Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The ONLY downside we found to traveling in Canada vs. the U.S. was the lack of nearly ubiquitous internet access for ourselves via our phones or hotspot. Our Verizon phones were on a plan that gave us unlimited text and 1,000 minutes per month of phone usage while in Canada (and Mexico) but no internet. Consequently, we missed the easy access to internet coverage from the car to, for example, use Allstays to find a campground. That meant that we had to get our internet research done at a campground before we left (we actually found that most CG's in the Maritimes had pretty good internet coverage) or go to a Tim Hortons, McDonalds or other similar establishment to use their wifi. We were surprised (shocked?) at how dependent we have become on our ubiquitous internet access through out the U.S. and how much we missed it! This was very frustrating because we knew that pretty much everywhere our phones had 3G and LTE coverage (which was most everywhere) there was wonderful internet bandwidth that we could not access without paying an arm and a leg for it.

This is not a technology issue but rather a billing or corporate policy issue. I wish that there was a reasonably priced internet plan for short-term cross-border travelers as there is for phone and text. Our Canadian friends find the same situation when they travel in the U.S.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post

This is not a technology issue but rather a billing or corporate policy issue. I wish that there was a reasonably priced internet plan for short-term cross-border travelers as there is for phone and text. Our Canadian friends find the same situation when they travel in the U.S.
Yes sad but true. We Canadians have the same issues. I took out a 100GB add on to my plan last October and used it up in 3 days! After that I just turned the phone off and went old school.. That is where it helps that you did your homework ahead of time and have directions and maps printed out. It might cost a couple of trees, but there is nothing more aggravating than being lost. And when out east the name stay WiFi places a far and few between. If you're in Quebec you have the additional language barrier, which is frustrating enough. Also, I am not aware of any government run parks that have WiFi. And those at most camp grounds are so poor that they are virtually useless (that goes for both sides of the border).
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
Also, I am not aware of any government run parks that have WiFi. And those at most camp grounds are so poor that they are virtually useless (that goes for both sides of the border).
You are correct about the government run parks in Canada (and the U.S. as well) generally not having wifi, although Fundy NP did have wifi by the camp office if you didn't mind huddling around an outside picnic table with the other addicts. For a variety of unimportant reasons, we stayed mostly in private CG's while in the Maritimes last summer and found that most of them did have pretty good wifi. In the U.S. we have our Verizon mifi hotspot that works very well unless we are really "out there."
Old 01-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Cell Phones in Nova Scotia and PEI

What is the most reasonable way to obtain a cell phone in NS and PEI ? Our US plan is not a good option due to cost. Thank you. Jack
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, we have the successor to mifi, though I think it is the same thing with a different name (and quite expensive)—a box that is really a cell phone for data only and it sends out a wifi signal to our laptops and iPad so we can access the internet anywhere Verizon has cell towers or an agreement with another company.

Does that work in Canada? How much more does Verizon soak you for that? Over the last 15 years, cellphone coverage in Canada and Alaska has increased substantially and our cellphone worked better each time we went north. Canadian campground in the far north mostly had better wifi than many campgrounds in the US. But we didn't have the Verizon data system yet, so I don't know how well it works in Canada.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Bob,

Things seemed to have changed a lot in the cross border telecommunication fileld since I had all the trouble the winter of 2011 in your country. ( AT&T would not accept payment from a Canadian based credit card for an iPad plan)

Now 30 day 'pay as you go' type plans are available in both countries.

I bought one in Fargo, N.D. last October and another one in Erie, PA in December from AT&T.

In Canada you could have purchased a 30 day iPad plan from BELL for $15/20/35/45, depending on how many GB you want.

30-Day Pass for iPad & iPad mini from Bell Mobility

From ATT I bought the basic $30 plan that they offer. It was more than enough coverage. The only place I found NO SERVICE was occasionally in remote Virginian Appalachia.

There might be some spotty coverage in Eastern Canada as well, but not along the main highways.

Sergei
Old 01-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Bob,

Things seemed to have changed a lot in the cross border telecommunication fileld since I had all the trouble the winter of 2011 in your country. ( AT&T would not accept payment from a Canadian based credit card for an iPad plan)

Now 30 day 'pay as you go' type plans are available in both countries.

I bought one in Fargo, N.D. last October and another one in Erie, PA in December from AT&T.

In Canada you could have purchased a 30 day iPad plan from BELL for $15/20/35/45, depending on how many GB you want.

30-Day Pass for iPad & iPad mini from Bell Mobility

From ATT I bought the basic $30 plan that they offer. It was more than enough coverage. The only place I found NO SERVICE was occasionally in remote Virginian Appalachia.

There might be some spotty coverage in Eastern Canada as well, but not along the main highways.

Sergei
Thanks, Sergei! I'll give Bell Canada a call next time we plan to be over the border.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Keswick , VA
We were on PEI, Cape Breton, and Fundy in September. We did reserve ahead. On PEI we stayed at a very nice campground right on the Gulf of St.Lawrence in Darley. The campground had several kilometers of very nice beach associated with it. We swam and paddled kayaks directly from the campground. Interestingly the CG seems to place all Airstreams in one location. It was really fun to meet others and get ideas of places to visit. The fort in Louisburg, NS was not on our itinerary but we made a trip based on recommendation from another Airstreamer. Really glad we did! I would highly recommend it. Like gator.bf we also took the ferry to NS instead of going back across the bridge. In september it was full and we booked ahead. If you go to Fundy we must have stayed at the same CG as gator.bf @ Hopewell Rocks. We walked on the floor of the bay at low tide and paddled our kayaks through the arches and around the teapots at high tide (47') just a few hours later. We also had a diesel and really no problems finding fuel. But I would recommend that you use a credit card does not charge a foreign surcharge fee for each transaction. We mistakenly used the wrong card and racked up more fees than we wanted to! Have fun. I would go back in a heartbeat, but this year heading to Idaho for 6 weeks.
herkvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
When we went to Canada in 2010 the only credit card that did not pile on charges was Capital One. That's why I got their card. I'm not sure if there are any others now. If you are going to be there a while, do a search and check. When you exchange money at a bank, they stick it to you as well. A lot of stores and campgrounds will take US money, but watch how they do the exchange rate. This morning the Canadian dollar was 74.5¢ US.

Gene

Old 01-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
For a little adventure, and about a 5 mile long gravel road, be sure to go to Meat Cove at the north tip of Nova Scotia. Magical. Cool campground (no hook-ups).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4941.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	231353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4943.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	231354  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4965.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	231355  
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Enjoying this thread & plan on potential 2015 visit!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Schwab bank cards are also international fee free.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
When we went to Canada in 2010 the only credit card that did not pile on charges was Capital One. That's why I got their card. I'm not sure if there are any others now. If you are going to be there a while, do a search and check. When you exchange money at a bank, they stick it to you as well. A lot of stores and campgrounds will take US money, but watch how they do the exchange rate. This morning the Canadian dollar was 74.5¢ US.

Gene

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jpons, when I checked into credit cards, the Schwab bank card was also free, but by the time I tried to apply for it, they had just discontinued the card and Capital One was the only one left.

Since I have other Schwab accounts, I think I'd know via promotional stuff they'd send me if they offered a card again. Maybe you are grandfathered.

Gene

Old 02-07-2015, 04:49 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I do all my banking and have my brokerage accounts with Schwab, and still have my cards. Maybe like you said I am grandfathered because of my accounts. Schwab has been the best banking brokerage house I have ever dealt with.

-J

Quote:
Jpons, when I checked into credit cards, the Schwab bank card was also free, but by the time I tried to apply for it, they had just discontinued the card and Capital One was the only one left.

Since I have other Schwab accounts, I think I'd know via promotional stuff they'd send me if they offered a card again. Maybe you are grandfathered.

Gene

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
I do all my banking and have my brokerage accounts with Schwab, and still have my cards. Maybe like you said I am grandfathered because of my accounts. Schwab has been the best banking brokerage house I have ever dealt with.

-J Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I have a Schwab debit card tied to my Schwab Bank account, perhaps that is what you are referring to? it's not a credit card but I believe that itis free of international surcharges and works just like a Visa card. Also, it has the "chip" which means you can use it like a "native."
Old 02-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I have both, but rarely use the credit card mostly the debit card. And yes no international fees on the debit card either.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I have a Schwab debit card tied to my Schwab Bank account, perhaps that is what you are referring to? it's not a credit card but I believe that itis free of international surcharges and works just like a Visa card. Also, it has the "chip" which means you can use it like a "native."
Old 02-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #37
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Debit cards have more liability for the card holder than credit cards. If a bank gives them to us, we shred them.

Gene

Old 02-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Debit cards have more liability for the card holder than credit cards. If a bank gives them to us, we shred them.

Gene
I use my debit cards only at an ATM for this very reason. Visa credit everywhere else so I can rack up the Amazon points.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We traveled the Canadian Maritimes last summer and loved every minute of it. Read about our travels starting here on the Barefootdog.com.
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Bob, are you going up there again in 2015? .....or is this a continuation of an earlier trip? We are going up there in early June and I have another thread going on this to include NFL and Gaspe. I will reread your thread for more ideas and tips and would like to pick your brain if permitted.
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote