Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

I almost agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Usually bluegrass pickin' is an intimate unplugged setting.
You can't even hear ir 50 feet away.
I guess not everyone is a music lover. I've actually heard people say, "I don't like music."
I can't imagine.
YES…Intimate and unplugged. But you will surely hear us at 50 feet. Oddly, the bass which is relatively quiet up close, is the only instrument you hear at say 200 feet. ( It has to do with the bass having a very long sine wave. The same reason that you hear the thumping bass of a boom box car from a half a mile away )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If I were in my trsiler with the a/c and television on I wouldn't even know y'all were out there.
Is that why there are 5-6 guitars for 1 banjo, fiddle, mandolin, and bass?
Or is the guitar simply more prevalent as an instrument?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Im sure this has been referred to elsewhere but below is a link to a pretty nifty website that we use all of time for actual photos of individual campsites. Growing all of the time and if you have a few dedicated campers willing to post photos (like in our area of SC) it can be very helpful.

http://www.campsitephotos.com

Steve
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
YES…Intimate and unplugged. But you will surely hear us at 50 feet. Oddly, the bass which is relatively quiet up close, is the only instrument you hear at say 200 feet. ( It has to do with the bass having a very long sine wave. The same reason that you hear the thumping bass of a boom box car from a half a mile away )

It's not the music you hear at a distance-
It's the trash talking, joking, laughing, guffawing that gets a little loud-
Why is it they always gotta tell jokes while tuning up or between songs?
I guess that's just part of it, along with the fiddle in the overhead locker and banjo in the tub in the trailer-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Town , Iowa
Ultimate Campgrounds website and app. Very useful interactive site of all public campgrounds from Federal to City municipalities. Use it often. Give it an eye.
TinTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #26
WyoGal

2015 25' FB International
Laramie , Wyoming
Has anyone been to First Landing, Va SP? Pix, please.... ��
Evelyn Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #27
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
The OP asked for ways to identify campgrounds off the beaten path. There have been several good things mentioned in this thread for general purpose usage on identifying campgrounds. Several things that came up are 1) using satellite images to cross-reference campground maps to see where the campground is located and proximity of campsites, 2) avoiding in-season holidays and that may mean Thanksgiving in some locales, 3) various smart phone apps and 4) a variety of web sites.

I suggest we try to stay on subject and comment on methods of identifying campgrounds "off the beaten path" rather than ask specific questions about specific campgrounds although some of that information may be helpful, particularly if you've used a certain methodology to identify what you consider to be a good campground.

No, I'm not a moderator and yes, I have made myself the Air Forums police for a moment . Here are several useful web sites and apps that I noticed earlier in the thread. Feel free to update the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
campendium.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTop View Post
Ultimate Campgrounds website and app.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Reno , Nevada
We rarely stay in commercial camp grounds. There are all kinds of web sites which offer off the beaten paths campgrounds or inexpensive campgrounds. We usually try to dry camp off the beaten path. Check out Escapees RV club and their Days End directory.
Claudiaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #29
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Maybe the best resource is once you settle on a destination, to put it out there on a new thread, and ask the locals & habituals what they would recommend. Generally, smaller is better. Rural or small town is better. If you have a copy of the Good Sam guide (kind of like a huge Yellow Pages of campgrounds in the US & Canada) you can get a fair bit of information from their RV park descriptions.

Are you OK with boondocking, or do you want full hook-ups? National Park campgrounds usually have on-site water and a sani-dump, typically have some vegetation screening between sites, and you can't beat the scenery.

If you really want more back-of-beyond camping, Colorado is loaded with US Forest Service campgrounds. If you just google the forest of interest, their website should identify their campgrounds (often very primitive, and some are on rough roads, though, so it's best to check ahead.) The Forest Service usually allows dispersed camping unless areas are posted to the contrary.

You are a stone's throw from the red rock canyons of Utah. You can check with BLM field office sites (such as Moab, Price, and Monticello) for their campgrounds and dispersed camping options. We spent a wonderful 5 days in October near the BLM San Rafael Bridge campground in a dispersed campsite in Buckhorn Draw in the North San Rafael Swell. (Price field office, area north of I-70 between Salina and Green River, UT.) Beautiful scenery and very few people. Just bring lots of water, as this is "dry" camping.

These more natural campsites are out there-- despite so many commercial RV parks being just parking lots for tightly-packed big rigs.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudiaj View Post
We rarely stay in commercial camp grounds. There are all kinds of web sites which offer off the beaten paths campgrounds or inexpensive campgrounds. We usually try to dry camp off the beaten path. Check out Escapees RV club and their Days End directory.
Days End directory is currently over 800 pages long and is a cornucopia of inexpensive camping. It is available to Escapee members only; an initial $10 gets you an annual membership to Days End - however, if you provide feedback and suggest new locations, the points apply to your renewal. FWIW, I joined about 9 years ago and have not had to pay for a renewal since (still have a bank of points )
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
But maybe you might like camping next to me.

I like camping with you Dave.

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote