State Park campground?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
When will you be in Morro Bay, Tom? Are you staying at Morro Bay State Park campground?
We'll be in Morro Bay from 6/30-7/6. I tried to get reservations at the State Park using the online system, and failed. My mistake was not making them in December since our arrival was in June. I waited until Jan 2 and they were booked by the time I logged on.

I was able to get reservations at Morro Dunes. I understand the state park is the preferred place, but the people at Morro Dunes were very nice to work with. Originally, they could only get me a spot through 7/2, but they called me back in March to tell me that I had a spot for the whole time I wanted to be there. They even went so far as to tell me that if better spaces became available they would put me there. So, I'll go play golf at the state park, but we'll sleep at Morro Dunes.

_____Tom

Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Reservations at Morro Bay SP on the 4th of July weekend are tough to get...especially the one's with hook-ups. We will be there at a boondock site over 4th of July weekend with the AS. We have some relatives visiting from Calgary and some local relatives (no kids!) who will be tenting at the site. Come by and have a beer or two!

Also the City of Morro Bay puts on a fireworks display on the 4th which is pretty good if it's not foggy which happens quite a bit.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Wow, what a trip!! I'll be looking forward to reading about it. (Nice map, too). One question, though. As a truck driver these routes are all ones I followed, with some exceptions. Is it a matter of time, to & fro, to the coast? I realize your plans are locked in at this point, but I'd like to understand, if I may. These are all heavy commercial traffic lanes, so I wondered. (Albeit, they are also "fast").

Good luck. Will be curious too, about fuel consumption for the various legs (if you keep that sort of record), I enjoy having something to compare to, so your experience is invaluable to this armchair traveler.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Good luck on your trip! You have a great route and I hope you have plenty of time to go slow and enjoy everything you see! One bit of advice from a California gal... as you near Northern California (within 200 miles of the Oregon border...) consider "waiting" to fuel up until you cross the Oregon border. California has a hefty gas tax...and unless you are running diesel the fuel in Oregon is often much cheaper... up to 40 cents a gallon in some places! Then, before you get to Washington, fill up in Oregon again... Washington prices are higher too...

The southern route you have planned is great... but might be "hot"! Hope you post oodles of pictures! Have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My new blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
Good luck on your trip! You have a great route and I hope you have plenty of time to go slow and enjoy everything you see! One bit of advice from a California gal... as you near Northern California (within 200 miles of the Oregon border...) consider "waiting" to fuel up until you cross the Oregon border. California has a hefty gas tax...and unless you are running diesel the fuel in Oregon is often much cheaper... up to 40 cents a gallon in some places! Then, before you get to Washington, fill up in Oregon again... Washington prices are higher too...

The southern route you have planned is great... but might be "hot"! Hope you post oodles of pictures! Have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My new blog: Yreka History
Well, I'm burning diesel so I'm stuck with California's 5.15 a gallon or more. I'm in Clovis, NM today and fuel here is 4.69. The trip up from San Angelo was a surprise. Green grass, and cool (76 - 86) temps all the way to Clovis. Not a West Texas summer. It must be Paula's karma that she gave me. I had also forgotten about just how many feedlots they have between Lubbock and Clovis. Very aromatic!

Clovis is not really a photo-op kind of town. So I'll wait for the pics. I'm also going to work on getting the blog linked here.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Gallup, NM where there's a bit more altitude, and maybe the cool weather will follow me.

Not sure what "southern" route you're referring to. For me that would have meant El Paso through Phoenix etc., and I'm never in the mood for 105-115 temps all the way past Needles. This is the coolest route I can take.

________Tom

Old 06-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Wow, what a trip!! I'll be looking forward to reading about it. (Nice map, too). One question, though. As a truck driver these routes are all ones I followed, with some exceptions. Is it a matter of time, to & fro, to the coast? I realize your plans are locked in at this point, but I'd like to understand, if I may. These are all heavy commercial traffic lanes, so I wondered. (Albeit, they are also "fast").

Good luck. Will be curious too, about fuel consumption for the various legs (if you keep that sort of record), I enjoy having something to compare to, so your experience is invaluable to this armchair traveler.
Red,

Crossing east to west in New Mexico you are really limited to the Interstates. If I took the southern route, I10, the temps would not dip below 100 until after I got into California. This route has more altitude, and the temps haven't passed 93, hotter as we get well into summer. When I got up this morning in Clovis it was 64. I arrived in Gallup and it's 83, and supposed to go down to 46 overnight. Then Flagstaff, and more cool. My hot days will be from Flagstaff to Victorville, CA. My mileage has been a steady 13mpg, except for the wind I incountered between San Angelo and Clovis and that was 12mpg.

With the animals I have to be aware of the heat. To get out of Texas takes 2 days, and I chose a shorter route. Even if it was only 80 miles less than if I had gone to El Paso. Diesel in Gallup was 4.55 p/g; that's 17c cheaper than it was in Clovis.

I40 is in bad shape, and the traffic was almost always under the 75mph speed limit. When I could I drove at 65. They've got lane closures all the way across the State, and that slowed everyone down.

Looking forward to Flagstaff tomorrow. I rest my body, the trailer, and the Ex after 4 travel days. I'll get a chance to visit some cliff dwellings and take some pics. I'll be there for 4 days, and then head west again.

_____Tom

Old 06-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
That will give it time to cool down here in CA. It's been over 100 in most places including the coast. A cooling trend begins tomorrow according to the weather guy.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Great Trip!

You will love PCH and the many beachfront boondocking spots. Ask forgiveness and be ready to take off if they mess with you--We have been very fortunate over the years. I find it to be much easier heading south because you don't need to turn around to face the door west. The powers that can mess with you--envy you--and with good communication and a good attitude will let you be. Have a great trip!
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
That will give it time to cool down here in CA. It's been over 100 in most places including the coast. A cooling trend begins tomorrow according to the weather guy.
Dave
Wow, the heat is why I'm leaving Texas! I hope it returns to normal in a week. I've been lucky with cool weather, and missing the storms so far. Oh well, if it's hot it will just feel like home.

__________Tom