Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
North Alabama & Tennessee ... campgrounds?

Planning a trip from North Florida to Tennessee (western part of the state, but we may have time to explore elsewhere in the state, too).

Looking for nice campgrounds and interesting things to do along the way. Route is flexible ... not yet locked anything down.

Any recommendations?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I have family in Scottsboro (north AL) and we stay at Goosepond Colony Campground while visiting. They always save sites next to the lake (Guntersville) for transients - which is opposite from what other campgrounds do. There is also a golf course. Another interesting thing in Scottsboro is Unclaimed Baggage.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
North Alabama, try Monte Sano State Park, just east of Huntsville.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
Also look at Cloudland Canyon in west Georgia just south of Chattanooga and Desoto near Fort Payne, Alabama.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:30 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Also Desoto State Park in the very northeast corner of Alabama, just on the other side of the Alabama/Georgia border from Cloudland Canyon.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Mount Pleasant , Tennessee
Big South Fork, Fall Creek Falls, Rock Island, and Natchez Trace State Park in Tennessee.
fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
Planning a trip from North Florida to Tennessee (western part of the state, but we may have time to explore elsewhere in the state, too).

Looking for nice campgrounds and interesting things to do along the way. Route is flexible ... not yet locked anything down.

Any recommendations?
I have stayed at Cullman Campground, Cullman, AL, about 1 1/2 miles west of I-65 and 1/2 mile south of SR 157, many times. A quiet site, very friendly owners, full hookups and low rates.
My favorite route out of FL to western TN is via US 19 to Albany, GA, then NW to Columbus and Birmingham, AL. Four-lane all the way and very little truck traffic.
Jack
JLAbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
This is more center of the state - Wind Creek State Park is an excellent campground. We stayed there on two different occasions both times on the water different sites and both were very quiet.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I have family in Scottsboro (north AL) and we stay at Goosepond Colony Campground while visiting. They always save sites next to the lake (Guntersville) for transients - which is opposite from what other campgrounds do. There is also a golf course. Another interesting thing in Scottsboro is Unclaimed Baggage.

Pat
Thanks for the Goosepond Colony recommendation. I will check it out.

What might "Unclaimed Baggage" be? Hey, could be a good name for a band.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If you can get to Nashville we highly recommend Safe Harbor RV Resort. Right on the lake and beautiful. Of course, lots to do in Nashville.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
North Alabama, try Monte Sano State Park, just east of Huntsville.
I will give the state park a look. I've never heard of it, so thanks for the tip.

I've driven I-59, not in the Huntsville neighborhood but up in that area, and parts of it had some nice scenery.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod White View Post
Also look at Cloudland Canyon in west Georgia just south of Chattanooga and Desoto near Fort Payne, Alabama.
We camped at Cloudland Canyon about 10 years ago. Stayed in a cabin, actually. My wife didn't care for ... found it gloomy, but the park was socked in with heavy overcast and some fog the whole stay ... being from Florida, we grow grumpy if we don't see some sunshine after a day or two.

What did you like about Cloudland?
Old 01-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Also Desoto State Park in the very northeast corner of Alabama, just on the other side of the Alabama/Georgia border from Cloudland Canyon.
OK, on my list ... thanks. I've been near there but only in Georgia.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
Big South Fork, Fall Creek Falls, Rock Island, and Natchez Trace State Park in Tennessee.
Wow, Rock Island State Park ... looks kinda gorgeous. I'll see if I can work that into our route up to the Volunteer State or the way back.

Are the Tennessee state parks in good shape? I saw one review that indicated they were not being maintained well.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
This is more center of the state - Wind Creek State Park is an excellent campground. We stayed there on two different occasions both times on the water different sites and both were very quiet.
Wind Creek State Park is in a good location for us. Our route might go right by it. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAbne View Post
I have stayed at Cullman Campground, Cullman, AL, about 1 1/2 miles west of I-65 and 1/2 mile south of SR 157, many times. A quiet site, very friendly owners, full hookups and low rates.
My favorite route out of FL to western TN is via US 19 to Albany, GA, then NW to Columbus and Birmingham, AL. Four-lane all the way and very little truck traffic.
Jack
Chances are good we will end up on I-65 at some point. I'll keep the Cullman Campground in mind. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
If you can get to Nashville we highly recommend Safe Harbor RV Resort. Right on the lake and beautiful. Of course, lots to do in Nashville.
Right now, Nashville is not part of this trip, but ... still early in laying out our travel.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
I live in Lebanon, TN, just east of Nashville. TN State Parks are well maintained. Corp of Engineer Parks (COE) are also well maintained. It can be a challenge to find a level campsite in some of the Parks however.

Reel Foot State Park, Land Between the Lakes National Rec Area, Pickwick Landing State Park, David Crockett State Park are all exceptional.

Depends on the time of year as to the availability of camp sites. However, even during the summer, if you go into a park on a Monday or Tuesday, you will usually find a site through Thursday night, due to reservations being held for Friday through Saturday and Sunday nights.

I use the Allstays app to find places to stay.

We do have limited Federal and State Forests where you can boondock.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Florence , Alabama
Joe Wheeler state park is very nice and on the river. Also, McFarland Park in Florence AL has the most beautiful sunrise and sunsets on the water. We stay at both every year.
losfeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
There is an RV park next to the Space and Rocket Center. It's a little high in price and the sites are close together. We really like Ditto Landing. Right on the Tennessee River and also connects to the bike Greenway that goes several miles into South Huntsville.
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote