Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Cherry Hill has received good feedback here. They have a shuttle to public transportation stops, I believe, so you don't have to drive and park in DC.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'm partial to Gettysburg, it's my hometown Numerous campgrounds in the area.

If y'all are civil war buffs, Appomattox, to Charlottesville and Monticello, to Manassas, to Harpers Ferry and Antietam, to Gettysburg makes a nice run on beautiful country roads.

If you're in the Beaufort area I highly recommend Parris Island, there's a great Marine museum there, showing their history, plus it's pretty awesome just being there.

Here's a bonus pic of some of my goodies from metal detecting around the 'burg (Gettysburg):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150406_194644.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	281783  
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #23
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
In NY, you can not go thru tunnels with propane, nor can u drive on anything called a Parkway. You can camp at Flyod Bennett Field, a National Park in Queens where Charles Limburgh flew from, then take mass transit to the city. Central Park Zoo for kids!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucksrul View Post
Thanks everyone for the ideas, I like all of them!
. . .
Keep 'em coming!!
When you refine your route, it might be a good idea to post again, as Sbb's advice about propane in tunnels introduces a topic which would be very helpful to know in advance. For instance the Baltimore tunnels also have propane restrictions, as do certain bridges like the George Washington across the Hudson at the tip of Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
In NY, you can not go thru tunnels with propane, nor can u drive on anything called a Parkway. You can camp at Flyod Bennett Field, a National Park in Queens where Charles Limburgh flew from, then take mass transit to the city. Central Park Zoo for kids!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
In NY, you can not go thru tunnels with propane, nor can u drive on anything called a Parkway.
I didn't know that! We've often taken our trailer on the Niagara Scenic Parkway (formerly Robert Moses Parkway) when we visited Four Mile Creek State Park.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #26
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
I didn't know that! We've often taken our trailer on the Niagara Scenic Parkway (formerly Robert Moses Parkway) when we visited Four Mile Creek State Park.
I don't think it applies to ALL "parkways" but it is definitely the case that you should double check whenever you see that term. [Robert Moses, oddly enough, is the very person who built low bridges across a lot of parkways with the hidden purpose of preventing buses (read: poor people) from using those roads.] The Parkways in Connecticut are similarly restricted and you should check. I think you'd find that the clearances are high enough for an AS, but it's still against the law.

If you find yourself in Western MA, a drive through the Berkshires (Pittsfield) is beautiful and classic New England. Historic Deerfield is a treat, as is Sturbridge Village. LOTS of stuff to see in Boston and on the north shore as you head toward Maine.

Vermont is a great sojourn if you're into the outdoors. The Vermont Country Store and Ben and Jerry's are a couple key places, but they are far apart. There is however a nice close collection of attractions on I-91 ... near Woodstock, Quechee (Simon Pierce), King Arthur Flour Company, Montshire Museum (GREAT), the VINS Raptor Center... and Hanover, NH (which is where Dartmouth is) is right near there too.

In New Hampshire, check out Mount Washington (record holder of worst weather in the world) and take the "cog railway" to the top for a special treat.

For small kids, "Storyland" in northern New Hampshire is a really nice theme park that's based around classic fairy tale characters. It's got a really nice feel for littler kids and has somehow survived without being overly commercialized.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:18 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Re: NYS "Parkways", the answer is that you cannot operate an RV (either self-propelled or towed) on them. They are defined as "House coaches" in the law:

"House coach. Any vehicle motivated by a power connected therewith or propelled by a power within itself, which is or can be used as the home or living abode or habitation of one or more persons, either temporarily or permanently. In the application of these regulations to house coaches, a house coach propelled by a power within itself shall be deemed a motor vehicle, a house coach motivated by a power connected therewith shall be deemed a trailer, and all house coaches shall be deemed vehicles."

Also, since many states (including NY) require "commercial" or "business" tags on 3/4 ton or larger pickups, they are also prohibited, even if not towing.

http://www.hudsonvalleytraveler.com/...aysOverview.pl
Old 03-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
The above being said, there are still thousands of miles of great 2-lane and even Interstate highways which are beautiful drives through the Empire State! (I believe the record for hauling a trailer where you shouldn't still is held by a Quebecois truck driver who managed to drive his 18 wheel tractor trailer 26 miles up a logging trail in the Adirondacks during a blizzard. Now, there's a driver!)