Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Not Traveling as Much?

As the news is reporting less people traveling due to the cost of fuel, I have been wondering just how true it is for RVers. Starting the middle of June I'll be on the road for two months. This trip has been in the works for well over a year now. When I started planning I alloted $3.45 a gallon for diesel. Today my estimate is $4.75, and that's probably low.

Other threads on traveling this summer on the Pacific Coast Hwy have had suggestions to make reservations early due to summer travelers. I've made my reservations, and the places that I feared crowds presented no problems. LA, Marina, San Francisco, Benbow through Portland. The only place that had to work to get me in was Hungry Horse, MT just outside Glacier NP. That was the place I thought would see the end result of high fuel prices. I talked with them about it, and they agreed that they were indeed seeing a drop off in reservations from previous years. This was the first of May, and they said that if I had called the same time last year that they would have been full.

I'm wondering what other travelers are experiencing. Are the roads beginning to fill up with travelers, are is there a noticeable decrease in traffic?

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We live near Interstate 5 North of Los Angeles City but still in L.A. County. I still see tons of RV's on the freeway and on the streets locally. I don't see any less traveling.

We are still going somewhere at least once a month but as boondockers RV park reservations are something we can't comment on.

There are still lots of others we see out in the desert so I suspect just as many folks are still getting away.

How far from home they are going may be the question. For us we can get out to boondock all by ourselves in the wilderness and get home on one tank of diesel.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
We were out for 10 days but only about 130 miles from home. Most of the others in the RV park were over-nighters and fell into the "Snow-bird" category. They were heading north after having wintered in the warmer climes.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #4

1979 31' Sovereign
Rogersville , Missouri
Smile On the Road

We just got back from a trip to Illinois, 370 miles one way. We saw quite a few RV's on the way, only one AS and they seemed really glad to see us. The gas was a little steep up that way with regular running 399.9 and diesel at 479.9. We spent 8 days out and when you compare the price of a hotel and gas for a car to camper and TV we came out way ahead.

Have a great day...

Tim

Where there is a will, there is a way!
T_4_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As ya'll know, South Texas is a "winter bird" haven. On tonights news, (my wife was watching), a local winter bird (they usually fly away at April 1st), was complaining about the price of fuel as it would [quote] "cost me $3,000 to return to Rhode Island". I found that number about incomprehensible and did the math: Corpus Christi to Providence is 2,024-miles. $3,000 in fuel (at $5-gal) is 3.37 mpg. No one is that bad off. I used to drive OTR and never got less than 6-mpg at above 78,000# gross.

So, let's try round-trip: 4,048-miles = 6.74 mpg. Still not believable. Think maybe somebody was drinking the gas money [beer] before the TV reporter showed up.

The point was that fixed-income folks are feeling stranded. I have a hard time imagining how anyone could plan some sort of retirement and NOT figure in increased fuel price for, I guess, a seven or eight year period of driving around. In other words, where is the cut-off point?

Then, they go out a buy a big sloppy fifth wheel box and a dually diesel (what, $80 or $100,000 tied up what with miscellaneous costs?) AND HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT THAT THEY COULD BE S.O.L. IF PRICES ROSE? This beggars belief. I'm no good at a lot of things, but, whew, that's tough to believe.

I understand about the roundtrip costs being high, but, shoot, sell the old home place, put a few things in storage (and eventually buy a condo or into assisted living at that time) and GO!!!

But, to be smart, do it in a rig that CAN achieve good mpg if the tow rig can be one those CAN AM prepped babies. Best of both worlds: Independently-suspended TV and TT plus high teens towing and mid-20's solo.

Leave the junk at home. Slides, 10,000 toys and 100-gal fuel tanks ain't the deal if you can't ante the $500 fillup every 1,100 miles or so.

Better to have decreased that FIXED cost by 30% with a more sensible rig.

And -- since I'm on the rant box -- I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Ever have a look from the inside to the out on one of these boxes -- triple slide, 16,000-lb gvwr -- shoot, you can hardly see out of them. What's the point of being outdoors if you won't enjoy it? God forbid their TVs quit working.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
I think as y'all do that there are still cost savings when compared to a hotel, and eating out all of the time. If things go as planned I'm looking in the neighborhood of $150 a day. That's still a good price for a trip.

When I was in the Davis Mtns and Big Bend in April, I saw plenty of RV's in the parks and on the road. The RV parks weren't full, but they weren't empty either. I guess that my DW is right when she states that I plan further ahead than a sane person. I'll just stick with the assumption that Summer traffic will be just about as always.

________Tom

Old 05-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We have been out in our AS since April 28th and currently in Salkum, WA. During this time we have only seen one park that was a little crowded but not full and that was Pacific City, OR. The rest of the parks we have stayed at were less than half full. The travelers we have talked with are staying parked longer between legs. A few work from their trailers so they have a write off. Most are in tune with the current price of fuel and shop for the best price.

The only problems we have encounter with park reservations was at Yellowstorne for the July 4th weekend. We were unable to get into Fishing Bridge but did get into one of the other sites inside the park.

I feel for those on fixed incomes because they are having a difficult time and no control over the fuel prices.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
not us!

We won't be traveling far this year, a few local fishing weekends and the rally in August. My husband's brother and wife have started full-timing this year, and have stated that they are going to pull it into a park and that's where they will stay for at least this year, maybe only going south for warmer weather this winter as it is too expensive to fill their Ford 350 diesel and travel much.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We are heading off on Tuesday from Miami to Maine via Michigan (The 3M Tour). Will I whimper quietly every time I refuel my TV? You betcha. Will I then brood on it and curse all the evil speculators and OPEC and the Congress and the Girl Scouts etc. etc. etc? Nope, not a chance.

I'm going Airstreaming.

Worth every penny.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Does Airstream make a tent?
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We have been tearing up the roads for 2 weeks and have not seen a full campground yet. All of the sites in the Tetons and Yellowstone reported daily that they were not full, an oddity from talking with the camphosts. I'm sure the weather and snow had some effect but in most cases, they didn't even have all of the loops open so I'd estimate they still have 60% open capacity.
A real blessing for traveling with no-reservations
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
My guess is that those of us who really enjoy getting out are still going to do so... But we may change the way we do it...we will probably not go as far; we'll drive slower; we'll think about the stuff we're hauling; and we'll probably stay longer in a given place between legs of the trip...but we will probably not stay home. I'm just glad we are not driving a huge truck and dragging a SOB down the road...a nice aerodynamic AS is a good thing in these times!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
We've definitely cut back on the distance we're traveling this year. Last year we put over 10,000 miles on between 3 long trips. This year our longest trip is to Yellowstone which is only 500 miles away for us. I'd say we'll tow somewhere around 3,000 - 3,500 miles this year, but we are lucky to live where we do and have so much around us. I've seen very few campgrounds full so far this year as we went through the np systems in southern Utah for 10 days. Locally we have 4 campgrounds around lake Dillon with only 1 open due to the removal of trees from pine beetle kill. I've been to the one that's open twice and it wasn't close to being full. We have a lot fewer early season campers then normal.
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Interestingly enough, I noticed that all of the preceding comments were from folks in relatively warm climate areas. It's not the fuel for our vehicles that's worrying most of us here in the Northern areas - it's the price of heating fuel for our homes! My heating fuel costs last year - for a new and highly efficient home were $2,375.00. That represents an average price of around $2.79/gal. This year, the cost is already approaching $4.79/gal for a net increase of $1,702.00. The older, and often highly inefficient homes, can easily see double that increase - and all too many of these older homes are occupied by people who can ill-afford the increase. Yesterday, one of the larger employers in northern Maine (800 employees) just announced that they would be shutting down because they are oil-dependent and cannot afford the increased cost of doing business. This, of course, has a ripple effect that probably affects several thousand people. Replacement jobs are simply not available in Maine. Theft of fuel oil and wood is already happening and there is genuine fear being expressed about what will happen this winter. Mainers are a hardy and innovative group of people. They love their homes and many will find a way to get by - but there will be deaths among the old, the frail, and other less fortunate souls when the heat goes off and they have no place to go. Like many of us on the forums, I'll substantially curtail my travels this summer by sticking close to home. I have options - but all too many do not. By no means do I intend to admonish those who are taking long trips with their Airstreams. I would love to join you! Just pray that we can find a solution to the high cost of fuel before it literally brings this nation to it's knees!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Smile You bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Does Airstream make a tent?
Yes, they do--it's called a Base Camp. From what I hear they will be more than glad to sell you one!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Wheres Our Gov't

A sad state of affairs when a Sheik from Qatar donates 100 million to Katrina hurricane relief and our pols have there fingers up their backsides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Interestingly enough, I noticed that all of the preceding comments were from folks in relatively warm climate areas. It's not the fuel for our vehicles that's worrying most of us here in the Northern areas - it's the price of heating fuel for our homes! My heating fuel costs last year - for a new and highly efficient home were $2,375.00. That represents an average price of around $2.79/gal. This year, the cost is already approaching $4.79/gal for a net increase of $1,702.00. The older, and often highly inefficient homes, can easily see double that increase - and all too many of these older homes are occupied by people who can ill-afford the increase. Yesterday, one of the larger employers in northern Maine (800 employees) just announced that they would be shutting down because they are oil-dependent and cannot afford the increased cost of doing business. This, of course, has a ripple effect that probably affects several thousand people. Replacement jobs are simply not available in Maine. Theft of fuel oil and wood is already happening and there is genuine fear being expressed about what will happen this winter. Mainers are a hardy and innovative group of people. They love their homes and many will find a way to get by - but there will be deaths among the old, the frail, and other less fortunate souls when the heat goes off and they have no place to go. Like many of us on the forums, I'll substantially curtail my travels this summer by sticking close to home. I have options - but all too many do not. By no means do I intend to admonish those who are taking long trips with their Airstreams. I would love to join you! Just pray that we can find a solution to the high cost of fuel before it literally brings this nation to it's knees!
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog
A sad state of affairs when a Sheik from Qatar donates 100 million to Katrina hurricane relief and our pols have there fingers up their backsides.
I'm afraid that an answer won't come until our Government listens more to the people than the oil companies. Within the last two weeks the heads of the major oil companies testified before Congress about the rising costs. Surprisingly, not one admitted that their high earnings were not warranted. They dared Congress to re-enact the excess profits tax or to reduce or eliminate the tax deductions and tax credits that are specific to their industry. Then there is the investigation into the manipulation of oil futures trading.

I started this thread with the painful realization that high fuel prices were but the tip of an ice berg that may sink us all. I apologize to anyone who felt that I was ignoring the plights of others in the northern states that are also petroleum related. I'm scared of what may be looming on the horizon for us all as the impact of the oil prices trickle down into every part of our daily lives.

There will come a time when my travel will be limited, and I dread its coming. Until then I'll keep my Airstream on the highways, but I will spend less in the local communities than I have in the past to help offset my fuel costs.

________Tom

Old 06-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Another problem is that there are a number of politico's who want the price of fuel to stay high. Force us to change our ways.
If you're in a lower income bracket, you can't afford to trade the 1993 Explorer for a hybrid. Nor, can you move into the city.
As for airstreaming, we travel about 3K/year. It will cost us an extra $500 in fuel compared to a year ago. We are fortunate that we can shift funds from elsewhere.
Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
I started this thread with the painful realization that high fuel prices were but the tip of an ice berg that may sink us all. I apologize to anyone who felt that I was ignoring the plights of others in the northern states that are also petroleum related. I'm scared of what may be looming on the horizon for us all as the impact of the oil prices trickle down into every part of our daily lives.

________Tom
No need to apologize. We all understand what's happening - but we just don't know how to fix it! I'm personally committed to driving 55 - towing or not. That gets my gas mileage up to around 14 mpg towing and 23 mpg running solo. I've also committed to driving the old '91 Saab convertible when the truck is not absolutely needed. The Saab will get around 32 mpg if I drive it gently. The wife drives a '93 Subaru that gets 28 mpg religiously. If you add the Saab and Subaru together they're still not worth $10,000 so trading for a higher mileage capable (32 to 44 mpg) vehicle is out of the question. I'm sure that many others are in the same boat. The net result of this plight, for all of us, may be that we just cherish our Airstream travels more than ever - not taking anything for granted!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
It may be bordering on a rationalization on my part, but when we travel I try to deduct the costs of the fuel and resources we would have spent if we had stayed at home. This would include the cost of food, recreation, and any extra energy we may have expended to maintain the ideal temperature in our home if we were there. We also try to compensate a bit by not dining out as much, overnight parking at Wal-Mart/Cracker Barrel (when nothing else reasonable is available), and taking more of our existing supplies from home with us, instead of buying while on the road.

So far, he Airstream experience still outweighs any additional travel costs.

That's my story, and ...

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote